1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Tomb Raider

Discussion in 'Games' started by Drone, Feb 7, 2013.

1. Drone

Drone

Thanks Received:
    T-Rex was a part of exploration at least in original TR not that retarded anniversary edition. It was waiting there to scare the crap outta everyone. Original T-Rex still makes me nearly jump out of skin even though I played TR1 so many times. I usually don't kill him, it's amazing that 90% of bosses in TR1 were optional and you could just leave them alone. In TRA everything was forced.

If that was true why there are so many crappy games that extremely popular?

2. BiggieShady

BiggieShady

Thanks Received:
    Sure there are extremely popular games that you or me find crappy for thematic reasons rather than gameplay reasons. For example, I'm not a fan of sport games, but most popular sports games are really well made. I find them uninteresting or even crappy from an entertainment point of view.
    The other kind of game crappiness is worse - tricking average gamers with hyped launch to boost initial preorder/sales makes for one time sale success - sequels don't do as well.
    As we measure popularity with number of sold units, hype effect will always be a factor.
    That's why we love Metacritic so much.

In fact, I challenge you to find me a crappy made AAA title that has user score on Metacritic higher than 8.

EDIT:
    Looking at my previous post, I used very general term "good game" in very general way saying essentially good game is good :D I hope this post clarifies what I meant

Last edited: Mar 25, 2013
  3. Drone

Drone

Thanks Received:
    bayonetta

4. OnePostWonder

Thanks Received:
    Close, but for both PS3 and Xbox 360, it has scores of 7.6 and 7.8, respectively.

5. BiggieShady

BiggieShady

Thanks Received:
    Maybe, I never played it because I don't like the genre. I'm inclined to dislike this game solely on that.

Is Bayonetta a crappy game because it is fundamentally flawed for everyone (imbalance, bugs, crashes, glitches and so on)?

6. Spider-Vice

Thanks Received:
    I also completed this game already, really good, and it does bring my HD6870 to a sweat :p Or my Q6600, because when it lags in more populated zones, the CPU usage increases and the GPU usage automatically decreases, so I'd guess it's a CPU bottleneck.
    Nonetheless, awesome game, loved it.

7. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    Whether you call it forced, contrived, or what it is, an ACTUAL boss fight, meaning you HAVE to deal with it vs run from it, Anniversary was one of few TR games that had a modicum of challenge to it. Between the platforming, timed apparatuses, and boss fights, Anniversary kept you on your toes, and it also had some decent puzzles. The single biggest reason it got so many complaints is many weren't up to it's challenges.

IMO they went overboard in reacting to those complaints, and now we have these overly tame, boring games with little challenge where tomb puzzles are too easy, there's no real boss fights anymore, and they've turned the combat into a casual shooter affair.

Odd you should call Anniversary "retarded", when it's everything SINCE then that's been dumbed down for the casual mainstream audience, and not just the combat. Relics are merely laying out in the open in destructible containers or in boxes in easy to find rooms now.

As you implied yourself, Anniversary addressed gameplay exploits in prior installments. What are supposed to be epic battles are more teasers than boss fights if you can just run away from them. The kind of games they're making now can be easily beat on any difficulty level, it kills replay value.

Lately Lara's persona is more fitting to a shy daddy's girl bimbo than an adventure seeking tomb raider whom has always had an attitude of putting justice first and her own personal feelings second. With the simplistic puzzles and combat and her incessant whining, this makeover has her looking like a Barbie Doll Tomb Shopper.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2013
  8. Spider-Vice

Thanks Received:
  9. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
  10. Xzibit

Thanks Received:
    I think they expected more from the company as a whole.

Square Enix president steps down following terrible year for the company

Production cost must have been high for the titles noted

11. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    Well it's far from my fave TR game, but I have to say I like it better than Black Ops 2. I miss the old IW CoD stuff.

12. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    It would of been prety high to turn out 4? good quility games in 6? months but sales it waaaaay to early and people are noticing it so the value has dropped.

But when you give your game away with a video card it gotta damage sales to some degree. Then you have places like Steam or worse GMG doing crazy sales with in a month if not a week later.

