1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Titanfall Install Will Take Up 48GB On PC

Discussion in 'Games' started by Devon68, Feb 26, 2014.

1. Devon68

Devon68

Thanks Received:
    Titanfall is scheduled to release on March 13th.
    Quoting the article:
    ''The PC version will be a 21GB download, but once unpacked is when it becomes a true titan, taking up a sizeable chunk of space with its whopping 48GB install.''

I found the article on: http://www.game-debate.com/news/?ne...ll Install Will Take Up A Whopping 48GB On PC

I might have a 1TB drive but to me this is too big to download. Before asking I didn't try the beta, but watching gameplay footage from youtube I'm sure It's a great and fun game to play.
    Still I want to ask (and quote the article again): How big is too big for a game?

2. marsey99

marsey99

Thanks Received:
    wow!!!!!

that is huge for a laggy console port :O

Blue-Knight and Kaynar say thanks.
  3. remixedcat

remixedcat

Thanks Received:
    Eff that!!! Steam would murderize that to take a week!!!!

4. yogurt_21

yogurt_21

Thanks Received:
    3TB gaming raid, no worries on space atm.

5. Vario

Vario

Thanks Received:
    That sounds horrid how can it be so large?

edit: I am amazed that LoL even takes up 10GB? for a game that is essentially Warcraft 3 with 4 maps. This was when I removed it a few months back. I think it was that much, I don't remember but it was excessive!

Last edited: Feb 26, 2014
  6. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    So you want to eat the cookie AND keep it? Fancy shit take up space. Limit the resolution to 800x600 and use ugly ass textures and you can store it on one CD, but the internet would implode from the sound of bitching.

7. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    this isnt really bad. because game size is increasing at the same rate that space is getting cheaper the only thing that isnt keeping up is ISP speed availability per area. in which case man up and go buy a physical copy we all did it in 2007 it wont kill us to much now. Though we might need to find out were we put out dvd drives.

this is no diffirent then when we all needed to buy $200 WD 320GB blue drives because unreal tournament took up 14gb befor mods

JATownes says thanks.
  8. n0tiert

n0tiert

Thanks Received:
    well bf4 uses 34,8 GB with China Rising and Second Assault....
    3 packs more to come

9. Mindweaver

Mindweaver Moderato®™ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Hmm.. I'm glad someone brought up BF4 and it's size. Now let's look at TF with it's 6v6 player option with very small maps and no single player.. Yeaaaa, right 48gb I think not.. Anyone can see they are blowing up the file size to stop people from torrents. I have plenty of space for games that actually use it. Please give me a game that backs up the 48gb download, because I don't see it with TF. It was going to be a day one buy for me until they said it would be 6v6. I even liked the Demo, but pretty boring with so few players in a map.

Crunching for Team TPU
  10. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    The complexity of the game has little to do with the amount of space it uses. It is all about how many different textures and how big they are that matters. Compared to the textures, the rest of the game data is tiny.

A 21GB download isn't really that big. Heck, Batman Arkham Originals + Initiation was over 30GB and it was torrented like crazy.

Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  11. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    Titanfall is built on the source engine which is first built on PC

Crunching for Team TPU
  12. DF is BUSY

DF is BUSY

Thanks Received:
    COD GHOSTS was like 40gb too right?

13. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    My two biggest games are Max Payne 3 and Battlefield 3. Both are sitting at 34.2 GiB.

Crunching for Team TPU
  14. Mindweaver

Thanks Received:
    True, but I didn't see anything that would justify 48gb's in the demo texture wise.. I referenced BF4 not because of it's complexity, but the amount of objects in the game with different textures. I hope I'm wrong and the game is great, because I'll buy it.. I'm just not going to with 6v6 players. I hope they open it up for pc. Consoles will be limited to 720p until the first patch from what I've read today. I guess we will see. :toast:

Crunching for Team TPU
  15. the54thvoid

the54thvoid

Thanks Received:
    I ran on the 'insane' texture settings. It loaded the textures into the Vram (i think) as Afterburner reported close to 3.9GB of Vram usage. Perhaps over the full map release it simply has a tonne of texture maps to download? It did look quite nice on my system.

Mindweaver says thanks.
  16. Mindweaver

Thanks Received:
    Yea, my GTX680 only has 2gb.. I hope you're right and they have a lot more to add to the game, because I liked it all. I really enjoyed the parker part of it and the jet packs. :toast:

Crunching for Team TPU
  17. v12dock

v12dock

Thanks Received:
    GTA5 on PC I bet will be either around or bigger

FordGT90Concept says thanks.
  18. Blue-Knight

Blue-Knight

Thanks Received:
    And this will worsen every time they make larger storage devices. Give them 1PB, they will use 1PB... And it continues.

Could it be smaller? Of course, but they're just lazy and want to use all resources available for no benefits. Not a smart decision.

19. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    The Beta was only like 12GB though, so either they weren't using the full resolution textures, or they plan to have way more textures in the final game(hopefully this means more map variety).

Mindweaver says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  20. KainXS

KainXS

Thanks Received:
    I hope it means more maps personally, if thats it I would be happy

21. Devon68

Devon68

Thanks Received:
    marsey99 says thanks.
  22. ShiBDiB

ShiBDiB

Thanks Received:
    I've heard conflicting reports. After a writer put this on my site I did some fact checking and some outlets say it's actually only a 20GB install which is a little more in line with expectations. But I can't find any official quotes to support either.

Apparently the confusion is over this guy reporting on what the boxes say it takes, but then someone else rebukes it by saying the boxes were made in error and it's in the 20's

23. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    so the new one is getting bigger and bigger

24. marsey99

marsey99

Thanks Received:
    and that means what exactly given the amount of modification they have done to the engine?

windows and ios where both born from an ibm os. later modifications mean they are far from the same today so i am unsure of your point?

i play other games based on source all the time, i played the tf beta and found it was more suited to playing with a pad. playing it with a keyboard and mouse it was very sluggish and unresponsive compared to those other source games. that is before we talk about the horrid hit reg where you could see the impact of 3 or 4 rounds before the hud gave any indication and they would keep moving after taking fire only to drop dead 5 yards down the road whilst you was reloading.

size wise i was comparing it to other games i have have played which i have considered to be large at that time. bf3, hitman, saints row 4, sleeping dogs have all been 30gb. of those i would say that maybe the bf games have given the largest ingame world space while others have given a much more detailed world on a smaller scale. again from what i have seen of tf and the level of detail in the maps i would have to guess it must be shipping with about 15 or 20 maps. as they are far from from the detailed worlds like sleeping dogs or hit man and an not on the same scale as the bf maps.

25. RCoon

RCoon Forum Gypsy Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    It means it's not being ported from a console.

EDIT: I'm not arguing with you, I also have no faith in these developers, and the game will probably run as efficiently on a PC as a cheeseboard. It just won't be a console port.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2014
    brandonwh64 says thanks.