1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Tomb Raider

Discussion in 'Games' started by Drone, Feb 7, 2013.

1. Drone

Drone

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]

Best pic of Lara for the last decade or so. She looks great

Solaris17 and GreiverBlade say thanks.
  2. Drone

Drone

Thanks Received:
  3. GreiverBlade

GreiverBlade

Thanks Received:
  4. GhostRyder

GhostRyder

Thanks Received:
  5. Drone

Drone

Thanks Received:
    They confirmed it's permanent exclusive

6. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    That is what they said about Dead Rising 3 and Ryse: Son of Rome, but both of those are coming to PC. Oh well, more reason to get an Xbox One soon.

7. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    exactly the opposite for me. I will not be getting an xbox one, and I never was going to. I will be getting a ps4, and continuing my pc gaming. I was really looking forward to another tomb raider game, but if they think I'm going to buy an xbone for THAT, yeah right.

really I don't see how this is a smart decision on their parts. I do have hope it will not really be permanent, but if it is oh well. their loss of customers.

8. 64K

Thanks Received:
  9. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    Can we finally agree now that TR has devolved into a simplified consolesque series and be done with it? I would have thought the overly easy, dumbed down tombs and platforming in TR 2013 would have made that clear in and of themselves, not to mention the swing toward it being mostly a shooter. They wanted to fool people with fire effects and cinematic cutscenes and a hunt for survival hype that never pans out in game, but it feels like it's merely a copy of another familiar console exclusive. Xbone's answer to Uncharted.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2014
  10. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    Tomb Raider was always consolesque although I do agree that the game so abandoned its heart and soul (puzzle/action/adventure) that it shouldn't even have the same title.

rtwjunkie says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  11. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    Exactly Ford, it's no longer about Raiding Tombs. The focus now is shooting, and it doesn't even have many dangerous encounters with wildlife anymore.

As far as platform influence though it's always been multi plat, never really swinging toward any one mechanic or bias, and more importantly, never being simplified in it's gameplay.

In past titles they thought nothing of throwing lots of mental and physical challenges at you. If anything they emphasized them. Now that's all changed.

12. Drone

Drone

Thanks Received:
    That's right it's all about TR vs Uncharted. But Uncharted will win now for sure, it's on more popular console. TR lost its charm long time ago but at least it was another game that could be played on pc, now it's just another M$'s toy

13. FordGT90Concept

Thanks Received:
    A few times with wolves is all I recall and they are quick-time events so inherently annoying. Killing the tigers in Tomb Raider not only was a unique and memorable experience, it also felt rewarding because they are tough.

Controls always had a controller bias. Environments were also always pretty small to fit the small memory footprint of consoles.

It was developed when the industry was coming off of cartridges. They had to compensate for lack of content (due to no capacity to store it) with difficulty. As capacity became increasingly available, games focused more and more on narrative and less and less on difficulty. Only indie titles are really bringing the difficulty back to gaming. AAA studios are still pushing prettiness and narrative.

Crunching for Team TPU
  14. rtwjunkie

rtwjunkie

Thanks Received:
    I agree with this as well. TR2103 has none of the character of the previous games. Even the previous rebooted 3 (Legend and Anniversary, primarily) kept alot of the puzzles/traps/ and difficulty. You still had to think a bit. Current reboot is fun...IF you don't think of it as a TR game. The future does not look good for the series.

15. GreiverBlade

GreiverBlade

Thanks Received:
    well quite logical if you take in account TR2013 is kinda "Tomb Raider: Origine" and can be considered as Tomb Raider 0 :roll:
    unless you mean by character: features (puzzle/traps/difficulty) i can't clearly define what i should understand by the whole post :D (blame it on my ... oh well no ... )

16. rtwjunkie

rtwjunkie

Thanks Received:
    LOL, no, I completely understand your confusion! English is such a confusing language with multiple meanings for the same word, including for many native speakers. In this case, I don't mean the character you play as...I mean the feel of the game, and all the features (like the puzzles and traps) that helped it feel that way. :D

GreiverBlade says thanks.
  17. Hilux SSRG

Hilux SSRG

Thanks Received:
    It's coming to PCs so that's awesome. I recently picked up the 2013 edition and can't wait to play it.

18. GreiverBlade

GreiverBlade

Thanks Received:
    well i did also understand that, but i like to be a nitpicker :roll: blame on my sarcasm or ... well you know :) and i clearly understand your point :toast:

rtwjunkie says thanks.
  19. Drone

Drone

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]

rtwjunkie says thanks.
  20. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    I can't say I see any evidence of that, at least with the titles I've played (AoD to current). Anniversary for instance is quite demanding in it's intricately timed and executed jumping and grappling puzzles, yet I never once felt the control scheme porting on PC felt compromised. And I say that being someone whom struggles with gamepads. If anything I think it's people whom suck at gamepads that know right away when a PC port is too consolish control wise.

My idea of a game that is heavily biased toward gamepad controls is one that has odd moments of clumsiness where it's assumed you have a toggle to move your character, like some of the Dead To Rights segments and some of the segments in even latter RE games where you're escaping on narrow zig zag or curved pathways. Even Arkham Asylum has such a segment where you're evading Killer Croc.

TR AoD through the 2013 Reboot never felt that way to me.
    Source?

Last edited: Aug 13, 2014
  21. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    To me the original 3D TR's were more like Flashback ( not the new piece of crap that came out recently ) which was great don't get me wrong but could be annoying fast with the petty must do it on the extreme edge like jumping was, but they did for sure make TR way to easy and would not of minded some of the challenge of the older ones gave just not so OCD like.

22. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    The amount of butt hurt on the internet over this is quite entertaining. I loved the TR reboot last year, played the shit out of it till I did pretty much everything. Might play through it again here soon. But I am planning to get an Xbox One in a few months, so ill be getting this new Tomb Raider.

23. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    Silly me but I actually liked the Dino fight in Anniversay better than the Tigers of Underworld. Something about the flow and use of side objects to add injury.

rtwjunkie says thanks.
  24. rtwjunkie

rtwjunkie

Thanks Received:
    @Frag Maniac: That really was one of the harder boss fights in gaming. I lost track of the number of times i died. Good stuff!

25. FordGT90Concept

Thanks Received:
    The irony is that if this new Tomb Raider game is as much of a shooter as the last one, the value of the game drops ten fold by being forced to do it on a controller.

Crunching for Team TPU
  26. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    LOL, you and I think a lot alike Ford. I was as well thinking it's gone shooter but now exclusively on gamepad, ironic indeed. This is what happens to gaming when deals are struck more around money than the quality of the games.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2014