1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Titan Z review by Hilbert

Discussion in 'NVIDIA' started by hystorian, Jun 20, 2014.

1. hystorian New Member

Thanks Received:
  2. INSTG8R

INSTG8R

Thanks Received:
    Totally collapses under it's own "weight"

3. patrico

patrico

Thanks Received:
    it doesnt seem to be worth it at the price point its at, think id prefer Radeon R9 295x2 for half the price

Last edited: Jun 20, 2014
  4. RCoon

RCoon Gaming Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I'd prefer 2 290X's or 2 780ti's for 2/3's of that price :laugh:

patrico says thanks.
  5. Vario

Vario

Thanks Received:
    Well it can run Watch Dogs at 79 FPS in 1080p!

if the game requires that much VGA power ... wtf!?

6. GhostRyder

GhostRyder

Thanks Received:
    No thats just poor SLI/CFX performance on that game at the moment.

The Titan-Z is a flop, they knew it and decided to release it just for the sake of releasing a dual GPU card that someone will pay for. The professional world has the titan black at 1/3 the price, the gaming world has the 780ti, 290X, and 295X2 which all can be gotten into a setup with 3 or more cards and still be under the price of the dual GPU titan-Z.

The other thing is, even in the professional world you can get the Firepro W9100 which is actually rated for professional environments, 24/7 use, and comes with more memory at not much more so I see very little point to this except to Cuda devs. But even then, any Cuda dev will just run out and buy 3 Titan blacks for the same price as Titan-Z so that is even pointless on this...

7. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    Nice review, total fail by NVidia. Even the reviewer had to borrow the card, lol!

This about sums it up:

"The GeForce GTX Titan Z would have been massively impressive if AMD hadn't released the Radeon R9 295x2. :laugh: See, even at the low base clock frequency, the card manages to push out incredble performance. But often not at the level of the Radeon R9 295x2. In fact, at Ultra HD the Radeon R9 295x2 overall has the better gaming performance to offer. And it gets sooo much worse when you realize that the Radeon R9 295x2 is available at sub 1500 EUROs and that GTX Titan Z costs 2850 EUROs. No, your best alternative is to go with SLI, the GeForce GTX 780 (Ti) SLI in most scenarios will be 5 to 10% faster than the GTX Titan Z."

8. patrico

patrico

Thanks Received:
    lol blush touch├ę sir o_O

RCoon says thanks.
  9. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    I think you can get two 290Xs for closer to 1/3 of the price, at least here in the US of A. o_O

RCoon says thanks.
  10. the54thvoid

the54thvoid

Thanks Received:
    For the price of a Titan Z you will be able to buy a new Haswell-E CPU & Mobo (come September), Memory, PSU, 240GB SSD, a Classified 780Ti and a 1440p monitor. I mean FFS, WTF are Nvidia thinking? Titan Z is a really good card but the price is simply insane - it has no rational justification in any tech enthusiasts mind. And if somone buys a Titan Z for compute (without considering 2 Titan Blacks) then really, they don't understand compute very well at all. It's not often I criticise people for buying gfx cards (I bought one of the first batch of original Titans) but I think you'd need to be exceptionally naive or stupid to purchase a Z.

Dual GPU's have lost their way these days. GTX690 was the last superstar at a 'realistic' price. 295X2 is good but it's not frugal with power and it's not better than 2 custom 290X's. I'll stick to single GPU's for now.

Aquinus says thanks.