1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Tiny Tina from Bl2 racist and possibly getting edited/removed

Discussion in 'Games' started by 1ceTr0n, Feb 6, 2013.

1. 1ceTr0n

Thanks Received:
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2013
  2. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    why at the end of his comments does he say he quit? How do you go from fired, to I quit but said fired cause i didn't like the way I quit?!?!
  3. 1ceTr0n

Thanks Received:

[​IMG]
  4. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    These Twitter users that started pointing fingers and calling Anthony Birch a racist are the bigoted racists.

Tiny Tina is a fictional character, created out of imagination. So if in real life there was a little white girl who talked with an "urban vibe" (pardon the racism) would this little girl be considered a racist?

It's all about intent and the intent just isn't there. The world is run by the terrified politically correct. Very sad.
  5. hellrazor

hellrazor

Thanks Received:
    Just imagine Cartman, but differenter. It's actually quite entertaining to notice how close their style is compared to him.
  6. NinkobEi

NinkobEi

Thanks Received:
    i refuse to download any patch that removes tiny tina ;/
  7. fasteddy2020

Thanks Received:
    Just watch Jerry Springer. Tiny Tina is on there everyday. What is next, no more Shaggy because he eats Scooby snacks?
  8. mlee49

mlee49

Thanks Received:
    Can someone copy and paste the text here, I cant access the site from my work pc.
  9. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    Same here!
    Crunching for Team TPU
  10. RCoon

RCoon Forum Gypsy

Thanks Received:
    Dont like the character? Dont play the game...
    I hope they stand up for themselves and tell these over zealous morons they're not changing a thing.

The Borderlands 2 character Tiny Tina came under fire last night, as a Twitter discussion between the game’s lead writer, Anthony Burch, and some of the game’s players raised the question of whether her characterisation was racist. In the game, Tina – an explosives expert, and child – speaks using African American lingo, in a way that one Twitter user compared to “verbal blackface”.

It began when Mike Sacco, creative developer of Cryptozoic Entertainment – a creator of trading card and iOS games – sent Burch the tweet, “Hey. I really like BL2′s writing, but Tiny Tina’s trope of “white girl talkin’ like them urban folk!!” has got to go.”

Others agreed, tweeting responses like, “Its exaggerated stereotypical low class “black” lingo that with Tina amounts to verbal blackface.” Another user pointed out that, “She equates stereotyped ebonics with wacky.” To that, Burch conceded, “Hrm — that’s an interesting point. I meant to make her a mishmash of stuff (ebonics/fairytale/naivete) but I see what you mean”.

But many sprang to Tina, and Burch’s, defence. Gearbox head Randy Pitcford claimed, “Tina is not racist because you are not racist. You’re a pillar of tolerance and inclusion.”

Burch finished by saying, “The last thing I want to be is exclusionary or prejudiced, so if Tina truly is problematic I’ll change her,” but added, “I’m just not convinced that a character using lingo like badonkadonk/crunk is inherently racist. If I’m wrong I would like to know why.”

He also confirmed that any potential change to Tina’s character would only apply to future content. When asked if he’d re-do her sections, Burch replied, “That’s not actually feasible within the technical constraints of the game, but I’d alter her dialog in any future BL stuff.”
  11. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    he was a contractor. he disparaged the company publicly rather than bring up the issue in private. you bet your ass he should lose his job. unprofessional-ism like that is unacceptable.
  12. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    I have seen way more racism in other games and nothing said. Tiny Tina made 25% of the humor of BL2
    Crunching for Team TPU
  13. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    No one bitches about the Inbreeds with southern accents or the stereotype Irish in this game. But a white girl talks a little ghetto and people cry. Grow the F#$K up. No one gives a s#!t anymore.
  14. NdMk2o1o

NdMk2o1o

Thanks Received:
    This was in one of the comments and is so true, we have the same kind of people in the UK, you know the ones who want their communities to be made up of "their people" and have "their clubs and associations" like the black police association and such, wonder how it would be looked upon if I created a white peoples club, oh yea they did that back in Germany in the 1930's/40's :rolleyes:

These people need a good kicking imo :nutkick:
  15. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    i don't really care if tiny tina is racist or not. the lack of professionalism by that dude warrents being fired. you don't talk bad about the company you are working for publicly and expect to keep your job. if you have an issue with the development you bring it up privately and have an in-house discussion.
  16. mlee49

mlee49

Thanks Received:
    A) Who was fired/quit? Mike Sacco or Burch?

B) Why is it racist when a White girl emulates Blacks but when a Black emulates whites it just humor.
    xvi says thanks.
  17. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    I grew up on the South Side of Chicago, I currently work on the South Suburbs. I see white girls all the time talking like Tina. The fact of the matter is that your lingo/slang is based on the environment you grew up in and your current environment.

The who idea of "talks black" or "acts black" or "dresses black" is complete bullshit, and anyone that is offended by a white person "talking/dressing/acting black" is the real racists.
    Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  18. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    There is a respected TPU member that I play BF3 with sometimes who happens to be black. He told me about Tiny Tina well before I played the game and loved her. After playing BL2 and experiencing Tiny myself I understood fully what he was talking about when he would scream "KILL ALL THE BABIES!" Its just humor man. He got it and I think this guy who got fired/quit is just a hater. So I don't think this is a black/white issue. I think this is just a retard issue because BELIVE ME if I even say "boy" in the most innocent way to another member I hear about it from him. He would have bitched about Tina if there was any REAL issue. lol
  19. RCoon

RCoon Forum Gypsy

Thanks Received:
    B) because people get sued and lose money when that happens, because thats how our so called "equality" works.
    I quite happily emulate various cultures at work for the sake of humor, without aggressively bashing them, and my Indian boss finds it quite hilarious.
    Seriously, ask a black guy if he finds Tiny Tina insulting. I bet half the people complaining about her are white.
  20. RejZoR

RejZoR

Thanks Received:
    For god sake, it's a freakin game! They are bothered by the spech used for the freakin imaginary character. Then again why no one is screaming all over the place that a child is playing an explosives expert and that you shoot robots in a freakin made up non existent world. IN A FREAKIN GAME.

Which part of it they don't understand?! They can look like a turd with triple boobs and talk Chinese with a Vulkan accent for all i care. It's a sci-fi game. Quad facepalm.
  21. catnipkiller

catnipkiller

Thanks Received:
    This reminds me of the people raging out about some picture in a cod game in a bathroom. If people cant handle the internet then get off and quit making a big deal out of nothing.
  22. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
    That was pretty unprofessional in the way the employee handled it. As for the content, its slang its not racism. If its racism go to London and see all the "white" kids who talk a bit of street slang and anyway its a fucking mix of races.

Theres black dudes here who talk with a Glasweigan accent.
  23. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Demoman from TF2? :laugh:

I'M A BLOODY CYCLOPS!
  24. razaron

razaron

Thanks Received:
    I like to refer to these type of peoples as Butthurtians from the planet Butthurt.
  25. the54thvoid

the54thvoid

Thanks Received:
    Without having read any of the source material it looks to be a simple case of the publisher (out of touch white men is suits) being massively over reactive to some overly sensitive and attention seeking internet trolls.

Nobody should get their knickers in a twist - this kinda happens all the time across the planet. Until we're all the same colour, this shit's going to keep flying around.