1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

To anyone playing games in Vista...

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by arover, Jul 29, 2007.

1. arover New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well, I'm building my new pc next week, and with a Q6600, 8800GTS, and 2 gigs of ram, I figure I might as well give Vista a try. But this is my question: Through the months, have the performance of the drivers, specifically those by Nvidia, increased all that much? From the articles I read dating back to jan/feb of this year, things weren't looking all that great with playing various games in Vista compared to XP. I ask this because I really wish to stick to one OS if I'm going to use Vista, but if need be I'll do a dual boot with xp. What do you guys think?
  2. von kain New Member

Thanks Received:
    well vista is still very rough around the edges give it some time though vista is a os mostly for the dx10 yet all the other innovations are for performance like readyboost or what ever wait a while...

p.s. it looks really good though
    arover says thanks.
  3. mandelore

mandelore New Member

Thanks Received:
    UK-small Village in a Valley Near Newcastle
    im a hardcore gamer at heart, and im on vista ultimate, tbh, there aint any difference, some games run better, others are just the same. Ive yet to see a game that runs lesser or is seriously impacted by vista
    arover says thanks.
  4. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    With that kind of power, you won't have any performance problems. It may be slightly behind XP in performance, but your games will still be perfectly playable, with your hardware.
    arover says thanks.
  5. mandelore

mandelore New Member

Thanks Received:
    totally agreed, only with low end systems may u see a performance hit
    arover says thanks.
  6. arover New Member

Thanks Received:
    That's what I figured, thanks for the replies, guys. Now I just have to wait and see how the next batch of games perform (ie Bioshock). August is the month for releases :rockout:
  7. mandelore

mandelore New Member

Thanks Received:
    i used to dual boot xp and vista, but now ive moved totally to vista, as is the testement to its gaming performance. in some areas its fractionally bhind xp, but its so minimal that even disabling some background taks and some optimisations could easily make up for it
    arover says thanks.
  8. newconroer

newconroer

Thanks Received:
    Saying Vista is this or that in comparison to XP is a bit of a crap shoot, considering we have no idea how people manage their XP or Vista.

Until you run either OS completely stripped down, to the barebones then you cannot make a fair comparison.

Since most people don't have stripped down operating systems, the arguements are irrelevant.

From a gutted, slimmed and really healthy system approach, XP wins hands down in every department.

I wouldn't recommend anyone use Vista as their primary OS yet; rather, put it on a second drive, and LEARN it, so when it becomes more appropriate, and more DX 10 applications are on the market, you'll be ready to move over full time, with an extensive knowledge of how to use it.
    arover says thanks.
  9. kwchang007

kwchang007 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I like Vista and I haven't seen a huge hit in performance. Yeah, maybe 1 fps and I don't even have a good gfx card. A 8800 gts won't have a problem.
    arover says thanks.
  10. mandelore

mandelore New Member

Thanks Received:
    i made my decision based on teaked xp AND vista, so im prety informed. and do you run vista, have you ever?

if not then your reccomendations mean squat. your telling peeps not to do this or that but unless you have compared both on your own rig your input is just hot air.

sure, xp wins in performance, but the performance aint that huge, and plus we have dx10 in vista, or did u forget that?
  11. HellasVagabond New Member

Thanks Received:
    Actually the fact that Vista can take advantage of multi-core CPUs better than XP ( in which you needed drivers and even then they couldnt take full advantage of even a dual core CPU ) is reason enough to upgrade to vista. The other reason is the 8800GTS which is a DX10 card.
    arover says thanks.
  12. tkpenalty New Member

Thanks Received:
    8800GTS + NFS:C in XP = god, in Vista = SHIT.
  13. V lyx New Member

Thanks Received:
    So atm does Vista 64bit ultimate work better than XP pro 32bit? When I say work better I mean performance in games. Also a question for those with Vista Ultimate 64bit, Do you guys run into alot of hardware/software compatability and driver problems?

Basicly Should I buy Vista Ultimate 64 or just use xp pro and wait till sp1 is out and then buy it?

[Sorry if I jacked your thread] :)
  14. arover New Member

Thanks Received:
    Vlyx- the funny thing is I asked nearly the exact same thing in another forum. I don't know how the forum rules are as far as linking to other forums, but I've been banned for some crazy stuff in other forums in the past so i'm not going to chance it. I'll just post the response to make it easier.

- "Is there much of a difference between 64 and 32 with 2gb of RAM?"

- "You mean in performance? Probably not at all...with maybe 64-bit like 1-2% slower due to the longer 64-bit binaries, and a tad faster in most 64-bit apps, and perhaps noticeably faster in some 64-bit apps like video encoding (though that I haven't had first hand experience with).

At any rate, the move to 64-bit is, for the most part, not motivated by performance but, rather, by the fact that 64-bit allows you to use more than 4GB of RAM with PAE enabled and more than 2GB of total virtual memory allocation per process.

Since I have 4GB of RAM I need to use a 64-bit version of Windows, because 32-bit versions will only see about 3.2ish GB depending on your hardware config. If you are planning on adding 2GB later down the road, I suggest you get the 64-bit version to avoid reinstalling later. Just make sure all your hardware is supported."
    V lyx says thanks.
  15. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    ditto and done with
    <-------said system
  16. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    My X1800XT performs just as well in XP as does a friends X1950XT does in Vista.

Then again, I have beat the crap out of XP, as well as my hardware.
    10 Million points folded for TPU
  17. V lyx New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thx, needed to know if dx10 would be worth it now and I don't like hitting the 2gb wall in 32bit which is why I asked about vista 64.