1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Titanium plated cables, benefits?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Aleksander, Oct 11, 2013.

1. Aleksander

Thanks Received:
    What are the benefits? There are also some ads about 'gold plated' cables
    [​IMG]

2. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Quite useless from my experience. No difference between bargain basement and omgwtbbq cables.

animal007uk and Aleksander say thanks.
  3. EarthDog

EarthDog

Thanks Received:
    The benefits are they will lighten your wallet for no reason. :)

4. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    It depends on the type of cable, but anything digital like HDMI it will be completely useless.

Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  5. ZetZet

ZetZet

Thanks Received:
    only works for analog signal really.

6. lilhasselhoffer

lilhasselhoffer

Thanks Received:
    The idea of plating is to prevent distortion in a signal. The idea is that either copper or steel wire, when interfacing with another material, will generate noise due to differences in resistance.

This is a problem when using an analog signal, as the noise cannot be filtered out. A digital signal can effectively filter out this noise. As others say, a digital signal either works or it doesn't.

Skip the cables if they plate, and charge extra for it. Only those that still use analog equipment will see a difference, and analog is disappearing from the general consumer equipment very quickly.

7. a_ump

a_ump

Thanks Received:
    isn't the plating still technically a difference in resistance to the copper/steel? I just see a gimmick, or is the plating close enough/fused that the resistance between plating and signal medium null?

8. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    They are really talking about gold plated connectors. Benefit is less possiblity of corrosion/oxidation, resulting in a poor connection.

Relayer says thanks.
  9. theoneandonlymrk

theoneandonlymrk

Thanks Received:
    whilst you are not technically wrong in that the cable will last longer Perhaps.
    a digital signal either gets through or it does'nt there is little to be gained with high cost cables since most live in the warm sheltered indoors ,actually in a socket all the time so weathering is limited:D

it is also technically impossible for a high cost plated cable to give any better a digital signal then a correctly wired reasonably priced alternate if both are new or in good condition.

cable manufacturer's were not just going to plod off to new jobs after the digital revolution were they:D

10. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    i dont think it will give you much difference, maybe its like 96 against 98
    so it doesnt matter

11. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    Well, but the signal has to get there, and the signal itself is still analouge (sort of, there is no such thing as a purely digital anything exept in software), and it makes use of twisted pairs (like ethernet TP), and if the cable is too shoddy it might not work, or just gives bit errors, when running longer distances. For those 30cm between the Bluray and TV you probably could use paper clips to get a signal, but for longer distances those $2 ten meter cables (I have no idea how much they cost) from Ebay might not work at all. HDMI 2.0 can shove 18Gb/s through a cable, and if it's a long one you sort of need a good cable.

Titanium plating I'm not sure about though. Isn't that tougher than gold? If it is, it might be good if you plan to plug/unplug the cable a lot during a long time.

The link below is sort of interesting:

http://www.extron.com/download/files/extronews/hdmi_ts.pdf

12. JunkBear

JunkBear

Thanks Received:
    ...and for info what omgwtbbq means? Could it be.. Oh.My.God.Want.To.Blow.Big.Queer?? :D

13. Frick

Thanks Received:
    Oh my god what the barbecue sounds nicer than the one with the cussing I guess.

JunkBear says thanks.
  14. JunkBear

JunkBear

Thanks Received:
    Thx for the explanation then :)

Last edited: Oct 12, 2013
  15. theoneandonlymrk

theoneandonlymrk

Thanks Received:
    You sort of go out and pay big bucks then I Said a reasonable, well built correctly wired cable not a two pound ebay item ffs
    Obv I personally as an electronic eng wouldn't buy too cheap but too dear a cable Is a waste of money too

Last edited: Oct 13, 2013
  16. Frick

Thanks Received:
    Yeah it was a general response to "digital = no worries about cable quality" thoughts that hums around the internet, I just happened to quote you. Looking at your post I might even accidentaly quoted the wrong post..

EDIT: Looking again, you said that either the signal gets through or it don't. That isn't exactly true (as you probably know), you can get bit corruption and loss if the cable is too bad and say runs along places where you normally want shielded cables (one example that probably is unrealistic :p).

17. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:
    NONE! NADA!! :p

ffs copper has the best conductivity. very close to silver.

18. Iceni

Thanks Received:
    Actually titanium plating could be of benefit in the correct application on a cable. Only if it is used on the connector to prevent wear. The downside is because the cable is so hard the female counterparts will take more wear. Similar to how a titanium coating on a drill bit works.

19. marsey99

marsey99

Thanks Received:
    i have oxygen free, silver cables for the speakers on my 5.1 in the livingroom. worlds apart from the copper ones they replaced but as said for a digi signal there is no point.

20. erixx

erixx

Thanks Received:
    oxygen free????????? Sounds like some sort of hair shampoo! hahahahaha

21. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Not even that, gold makes a better connection but the real difference is only noticeable to a computer

Just marketing..

22. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    I sort of agree with what your saying, and sort of don't.

On one hand, when buying a cable you don't really have to worry at all about its quality no matter how long it is. If they are manufacturing them to the length and selling them, then the cable is of a good enough quality to send a signal the length of the cable. I can buy 15ft cables off monoprice for $6 a piece all day long and not worry. Unless the company is just purposely ripping you off and selling a cable they know doesn't work, the cable will work.

However, the myth that HDMI(or anything digital) either works or it doesn't is totally false. I have a 15ft HDMI running from my computer at my desk around the room to the HDTV in the other corner. It works pefectly if I connect it directly to the computer and TV. However, at one point I had a HDMI coupler a 3ft HDMI->MiniHDMI cable added to the 15ft to adapt it for my GTX470. It "worked" in that the signal got through to the TV and I got a picture that was mostly what it should look like. However, there was clearly issues with bits being corrupted, there would be sort of a snow of red pixels on the screen. About 10 or 15 random pixels would flash red. But in this case plating the connector ends wouldn't have really helped, because everything already was gold plated. There was just too much signal loss going that distance through 2 cheap cables and a coupler, but there wasn't enough to totally drop out the picture either.

But at this point, for anything over 6ft I buy RedMere cables.

Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  23. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:
    thats not how titanium coating on a drill bit works. lol.

its titanium nitride and its a badass ceramic material. helps improve the mechanical properties of the cutting tool.

source : senior year mech engg