1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Tomb Raider

Discussion in 'Games' started by Drone, Feb 7, 2013.

1. Vertrucio New Member

Thanks Received:
    For the most part, the game runs very smoothly on Ultimate detail settings (Ultra + TressFX). There are some specific areas in the game where the framerate just takes a nose dive despite other areas being very solid on my rig. I had to bump the details down to medium to play those segments since I couldn't aim with how low the FPS was. Otherwise, solidly optimized game.

I like tressFX, but they made the physics bounding box for the hair a bit too far from her body mesh, resulting in floating hair. Also, with how many times Lara ends up upside down, most of her hair stays glued to her head. The tech is also only on Lara, none of the other characters use it. Still, it's a good start to something that will hopefully see more widespread use. I'm getting a bit tired of all the female (and male) protagonists with short hair, or really clamped down hair. Then again, it's not a critical thing, there's better things to spend developer time and money on.

2. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    3960X @ 4.5 GHz, 2400 MHz ram @ C11, single ASUS Matrix HD7970 @ stock(1100/1650).

TressFX ON:

[​IMG]

TressFX OFF:

[​IMG]

3. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
  4. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Nope. Bench is kind of flawed, too; it doesn't do the same run every time, but results are pretty consistent.

5. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Not the same every time? That kinda defeats the purpose no?

6. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    A bit. Only what Lara does changes, the rest of the scene is the same. She'll do slightly different actions on each run. It shows in the screenshots I posted above, captured at the same moment. But it does give a general idea of the performance loss from enabling the feature.

Oh, and TressFX shadows for hair are a jaggy mess of crap. I turned it off last night when playing, honestly. Performance was fine with it on, but it looked like graphics from 1982 were on Lara's head.

7. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    That sucks. I hope the refine it more later. I like the whole idea behind it. Kinda like PhysX for the hair.

8. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    Does this game need Vsync guys, are you getting much screen tear without it? Hoping to get a solid 60 FPS if I have to use it.

9. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    That seems to be only in the benchmark. In game the shadows from her hair on her face look fine.

Also, I think this game might be a little bit CPU bound, but TressFX is using underlying DirectCompute API, and we all know GK104 Kepler is weak in that segment, which is why my 680 probably only gets me 40FPS exact with TressFX.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2013
  10. Crap Daddy

Crap Daddy

Thanks Received:
    For us poor bastards who are stuck with NVidia cards to play this game here's some info:

source: http://hardocp.com/news/2013/03/05/nvidia_gpu_performance_issues_in_new_tomb_raider

11. Roph

Roph

Thanks Received:
    Just completed it, played through on mid/high at 1920x1080 on an E5200 / Radeon 7770.

Brilliant game :)

12. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    It's certainly been a good year for the Gaming Evolved games, but I was kinda surprised when I saw Crysis 3, supposedly one of them, running better on Nvidia. That said, I don't play mp anymore and Crysis 3's sp is one of the least engaging for me of those I've played for the last several months.

13. Crap Daddy

Crap Daddy

Thanks Received:
    I am not too interested in Tomb Raider but it's not nice what Gaming Evolved has evolved into. I'm expecting more of this "competition tactics" in further games involving Gaming evolved. Crysis 3 was supported by both I think.

14. the54thvoid

the54thvoid

Thanks Received:
    Just want to jump in for a rant. Really enjoying TR - it's a bit different - auto crouching and the like - it makes sense tbh.

But what i cannot fucking forgive is the pitiful quick time events. How many times do i have to google things in between deaths? It's an abysmal way to handle things.

Whoever decided to put in these things should be flayed with razor wire. Now i'll jump back in and see how many more times i have to watch a pretty girl get strangled to death.

On the gfx side, pushing my cards as hot as they've ever been! Interesting to see what my Titan will do at these settings... Thursday shall tell. :)

15. Xzibit

Thanks Received:
    So far its down to how Nvidia handles Tessellation and DirectCompute in game so far from the issues.

Nvidia issues seam to be fixed once they run the game in DirectX 9.

16. Crap Daddy

Crap Daddy

Thanks Received:
    These are the real issues.

17. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    It's ironic that I was reluctant to play TR for some time and started out with one of it's worst installments, Angel of Darkness, only to become thoroughly enthralled by it once Legend and Anniversary hit the shelves. Crysis was the other way around, loved the first, but IMO it's been declining since.

By "supposedly" I meant you only see the Gaming Evolved logo in the Crysis 3 intro, none from Nvidia. Usually that means one gets much more consultation time than the other, but you wouldn't know it by the lower AMD performance and multiple beta drivers released.

Funny though that it used to always be AMD customers accusing Nvidia of monopolizing titles. I think it probably all evens out at some point.

BTW, any of you having QTE glitches at all on the PC version of TR? I heard one person say that, but it appears it may be on his end.

18. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Sure. But NVidia used to place programmers @ devs to avoid issues like this, and clearly didn't for this title. This isn't part of Gaming Evolved...it's just how new games are, period. Driver updates, patches on launch day, this isn't AMD's fault. It's the industry in general.

It's like Aliens...as much as it was bashed, I played through that, never saw those AI bugs reported in reviews, and actually enjoyed being able to play a game at launch without any issues.

Titles like that are rare, today. It might not have been the shiny new lambo everyone wanted, but at least it finished the race without a single failure...and with plenty of gas.

okidna and Crap Daddy say thanks.
  19. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    LOL, that's become the new standard of reference for game quality with some devs I guess. Finish the race without running out of gas, doesn't matter if you come in last.

20. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    That how all things with hardcore cult following begin. Ignoring that possibility is a mistake, IMHO, and for Aliens, I think it was very fitting.

Tomb Raider.. I've not played much of yet. I already feel like I don't have enough control of Lara, but hopefully that will improve.

What I will say, is that Lara kept my attention for only 15 minutes at first, but Aliens kept me going for over an hour. Take THAT how you will.:roll:

21. Xzibit

Thanks Received:
    It could mean...

So when they had the code to make the driver optimization they were still lacking performance issues. The newer build of the game just made it worse for them.

Hey, devs dont use DirectCompute

They'll sort it out dont worry. Nvidia should be happy. This gives them 1 more reason to push Titan ;) $$$

22. freaksavior

freaksavior To infinity ... and beyond!

Thanks Received:
    I found that the latest ati beta drives crash the game, I had to go back to 13.1.
    I also don't like the controls, there are two many and confusing. Stop giving me symbol and just give me the damn letter I need to press. So far it's alright, im not really impressed with it so far.

23. Xzibit

Thanks Received:
    Here is a little interesting benchmark I found at Tbreak
    [​IMG]

24. Bjorn_Of_Iceland

Bjorn_Of_Iceland

Thanks Received:
    TressFX hair graph looks like 7970 flippin' the middle finger at me.

25. Fluffmeister

Fluffmeister

Thanks Received:
    Yeah AMD TressFX works better on AMD cards, who would have thought?