1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

too hot? seems so

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by farlex85, Mar 29, 2007.

1. farlex85

farlex85 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I am very inexperienced technically but have recently put together a new machine with the help of my friend so I am starting to learn. I have read several things about the hardware I have and I am starting to worry. I have a Intel Pentium D 915 Prescott at 2.8 GHz that at idle seems to run at about 60 c. It gets up to 70 on a regular basis and from everything I've read thats way too hot. I do have arctic silver 5 thermal paste on it with a good gaming case. When I first used the cpu it was at about 40 degrees and now a week later its jumped considerably. I also have RC1 version of vista currently and it seems to be going very sluggish at the moment. I could play oblivion at first with decent graphical ratings but it has for some reason become almost unplayable at about10-20 fps. HELP! anybody any suggestions for anything, primarily cpu temp.

2. quasar923 Guest

what grahics do u have and what ram and how much ram and do u have a fan on ur cpu or just a heat sink?

3. mullered07

mullered07 New Member

Thanks Received:
    are you using the stock intel heatsink/fan? reason im asking is because i have built around 20 p4 d 2.8 pc's in the last few months and them damn hsf's have a tendency to not sit right, usually it will be just one pin doesnt click right into place but that can affect the temps greatly, i suggest you triple check your stock hsf and make sure ALL the pins are in properly and none are bent.

failing that get some good airflow going in your case with a couple of 120mm fans and do some cable managment. and get a good aftermarket hsf such as a zalman or arctic freezer

4. farlex85

farlex85 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have an ATI Radeon X700, 1 GB of DDR2 800 Patriot RAM, a MSI nVidea nforce 650i motherboard, and a 250 GB hard drive. I did double check the heatsink fan (which is all I have in it) and it seems to be on correctly. I also have two fans on the case, one which is fairly close to the processor. I've though about maybe buying an after-market fan, but I'm thinking it should still be cooler than it is. And I know my video card and RAM are not optimal, but they still should be working fairly decently with vista and oblivion I thought. Also, how hot will end up killing my cpu. Thanks.

5. freaksavior

freaksavior To infinity ... and beyond!

Thanks Received:
    i had a 945 and the stock fan put me @ around 45c so that temp is a little toasty

do you have plenty of air flow through the case? do you have the auto fan controller on in the bios?? if so.....turn it off.....my temp would be in the low 60c with it on....

p.s

put your system specs in the User cp please....helps everyone out a lot

6. kwchang007

kwchang007 New Member

Thanks Received:
    as far as going to hot to kill the cpu....i think intel chips will basically downclock....and otherstuff if the temps approach the killing point. you could try undervoltin, and are you sure you put as5 on right? i personally don't know how either, lol im just un expierenced (parents won't let me build a comp)

7. anticlutch

anticlutch

Thanks Received:
    The best way to apply AS5 is to clean both the hs and the cpu, then to put a rice grain sized drop in the center of the CPU. Then gently lower down the heatsink on top of the CPU. After you have done that, twist it clockwise a little bit, then counter-clockwise a little bit, after which you should lock down the hsf. Remember... too much AS5 will "slow-roast" (as in the words of another thread on TPU) your CPU :)

If you do it that way and the temps are still high even after the AS5 has cured, I would suggest that you go out and buy an aftermarket heatsink (a Scythe Infinity, a Zalman 9500 or 970, or a hs from Arctic cooler for example). I'm pretty sure that running your processor that hot will reduce its lifespan so I'd advise you to either reseat the Intel hs or buy a new hs as soon as possible :D

8. mullered07

mullered07 New Member

Thanks Received:
    also you could try cleaning the hsf/cpu off with some rubbing alcohol, then take a plastic bag and apply some as5 onto it and rub into your hsf this get it into all the minute grooves. just rub it off with a cloth as to not take it all off and apply a small drop onto the centre of your cpu and affix your hsf. :toast:

9. kwchang007

kwchang007 New Member

Thanks Received:
    sweet, now if i ever can build a comp i know how to do it. Oh, and how hot is too hot? i'd like to know, espically since this laptop has to get me through..3 years and about two monthes before my parents will buy a new one. and yes, i know that i will be uber outdated in 3 years, unfortuantly, but i've gotten use to slow computers (we had a computer that ran 6 years before we replaced it)

10. anticlutch

anticlutch

Thanks Received:
    Personally I wouldn't run any CPU hotter than 60C (especially the new C2D's)... I remember my Prescott idling at 57C with a Zalman cooler :shadedshu

I'm pretty sure that all CPUs have some sort of throttling mechanism to reduce heat output before a CPU burns out. I'm going to take a stab in the dark and say the max temp a CPU will go to is 85-90C, but don't quote me on that since I know for sure that if your temperatures go up that high, your processor will have its life cut short.

11. kwchang007

kwchang007 New Member

Thanks Received:
    ok...hotter than 60...good, it gets up to 50 before the fan control program makes it kick in. why are c2d's different?

12. anticlutch

anticlutch

Thanks Received:
  13. kwchang007

kwchang007 New Member

Thanks Received:
    oh wow, now i am glad i have a program controlling the fan. the bios didn't turn on until 60C. Huh, according to that thread i dropped my cpu temps by ~17C at max multiplier. interesting.

14. farlex85

farlex85 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the suggestions. When I applied the thermal paste I spread it all over the processor as advised by my friend, perhaps this could be the main problem. I am going to take off my side tomorrow and check it out. On another note, could this be the sole reason for my computers sluggish performance. Like I said it seemed to be working well in the beginning. I have speculated that perhaps because I have a beta version of vista, (the most recent one before vista's release) and the drivers I have installed as such may not be working properly because the recent ones are intended for the retail version. Does this seem plausible? Also, why do I have only 200 MHz of FSB when the processor is marketed as having 800?

15. kwchang007

kwchang007 New Member

Thanks Received:
    it's not very plausible imo. as far as the fsb, you have a fsb of 200mhz, but it's quad pumped (it send data 4 times a clock, clock=fsb) so you have a rated fsb of 800 mhz.

16. theonetruewill New Member

Thanks Received:
    London - Close your eyes and you'll see me
    Its also called clever intel marketing:shadedshu fools a lot of new people or who just would never know or understand, not good

17. kwchang007

kwchang007 New Member

Thanks Received:
    hahaha, but right now, intel rocks :rockout: imagine if they had a true 800mhz fsb...quad pumped would be 3200mhz :twitch: that'd be faster than the high end c2d, oh well, one can always hope.