1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Tom's Hardware Previews AMD's Phenom Line

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Lopez0101, Nov 19, 2007.

1. Lopez0101

Thanks Received:
    Just saw this a few minutes ago and I've been reading through it. They're only using engineering samples but it's a pretty interesting read and offers some insight into what AMD's processors are going to look like when they come out and how they perform. Give it a read.

Phemon Line Preview

a111087, nflesher87, peach1971 and 2 others say thanks.
  2. von kain New Member

Thanks Received:
    i have to say phenom looks like a performance disappointment to me ...

3. [I.R.A]_FBi

[I.R.A]_FBi New Member

Thanks Received:
    phenom = phenomenal dissapointment

4. newconroer

newconroer

Thanks Received:
    | With this platform, code named Spider, AMD aims to offer the basis for a computer that is affordable for everyone.|

And that's why it won't come out on top :)

5. [I.R.A]_FBi

[I.R.A]_FBi New Member

Thanks Received:
    the top model cant compete with a q6600?

6. von kain New Member

Thanks Received:
    i am a real amd fanboy i really am i will buy the spider platform even if it is slower (and overclock it ). it isn't the cheapest it is the mid-range though but i have to say i was expect at least 10% faster than the 6600 not slower

7. DOM

DOM

Thanks Received:
    lol did you look at the whole review its still slower Then Phenom 9700 running at 2.4 GHz, which will arrive come January, can narrow the gap to 9.8% in our benchmark suite

where intel is going to release there 45nm cpus which are lil better stock but oc better

im going to say amd is going to have to get on the ball cuz they already lost alot of money and need to start making it back :ohwell:

8. regan1985 New Member

Thanks Received:
    again it depends on overlock if they overclock well that people will go amd quad but, i like AMD and i thought they would bring something we havent seen and from what im seeing they spend lots of time on somthing Intel have had for a while now, and they price of a q6600 atm they need to be a lot better,from looking at realesed prices!!

the performance looks like what you would think if you had a x4 version of the am2 x2 chips but they have realsed a new chip and design and it doesnt seem to cut it!!

9. WhiteLotus

WhiteLotus

Thanks Received:
    i really do hope AMD have an ace up thier sleeve. but i do believe once applications become 4 core threaded these things will start to fly

10. Darknova

Darknova

Thanks Received:
    So when they finally get rid of all the bugs, and fix any flaws it will probably perform on par with current Intel processors. So it will be all down to price won't it?

11. BullGod

BullGod New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well Alienware are selling the new QuadCoreQX9650 from Intel overclocked at 4ghz. I think that says alot about the new Intel line of processors. I don't think that anyother time in history a company was willing to give you a warranty for an +1ghz overclock. I don't think AMD can compete with that and frankly I'm really affraid that in a few years they will be bankrupt...

12. panchoman

panchoman Sold my stars!

Thanks Received:
    reading the beginning of the article, the first few pages, im like..... yeah, phenom owns, and its gonna kick some penryn ass

nearing the end, im like...... somebody kill me...

13. WhiteLotus

WhiteLotus

Thanks Received:
    you never know it may still do that, penryn may suck...:rolleyes:

14. [I.R.A]_FBi

[I.R.A]_FBi New Member

Thanks Received:

too late for that. why?

teh phenom cant even beat 1-2 year old tech

15. panchoman

panchoman Sold my stars!

Thanks Received:
    ditto.

"Its just a little too late, a little too wrong..."

:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

16. WhiteLotus

WhiteLotus

Thanks Received:
    yea i know it is a shame, but if AMD can price it right then a lot of people are still going to go with them - hell i might just to see if they can recover in the next couple of years.

although my new Intel spec looks mighty tasty at the moment at £565. will have to wait for the UK for the Phenom and then spec up and compare!

17. panchoman

panchoman Sold my stars!

Thanks Received:
    hopefully we can buy phenom x2's and reactivate 2 cores and get an x4....

18. grazzhoppa New Member

Thanks Received:
    The practical benchmarks that matter to me (Games, AntiVirus Scan, WinRAR), the Phenoms are pretty much equivalent to the same-clocked Core 2 Duos.

When it comes to multi-threaded applications (Supreme Command PC game, WinRAR), the 2.4GHz Phenom (4 cores) is inline with the 2.66GHz E6750 (2 cores). I imagine this is because of the two extra cores.

The Phenoms will have less power consumption during idle (most of the time my computer is in use). But it has a higher TDP than Core 2 Duos, which suggests they draw more power when all 4 cores are loaded 100%.

The Phenom, for my purposes, will only be a disappointment if they are priced above or at the same price as equivalently clocked Core 2 Duo's. In other words: they better be cheaper than Intel's equivalent offerings or else I'm not interested.

In the case of the 2.4GHz Phenom, it will be a disappointment to me if it's priced above US$180-190 retail, which is what the 2.66GHz Core 2 Duo is going for now, since 2.4GHz Phenom = 2.66GHz Core 2 Duo for the applications I am interested in.

19. WhiteLotus

WhiteLotus

Thanks Received:
    if you can do that then AMD are truely stupid. anyway whats the point in developing a native 4 core processor and then removing two cores. its just a fancy way of designing a new dual core.

20. [I.R.A]_FBi

[I.R.A]_FBi New Member

Thanks Received:
    this is false

[​IMG]

21. panchoman

panchoman Sold my stars!

Thanks Received:
    well phenom x3's are x4's with a core disabled

22. WhiteLotus

WhiteLotus

Thanks Received:
    yea i know i dont understand why AMD would release a tri core. if its aimed at lower users then cant they just downclock and down price a quad core. and then maybe a hardware hack to disable OC it back up to whats its meant to be. surely a low clock quad will be better than a normal tricore

23. suraswami

suraswami

Thanks Received:
    That depends on the process. If they are anticipating a core failure in tests out of integrated Quad then the reason for a Tri-core is valid. Probably they will use the same architecture and release a dual-core Sempron with lesser cache when it goes to 2 core failures.:D That will be quite a nice blow to the Celys:D

Atleast AMD will not run out of Petty Cash and pay those dick head CIOs and CTOs

24. keakar

keakar

Thanks Received:
    well i was expecting them cheaper but not SLOWER, i wasnt even expecting them to be much faster if at all, but i WAS expecting a product that speed tests would show match up equally fast head to head for a better price.

its hard not to be negative on anything AMD or ATI when the best they seem to come up with lately is the wendy's value menu, not quite what you want and not really food but its cheap!

25. Gallatin Guest

ATI is on downfall at the end of production of x1950... then is chaos. and since was bought from AMD dosen't seems to have any marks of recovery....
    as for AMD from bad to whorst....

that what you get when you dont point to top (or in that case poiont in the budget pc):laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: