1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Tired of my case, please help me choose new one

Discussion in 'Cases, Modding & Electronics' started by Octopuss, May 3, 2011.

1. Octopuss

Octopuss

Thanks Received:
    This is a little bit weird question but well...
    I have Antec P182 case and I like it, but I've had it for a few years and I really feel like I could go with some fresh looks and few differences.
    The case is good. I like how solid it is (friggin' weights a lot too ;P), and I don't have to use too many screws either.
    There are a few things I am not that happy with though, and based on that I would like to hear some recommendations:

1) bottom-mounted PSU:
    While this is not a priority, I would like to have the standard top-mounted case. Somehow I think the airflow would be a little better if the blody thing was on top.

2) Top FAN:
    I hate this. I constantly have to keep the grille covered with something cause after some experimenting with mounting a FAN there I realized it only makes things worse than better. I am doing much better with standard rear outtake.

3) Bloody blue LEDs:
    Pure cosmetics, but I refuse to dig into this myself (and I have no knowledge about electronics anyway), and I simply love the classical green power and red HDD LEDs :D

4) too many drive bays:
    Of course I knew I'd have plenty of those when I bought big case, but come on, I only wanted plenty of room for air :p I'd like a case which is not small, but simply has enough room for everything without being meant for RAID junkies.

5) The case doors:
    Theoretically good idea, but I kicked this stupid thing off several times :D Something more sturdy and simplier would work better.

Is there anything that could (at least partially) satisfy my ridiculous needs out there, let's say in same category as Antec? I woul like to avoid stuff like Lian-Li as those are really ridiculously expensive.

2. entropy13

entropy13

Thanks Received:
  3. Octopuss

Octopuss

Thanks Received:
    Those are like the cheapest regular chases, unless I mislooked.

4. entropy13

entropy13

Thanks Received:
    The higher the price you go, the more likely the things you don't want (top fan, too many bays, bottom-mounted PSU) appear. :p

For example a Cooler Master HAF 932 is not flooded with blue LEDs +(it's red)...but it has a top fan and a lot of bays. And bottom-mounted PSU too.

5. assaulter_99

assaulter_99

Thanks Received:
    Or the HAF X take a look at it, from my experience, if you're the kind to kick in case doors, the HAF's will take it! ;)

But they come with air exhausts at the top. A lil modding could do, if that doesn't bother you.

6. Dacur

Dacur

Thanks Received:
  7. Octopuss

Octopuss

Thanks Received:
    I agree, but then again the cheaper ones are also pretty light and then more likely to vibrate and bug the user in other ways :(

8. melkhior New Member

Thanks Received:
    I always recommend the Silverstone FT02. It's a great case. A very good compromise between cooling and silence and an elegant design.

9. Yukikaze

Yukikaze

Thanks Received:
    Silverstone Raven 02? While it does have a top fan, it is really a rear fan due to the motherboard orientation. Most of the airflow is being pushed from below, and the non-window version is very sturdy. The only minus is a blue power-illumination V on the top of the front, but just don't connect it, or replace the LED with another color (red, green, whatever).

10. Octopuss

Octopuss

Thanks Received:
    Anymore tips?

11. Play3r New Member

Thanks Received:
  12. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    Silverstone's are beautiful but wow pricy. I love the Antec P182 maybe you could just mod it a little.

Or

Antec Lanboy air

Last edited: May 14, 2011
  13. Zubasa

Zubasa

Thanks Received:
    Definitely look for some of the SilverStone Cases.
    If the op wants a bottom mounted PSU take a look at the RV03.

14. Octopuss

Octopuss

Thanks Received:
  15. BootyTimeAlltheTime New Member

Thanks Received:
  16. rickss69

Thanks Received:
  17. random

random

Thanks Received:
    Take a look at the Corsair 650D or the Graphite 600T White version, both offer great aesthetics without sacrificing too much cooling performance. I had an Antec 1200 before hand and I can tell you from experience that the cooling in the corsair cases don't differ much at all, 2-4 degrees if anything.

Corsair cases also offer you to get rid of the drive cages altogether and both the graphite and 650D have an easy switch thing to open the side panels and they don't require screws and both have the option to lock the side panels with a key, overall I think you'd be blown away by what they offer. Otherwise I can suggest you look at Silverstone or Lian-Li's offerings.

EDIT: White LEDs

Last edited: May 28, 2011
  18. cookiemonster

Thanks Received:
  19. Octopuss

Octopuss

Thanks Received:
    Pretty cool looking cases there guys. But the one from Lian-Li I posted last kinda fits into my conservative mindset the most :) Still I'd prefer if it didn't have the bloody window (I assume it might not be the best for absorbing vibrations or cooling, but I might be wrong).

20. Octopuss

Octopuss

Thanks Received:
    So in the end I bought Lian-Li 8NWX and already regret it. I was expensive and I thought it would work the same or better than Antec. Unfortunately all the plates are terribly thin and the whole case is vibrating like mad :( Bollocks.

21. melkhior New Member

Thanks Received:
    Are you sure is the case? Did you try to turn on the computer without the HDD? Maybe is a dumb question, but in some cases the HDD produces a kind of vibration sound that is very annoying.

That's the reason I sold the Cooler Master Cosmos 1000 and I bought a year ago the Silverstone FT02. The good thing of your case is that if the HDDs produces the vibration you can solve the problem.

22. STCNE

STCNE New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thin aluminum panels will do that. My old Zalman GS1000 vibrated non stop. I'm curious why you want a top mounted PSU, bottom mounted ones work better, asumming they have a duct on the bottom of the case and face the fan down. That way its not affecting the cooling of the case.

23. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    maybe his case sits atop a fluffy 70's style shag carpet, yeah baby, yeah!:roll:

24. erixx

erixx

Thanks Received:
    lol

Octopuss: I have an all-alu Lian and no vibrations UNLESS YOU HAVE A DIYING HDD or bad optical reader maybe.

Your case is awesome, the fault is elsewhere!

25. Octopuss

Octopuss

Thanks Received:
    Well, I hate bottom mounted PSU because there is usually only a few milimeters of room between the bottom of the case and PSU itself, AND from my experiences there is much more dust on the ground level than what floats in the air. Plus, I simply like it on top :p

I don't think HDDs are the problem, because I have:
    - a SSD (no discussion there)
    - one disk in HDD silencer, which even has these rubber things between itself and the case
    - 2nd disk is mounted in a cage on these rubber pads packed with the case

The DVD drive is not doing jack, so it's not source of vibrations either.
    It MIGHT be related to the bloody stock cooler on graphics (5850), which is making too much noise for my tastes lately, but not sure...

I like the case (minus the window!!! gotta order solid side plate from somewhere), but the vibrations need to stop. Of course I expected the noise level to raise a tiny bit, because the plates on this case are thinner than on the Antec. But cmon.. This is wrong.
    (another positive thing is red HDD led :p)