1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Tomb Raider

Discussion in 'Games' started by Drone, Feb 7, 2013.

1. KingPing

KingPing

Thanks Received:
    A shooter with gamepad, in the machine with the lowest user base, and the weakest hardware. At least MS won't have to worry about PS4 achieving 1080p.

MS keeps screwing things over and over, instead of paying Square Enix for a game that won't help boost their console sales, why don't use the money to lower the Xbone price?.

2. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    This just added another reason for me to get an Xbox One. Isn't that an example of helping boost console sales?

3. KingPing

KingPing

Thanks Received:
    Sure, but IMO, they would benefit more of a price reduction than an exclusive game.

4. Drone

Drone

Thanks Received:
    Days when TR was a console seller are long gone.

5. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    I would say not nearly enough
    exactly. It's going to hurt TR sale's more than it will boost xbone's, in my opinion. very few people are willing to buy a console for any exclusive, let alone TR in 2014. So that mean's they only have people who were already going to get an xbox, who may get it sooner. that's not a big deal.

if there was a list of people who were never going to get an xbox, who now are because of this TR announcement, then it would be good for them. I don't see how it could be good for TR in any way, except maybe to create controversy and then release on everything else anyway.

Solaris17 says thanks.
  6. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    This its going to hurt TR because not enough people are going to buy it to help xbox one.

I for one am furious that they have decided to do this. I really enjoyed the 2013 reboot and I didn't find it so "shootery" as everyone else their was still a great amount of puzzles and fun. in that regard I think people are being too nit picky and iv been a fan since game 1.

I really hope they reconsider.

digibucc says thanks.
  7. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    Tomb Raider 2013 plays more like a Metroid Prime game than Tomb Raider of yore. Advancement in the game requires the acquisition of devices and you'll pass through areas you have been before but due to new tools, have access to new areas. The path forward in Tomb Raider was rarely obvious, the puzzles were actually puzzling, death was frequent, locations varied wildly, no stupid quick time events, the game did not rely on getting new tools (more like ammo and health), and the plot is unpredictable (other than hunting for treasure). Everything fundamentally changed, especially Lara Croft herself. I'm perfectly fine with never seeing a sequel because it fails to stand on its own merits seeing as it is no son of its namesake.

rtwjunkie says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  8. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    considering it was meant to be a reboot of the series i cant wait to see how disappointing you are in the future games.

9. Hilux SSRG

Hilux SSRG

Thanks Received:
    Timed exclusive - confirmed.

digibucc and Solaris17 say thanks.
  10. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
  11. newconroer

newconroer

Thanks Received:
    The new Tomb Raiders are like the new James Bonds for me. If they changed the name to ANYTHING other than James Bond or 007, then I would say 'that's a neat, action packed and fairly enjoyable film/game.'
    Seeing as they are hip and modern formula oriented, they go against their roots.

There's more interesting, detailed and explorable caves and tombs in Far Cry 3 than in TR.

Having said that, I enjoyed the TR reboot as a game on it's own, once I got past all the ridiculous shooting and the G.I. Jane remake of Lara.

FordGT90Concept says thanks.
  12. Drone

Drone

Thanks Received:
    Timed or not the damage is done and I'm sure it won't be coming to ps4

13. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    It doesn't matter whether it's timed or not, the damage to the series, like Ford and I have been saying, is already done. They've been dumbing down artifacts and relics since Underworld, and now tombs, wildlife and platforming with the reboot. The swing toward console simplicity and the Uncharted shoot and loot vibe has been going on for some time. So you see, it's sort of exclusively designed with that mindset, so it doesn't matter whether it eventually comes to PC, because the whole TR universe has been bastardized already.

What newconroer said has a ring of truth. Had it been any other game with different names and characters, it would have been universally accepted, but what they're doing is changing an entire franchise into something completely different, thus the feel of milking and bastardizing.

It may sound like a corny analogy, but I liken it to what Bear Grylls has become. He started out with a genuinely rugged survival show, and now he's got this reality TV crap going with average people or celebs, some too unfit to be out there, and putting his name on cheap gear that you can buy at Walmart. He even gives Walmart sponsored tips in the middle of the show. Yeah right, Walmart is the store I first think of for all my survival needs. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Aug 13, 2014
  14. Hilux SSRG

Hilux SSRG

Thanks Received:
    You thoughts can be said the same of the Battlefield series, for better or worse. Maybe one day Crystal Dynamics or another developer may swing back to the original core gameplay of TR from ten years ago?

15. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    Unlikely, once they taste the profits of mainstreaming a title into a a shooter, they've bitten the forbidden fruit. I can't blame it entirely on Square Enix either, because in reality Eidos themselves started dumbing it down with Underworld, regarding artifacts and relics. SE took it to extreme levels though.

16. Hilux SSRG

Hilux SSRG

Thanks Received:
    I hear you, there aren't any alternatives that come to mind. Here's to hoping a new dev emerges with something in the future :toast:.

17. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    What's really tragic is, most are still labeling it an Action-Adventure game, even though it's lost most of the cerebral nature of the adventure puzzles. By comparison it's now a mindless shooter.

18. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    utterly tragic ;)

19. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Don't forget all the money Square Enix lost either, i believe they have what it needs to make great games but great games cost money to make. And i would really hate to see Square Enix to go, maybe part of the issue is to much at one time.

Lets face it if TR looked like crap but had all the challenges that the older games had people would of bitched know end then too. Would be nice if they could expand on the last TR and make it more like the older ones but lets face it no matter how good a game is from Square Enix on PC PC user have just complained every step of the way.

And lets face it PC gamers are much harder to please than console user so who can blame them. This is what i love about Rockstar as they release GTA on consoles and deliver it for PC a year later knowing it's going take more time to finish for the PC but again this costs a load of money too.

20. Drone

Drone

Thanks Received:
    I'm sure now she will look good next to Halo and Gears of War

/sarcasm

21. newconroer

newconroer

Thanks Received:
    Forget TR, Square need to make another Kane and Lynch.

rtwjunkie says thanks.
  22. rtwjunkie

rtwjunkie

Thanks Received:
    Here, Here!! :toast: I'd love another chapter in their saga.

23. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Screw that, i want Just Cause 3 already.

RCoon says thanks.
  24. newconroer

newconroer

Thanks Received:
    Can't we all agree that Far Cry 3 has taken over as a better version(game) of Just Cause? When you're on those hang gliders, or the wing suit, into a parachute, I think I'm playing Just Cause, but I am happy that's not actually Just Cause : )

25. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    I played them both a lot and both are maturing very well and i just hope they do not come up with some crazy idea that screws either one or both of them lol. I hope they do expand on JC3 like the AC series has done.

RCoon says thanks.