I think they fucked up and let places put there games on sale way too soon and lets face it even if you willing to pay $60 for a game why do so when ya can get a possible patched version weeks later and it be much cheaper to buy.

Like i said in another thread i would not of minded paying $60 for Hitman it's one of those games i am willing to pay for but it was $12.50 when i actually had the money for it.

I really hope this does not screw them so bad that the games quality they actually do drops to a point were they end up not being worth $60 for select titles.

13. Bjorn_Of_Iceland

Bjorn_Of_Iceland

Thanks Received:
  14. Drone

Drone

Thanks Received:
    What challenges? :confused: What are you talking about anyway ... Anniversary can be beaten in 2.5-3 hours. If "boss" fights in closed "arenas" where you need to use "adrenaline dodge" everytime is challenging for you then ... ok nevermind. Did you ever play Angel of Darkness or The Last Revelation? If you did I doubt you'd ever call anniversary a decent game.

15. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    So you refer to games in which you can literally run past such enemies as being preferable, yet a version of the game where you actually have to use a bit of strategy and timing to shoot and/or trap such a beast with contraptions in the map is easier and more boring? That makes no sense. Besides, overall challenge wise I'm not even referring to the battles with enemies, I'm talking about some of the tougher platforming in the game. The Pyramid level for instance was complained about most.

Yeah, I did play AoD, it was the first TR game I bought. It's known as one of the worst due to the many bugs and poor optimization on PC. It doesn't even begin to compare to Anniversary. I really don't see your point here either.

16. MxPhenom 216

Thanks Received:
    Just beat it with 79% completion. I may or may not go back and get all the little collectables or find more tombs. I did like 5-6 of them. Not sure how many there are, but pretty good ending. Now I want either the next game or a Single Player DLC!

EDIT: More then Likely ill probably beat it on the hardest difficulty, and that's when Ill do the 100% completion.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2013
  17. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    i got it about a week ago and finished it a little while back and my mother enjoyed it as much as i did although i think they could of made it more clear on what to do so you did not have to die multiple times.

One of the main reasons i did enjoy it for was it was not a tedious as i thought it would of been so no your millimeter of the edge you don't make the jump ( flashback comes to mind ).

Easy going game and hope they do more of the same quality which shows more now since i started to play Sleeping Dogs.

O yeah i did pay $44 but it was a good game and got a few other Square Enix games cheap too so the cost of the game was not to bad..

I want the next one already haha..

MxPhenom 216 says thanks.
  18. fullinfusion

fullinfusion 1.21 Gigawatts

Thanks Received:
    Subbed

19. MxPhenom 216

Thanks Received:
    Yeah I fricken loved the game. Almost didn't want it to end haha! My favorite game so far this year.

@AsRock how many hours did you get in your first play through? Im at about 16.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2013
    AsRock says thanks.
  20. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Think it's about 20 hours with many breaks (kids).. When my mother goes back to thee UK i be playing it though again with the wife lol..

Reason i wanted to play it though so i could get used to it as i thought it was going be another annoying TR game which it wasn't really and was actually more my type of thing.. I did wish they made it a bit more realistic though.

And really hope when they do another they do it based on thee past so the story can be believable too and plays like this one did but i am thinking it wont as they like changing stuff which is were most games fail for me (Large list of games ).

21. WhiteNoise

WhiteNoise

Thanks Received:
    TR rocked! I loved it. It is contender for game of the year on my score card but the year is still early!

MxPhenom 216 says thanks.
  22. Widjaja

Widjaja

Thanks Received:
  23. WhiteLotus

WhiteLotus

Thanks Received:
    You're just angry because she doesn't have big boobs for you to fap over any more.

24. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    They've always accentuated Lara's tits, and here it's no different. It's just that now they belong to a whimpering bimbo, vs an actual seasoned Tomb Raider/Adventurer. It doesn't help that the game is so easy it offers no challenge, even on the highest difficulty mode.

Some things about Bioshock Infinite are just as boring, but at least it has plenty of challenge on the tougher modes, giving it more replay value.

25. WhiteLotus

WhiteLotus

Thanks Received:
    It's a prequel. As in she isn't MEANT TO BE A SEASON TOMB RAIDER