1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

To swap or not to swap (part II - the PSU)

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by musek, Oct 25, 2009.

1. musek

musek

Thanks Received:
    Hi there!

Few months ago I was asking you all a similar question - To swap or not to swap the GPU. I was wondering should I sell my HD4870X2 and buy GTX285 instead.
    Well - I've got really good offer on the X2 and bought 285 for a really decent price as well. Then, as history likes to repeat itself - something about 2 weeks before the launch date of Cypress I've (again! :D) got a really great offer on the GTX285 and sold it (I haven't lost a penny on that deal :)). So in the end - I was able to get my 5870 for the same price that I've sold the 4870X2 (it was even few bucks cheaper). And I can't say how happy I am about all of this.

Why am I typing all of this? Because history seems to be repeating itself again. :rockout:
    I might have a really great offer on my PSU - the CoolerMaster Silent Pro 700W. It's not a bad PSU at all, but with a few bucks I might be able to get Be quiet Straight Power E7-CM 680W. And I really (really) like PSUs from Be quiet.

And as I am horny about Be Quiet :)laugh:) I'm turning to your cold, reasonable, minds. :D Do you think it's worth worth spending some money on this swap?

Thanks in advance for any input! :rockout:

2. DonInKansas

DonInKansas

Thanks Received:
    Are you that annoyed with your current PSU? If not and it meets your forseeable power demands i say hold on to what you have.

musek says thanks.
  3. Homeless

Thanks Received:
    You can't go wrong with either choice tbh

musek says thanks.
  4. musek

musek

Thanks Received:
    There is one thing that I don't like about my CM SP - it have only one combined +12V rail and AFAIK most of really good PSUs ~700W have at least four strong (18-20A) rails...

5. p_o_s_pc

p_o_s_pc F@H&WCG addict

Thanks Received:
    1 strong 12v rail is better then multiple

musek says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  6. musek

musek

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for your opinion... One thing is strange for me - AFAIK it was ATX12V norm that forced PSU manufacturers to separate +12V rail to 12v1 and 12v2 (now even v3 and v4) rails. Cooler Master Silent Pro has ATX12V v2.3 and yet it have one, single rail.