1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Titan ITX status. (placeholder)

Discussion in 'Cases, Modding & Electronics' started by Lazzer408, Dec 2, 2011.

1. Lazzer408

Lazzer408

Thanks Received:
    The project manager for the company who waterjets called me back. His waterjet operator said the lense (over the LCD) is too small and it would drop through the grate in the waterjet. I was aiming at having the lense flush with the faceplate and the dimensions are critical for a press-fit clean look.

Obvious solution... What I decided was to try having the lense drop in from the rear. After drawing it up that way I like it better because the opening better serves the size of the display.

At this point, minor changes like this don't effect the tooling that's already been made for machining the part. It's just a matter of changing a few values in the CNC program.

Here's the before and after. What do you think?

Oh, and don't forget to thumbs up my video and leave some comments. :) Titan ITX's ITX Gaming chassis. Full size GPU....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 8, 2013
  2. illli

Thanks Received:
    i think your solution for the display looks better than your original idea

3. Vario

Vario

Thanks Received:
    Yep, good improvement!

4. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    Definitely better.

I shared your video link on my FB page :)

5. Gurudaz New Member

Thanks Received:
    My atech fabrication case I own has the same type of faceplate VFD> it sits behind the front panel. I like my atech case I'm still considering using it for my gaming console, but feel it might now be too large despite it being only 11" deep (which is why I purchased it originally) it's all machined aluminum, very high quality and should be good at heat disipation...but I'm still wondering what this case might look like and see if I can mod it if necessary. :banghead:

6. Lazzer408

Lazzer408

Thanks Received:
    I spoke with atech years ago about producing my chassis. To put it nicely he was "aggressively uninterested".

Which model do you have?

7. Gurudaz New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ya I spoke to them about a custom chassis as well, I think he mentioned somthing of a minimum order of about 100 units @ $800 a pop. :shadedshu

8. Lazzer408

Lazzer408

Thanks Received:
    Not much to update today. I started fiddling with the add-on hard drive bracket that holds the two extra 3.5" HDDs where the GPU goes. The solution attaches to the main drive bracket and is secured with one screw. It is also symetrical and idiot-proof to attach it. The combined drive assembly can still be removed as one unit. With the bracket, the chassis holds 3x 3.5", 1x 2.5", and 1x slim optical drives. The extra bracket will be sold separately for those uninterested in a graphics card. Mainly home theater users requiring the storage capacity which would be 12TB (3x 4TB). I think the majority of users will want the graphics card so there's no reason to add the cost of the bracket in every unit. All 3.5" drives are on anti-vibration grommets.

I was showing my woodworking friend how things are drawn and textured in CAD and slapped a Cherry wood finish on the top and side panels. He LOVED it. Now he wants one just to make a wooden enclosure for it. If I like how his turns out I may have him make a few extra. I'm sure someone, somewhere would like it.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2013
    lZKoce says thanks.
  9. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:
    sub! :eek:

10. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
  11. Lazzer408

Lazzer408

Thanks Received:
    I think I can show some of the parts without worrying too much at this point.

The first image shows the two drive trays locked together. I removed the properties from the lower tray so it would be easier to see.

The second image shows the drives in place.

Third image with optical drive added.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

12. Lazzer408

Lazzer408

Thanks Received:
    :D

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

13. Lazzer408

Lazzer408

Thanks Received:
    Here's the anodizing sample I received. I need to have a word with them about the greasy finger marks.

The switch button isn't in yet but I stuck an LED in there so you can see what that looks like. Last pic shows the screws in the corners.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

de.das.dude and lZKoce say thanks.
  14. juntzo

juntzo New Member

Thanks Received:
  15. Lazzer408

Lazzer408

Thanks Received:
    Neither of those hold a full size gpu. Knowing that, they're too big for their purpose.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2013
  16. Lazzer408

Lazzer408

Thanks Received:
    3am update?

My plastic parts should be finished Monday. Friday I might get to see the first set drop from the mold. This week 1000s of screws, stand-offs, spacers, grommets, o-rings, rivets, fans, bags, ect. all showed up. Man this is alot of stuff. I spent half the day tagging bins, bagging, and organizing everything.

I've been tinkering with the drawing because for the life of me I couldn't figure out why one of the sheetmetal parts didn't unfold correctly. I eventually gave up and just redrew the part. Works fine now. I also had another idea. Rather then glue the lens into the faceplate, I might make retaining clips to make it easy to remove, clean, replace, re-color, whatever. I have a friend working for a company that bends wire. Don't worry, it won't add to the cost. :) It's a fairly fast process. Have a look. Fastest Wire Bending in the World. AFE-2D6 ULTRA C...

Almost forgot. The eject button had a poor look/finish on the end that's visable. The button itself is stainless steel and would shine up great if I could only find a way to hold it without buffing my fingers off. I designed a tool to hold it in a drill so it can be spun to put a proper finish on it.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

• tool.JPG
      tool.JPG
      File size:
      16.1 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2013
  17. lZKoce

lZKoce

Thanks Received:
    The Silverstone stuff is nice, I was quite hyped about the ML05 (the 1st one you posted). Not just as HTPC, but daily use for me personally. But the PSU us really messing it up. Where I live I can only get standard ATX 140mm or 150mm or longer PSU's. Things like Flex PSU or SFX PSU are literally non-existent. Even if I get one, what do I do if it breaks down? And that single low-profile slot- I don't dig it. I know it's a slim chasis, but there are dual-slot low-profile cards, I just want to have the option that's all.

Keep up the good work, I really hope you can take off with your initiative.

18. Lazzer408

Lazzer408

Thanks Received:
    That was Juntzo who posted those up.

There's a ton of small chassis out there but they all miss the mark one way or another. It's not easy getting alot of power into a small chassis. The biggest problem in making a small chassis fit a large powersupply is making room for all the wiring. Until the industry starts making some changes in standards, chassis will continue to have their limitations. Take SATA and Molex power connections for example. What drives/devices have ever used the current those connectors are capable of? None. They can easily be half the size they are. The industry should also ditch the 3.3v, 5v, and negitive 12v rails. Completely useless. Everything could run off a 12v rail. If other voltages are required, they can buck it down on the PCB.

Intel is producing a slim ITX that has an IO shield half the height of a standard IO shield. That's a start towards slimmer computing.

The only company I can think of that takes advantage of every square inch is Apple/Mac. They make everything so it's easy for them to optimize space.

Computers are such a competitive market that it's probable not worth the risk to make a change in standards. Anyone who does would likely get accused/sued for "creating a monopoly" if their product is "too unique". That's the other problem, lawyers, politics, greed, ect..

19. Lazzer408

Lazzer408

Thanks Received:
    Fan shopping again. Here are some options.

1. 3-pin fans and 3-pin manual fan controller similar to a Zalman Fanmate. Adjustment is internal. Fan max 2000rpm.
    2. 3-pin fans and 3-pin manual controller WITH 4-pin PWM input. PWM Adjustment via. BIOS/software. Fan max 2000rpm.
    3. 3-pin thermistor controlled fans. No adjustment. Fan speed 800-2000rpm.
    4. 4-pin PWM fans with molex-powered controller with PWM input. Adjustment via. BIOS/software. Fan max 2000rpm.

20. t_ski

t_ski Former Staff

Thanks Received:
    This, but put a knob on the back so you don't have to open the case to adjust the speed.

Crunching for Team TPU
  21. Lazzer408

Lazzer408

Thanks Received:
    Two more down. The Silenx Effizio EFX-08-12 and EFX-08-15 (rated 1400rpm 12db and 1700rpm 15db respectively) are designed in a way that puts the edge of the blade parallel with the motor spokes. Not good. Congratulations Silenx, you've made a rotary siren.

If the fan blades are curved, they should curve in a direction opposite the motor spokes. If they line up it creates a shutter that chops the airflow which produces a tone or buzzing sound.

Here's a couple examples of what I mean.

The first image is correct. The second is incorrect.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 16, 2013
    Rowsol says thanks.
  22. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:
    lol, there are quite a few fans like that. i wonder what the designers were thinking.

"hey lets make this loud, so they know its working" :roll:

23. Lazzer408

Lazzer408

Thanks Received:
    I don't know what they were thinking. Probably about getting paid and going home. Not alot of pride in manufacturing anymore.

Is there much interest in a half-height GPU chassis? Something Xbox sized? I took a shot at a 10x10x2.5" version. Looks doable. Limited to a single SSD but it would have an internal 300w PSU without the need for a power brick. Something like that would come pre-built with an i5 and a GPU like that Palit GTS450 (shown below). It would be a totally proprietary system but it'll game and it's cheap.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

24. Lazzer408

Lazzer408

Thanks Received:
    Gurudaz - You may get you your wish. I make a bracket to hold a 120mm radiator above the motherboard. It holds the radiator but also blocks the air vents so airflow is directed through the radiator. This should allow AIO water coolers (like the Corsair H55) to fit but their 120mm fan will not be needed. Airflow would be provided by the current 80mm fans which amounts to 62cfm@2000rpm when running relatively silent. They may even outperform a 120mm fan because they're not choked up against the radiator. The H55 is slightly less at 57cfm 1700rpm. I don't have time to test a prototype right now but I'll place the required mounting holes in the current assembly and have a few brackets made to test later on.

25. lZKoce

lZKoce

Thanks Received:
    Consider the realease date of that card- Palit gts450. They are much smaller now:

Sapphire HD7750 low-profile

Club 3D HD7750

Zotac GTX 650 low profile

They are all about 17 cm in length. Just about a Mini ITX board.

Of course there is interest. ME :D Ever since I saw this little bugger. That's my home modding project. But I just want a scaled down version of Silverstone FT02- most beautiful case evar ;) Good thing, good people have it on SketchUp for me.