1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

To thuban or not to thuban?

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by Relinquish, Mar 9, 2011.

1. Relinquish New Member

Thanks Received:
    Simply can anyone recomend it?

Currently, as you may have noticed, i've got an X4 but @ 3.5 for the moment and use it soely for gaming.

People seem to be liking it but i'm not sure. I would think it may work to my advantage @ 4ghz seeing as i've got a Sli set up.

I am however, going to wait for bulldozer to push its price down. I want to avoid a new platform.

What do you think?

2. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    You're already at the voltage limits with that chip. I have to say, I went from a PII 965BE to a PII 1100T and the difference was noticable to me in gaming. Plus, this 1100T runs stabe for me at 4.2ghz 1.48v while my PII couldn't do that and I ran that stable at 4ghz 1.46v. It's worth it if you can get a six core at a good price.

3. toastem2004

toastem2004

Thanks Received:
    not to thuban... and i'll admit im an amd fan. I cant really see any reason to upgrade other than to get new things. the cpu @ those speeds u have it is plenty to feed a gtx460 sli setup. If ur waiting till bulldozer, despite being a new platform; would be the thing to get as it *should* be quite an upgrade at that point. I've dont the "buy the best... of the previous generation" for 2 product cycles now, its not worth it as i feel the upgrade bug bite much too soon after purchase.

4. Relinquish New Member

Thanks Received:
    Wow thats a nice voltage for the overclock I must say. I personally backed down to 3.54 @ 1.48v which shouldn't hold me back but atleast the voltage is lower.

Do the 1100Ts overclock better than the 1090T? I might think so with a higher stock clock but the only thing is is the price diff is a bit much for 0.1ghz increase.

Also what games did you play? I'm not here to improve crysis as it uses 2 cores but I think BF:BC2 being multi threaded will love it and possibly Battlefield 3 with its new engine.

@toast
    I might consider bulldozer if nvidia comes out with an sli chipset for bulldozer. Otherwise it wont be possible to bulldoze

5. arroyo

arroyo

Thanks Received:
    Wait for Bulldozer.

6. Domestic_ginger New Member

Thanks Received:
  7. Jack Doph

Jack Doph

Thanks Received:
    +1 to that.
    If you wish to upgrade at some stage, exercise patience & wait for BD (if wanting to stick to AMD).

8. Relinquish New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yh I'll wait, I've been impacient before with upgrades but I've learnt the hard way.

Anyway, what would you guys say to an extra 4gb to go to 8gb. They're reasonably priced at the mo but at the same time I've heard that bulldozer has a 1866mhz mem controler. Also I was thinking that if I went down the Intel route with a i5 2500k that I couldn't use my RAM as it runs @ ~1.6v and they don't like over 1.5v as it may harm the processor.

Choices, choices.

9. BraveSoul

Thanks Received:
    bulldozer! just wait ,,keep things as is,,4gb is plenty

Relinquish says thanks.
  10. Relinquish New Member

Thanks Received:
    Actually I think I need something else more than a processor or ram, a Hard drive.

Currently sitting on a 500gb sammy and can't fault it :toast:

However I'm on my last 20gb (Darn you steam and your sales :laugh:) and am in need of a new HDD. I want to get atleast a 1tb and apparently the F3 1TB is quiet fast and even faster if I pair it in RAID 0 apparently. Never done raid so it will be new to be.

There are alternatives however and these are a standalone 2TB or an SSD. Standalone 2tb won't give me the same performance but is slightly cheaper and an SSD is too darn expensive for the GBs, not that they have 2gbs and i've heard things about possible future problems because of deleting and what ever.

I have questions though if I RAID 0 two 1TBs would I be able to see and use 2TB with good performance? Also I would like to keep the 500gb, could I add it to the mix or do all the HDDs need to be the same size? If so then I can always just have it as an E or F drive or what ever.:rockout:

11. TheLaughingMan

TheLaughingMan

Thanks Received:
    RAID is easier if you just read this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID

Long story short though, you would get an increase read and write performance, but you would double the risk of data lose. This is because RAID 0 strips data across both drives and if one fails you lose everything.

You would not be able to use the 500 Gb in the array at all. The only company I know with the software to let you do that is Drobo and their system is a NAS so it cannot be used as a boot system.

The simplest way to help your situation is to buy a single 1 or 2 TB drive as a secondary drive. Move all of your other non-OS data to it such as your music library, movies, person documents, pictures, etc. If you are like me that should free up a ton of space. If not, then their are people here with years of experience with RAID 0, 1, and 5 that will gladly guide you through the process of getting it setup.

If you are determined to avoid Bulldozer, then get the 1100T.

Relinquish says thanks.