1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Too much sitting linked to shortened lives

Discussion in 'Science & Technology' started by micropage7, Apr 6, 2012.

1. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    Australians who spent a lot of time sitting at a desk or in front of a TV were more likely to die of any cause during a three-year period than those who were only sedentary a few hours a day, in a new study.

Researchers found that the link between too much time sitting and shortened lives stuck when they accounted for how much moderate or vigorous exercise people got as well as their weight and other measures of health.

That suggests shifting some time from sitting to light physical activity -- such as slow walking and active chores -- might have important long-term benefits, researchers said.

"When we give people messages about how much physical activity they should be doing, we also need to talk to them about reducing the amount of hours they spend sitting each day," Hidde van der Ploeg, the new study's lead author from the University of Sydney, told Reuters Health in an email.

Of more than 200,000 adults age 45 and older, van der Ploeg and his colleagues found that people who reported sitting for at least 11 hours a day were 40 percent more likely to die during the study than those who sat less than four hours daily.

That doesn't prove sitting, itself, cuts people's lives short, he pointed out.

Although the researchers also asked participants about a variety of lifestyle habits, there could be other unmeasured differences between people who spend a lot or a little time sitting each day.

Still, the findings are consistent with other recent studies suggesting health consequences from too much sitting, said Mark Tremblay, an obesity and activity researcher at Children's Hospital of Eastern Ontario in Ottawa.

"Sitting or reclining, especially in front of screens, is bad for you regardless of your age," said Tremblay, who wasn't involved in the new research.

People tend to think they're okay as long as they get their "dose" of working out each day, he told Reuters Health.

But, "Getting your 30 minutes of physical activity five times a week is not insurance against chronic disease," Tremblay added.

Instead, time spent doing moderate or vigorous exercise and time being totally sedentary may each affect long-term disease risks separately, he said.

http://news.yahoo.com/too-much-sitting-linked-shortened-lives-160234206.html
    more
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/07/110712093859.htm

2. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    i was reading a study that said diet and level of activity are numbers 2 & 3 behind smoking as preventable cancer causers. i try to stay active but it never feels like enough...

3. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    sitting for 11 hours a day? truck drivers should be worried, but you'd have to be extremely lazy to not move for so much time (or have an office job... but hell, i drive a car for a living and i walk constantly)

micropage7 says thanks.
  4. LAN_deRf_HA

LAN_deRf_HA

Thanks Received:
    Yes yes we know. These studies were all the rage last year.

5. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    Studies like this one shorting my life expectancy

The_Ish says thanks.
  6. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    What if the participants and people didn't care to live any longer if they couldn't sit and enjoy their life. Did they study that?

10 Million points folded for TPU
  7. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Nice way to say the study didn't really show any real cause and effect. :shadedshu

8. Black Panther

Black Panther Senior Moderatorâ„¢ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Doesn't apply to Stephen Hawking. Bless him.

9. trickson

trickson OH, I have such a headache

Thanks Received:
    WOW guess I am going to die soon! Can't wait!

10. douglatins

douglatins

Thanks Received:
    Well that's it im definitely dead

11. NinkobEi

NinkobEi

Thanks Received:
    Sounds good to me. Bring it on, death.

12. trickson

trickson OH, I have such a headache

Thanks Received:
    Yeah let's do this! :rockout:

13. The_Ish

The_Ish New Member

Thanks Received:
    That does sort of contradict the headline. And is it just me, but how is this even worth researching? You don't need to look further than evolution to know the human body is designed to be active.

14. Inceptor

Inceptor

Thanks Received:
    Well, in extreme cases, too much sitting in a chair can lead to a fairly-sudden-death:
    Deep vein thrombosis --> Pulmonary Embolism --> Bye bye.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deep_vein_thrombosis
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pulmonary_embolism

I recall hearing one of those 'weird news factoid' stories a while ago where a hardcore gamer died in this way, or something similar.

The moral of the story is to do what your mother told/tells you and "go outside and get some fresh air" occasionally :laugh:

15. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]

its for your own protection. DO IT.

digibucc says thanks.
  16. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received: