1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Tools from measuring frames per a fraction of a second

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by unixguru88, May 8, 2011.

1. unixguru88 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Is there any tool which can measure frames per 1/30th or 1/60th, etc. of a second instead of frames per one second? I am playing Far Cry 2 with Vsync on, and even though FPS seems to be more or less constant 60, I feel there is some micro-stuttering when I sprint. I want check if it just my imagination, or if there is really micro-stuttering. I used FRAPS and the Mcirostutter tool and got a microstutter index of 3.88% which is apparently good. Note that I am running a 6950 with shaders unlocked and not a crossfire configuration.

Last edited: May 8, 2011
  2. Widjaja

Widjaja

Thanks Received:
    ATi Tray Tools has a frames monitor.
    I think Riva Tuner also has a fps monitor app as well.

3. LifeOnMars

LifeOnMars New Member

Thanks Received:
    Are you playing Far Cry 2 in DX 10? If so there are some known issues with frameskip/microstutter with some configurations.

If you use the ingame console and set a maxfps that you know your rig can constantly handle and not dip below then it will not stutter anymore.

A list of the console commands can be found here - Far Cry 2 Console Commands

In that list you can see the maxfps command you will have to type.

To access the console in game you have to press the tilde button on your keyboard.

4. W1zzard

W1zzard Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    log frametimes to a file and process them using excel or whatever works for you

5. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    Nah, you're not imagining it. I've seen both ATI & nvidia do this on certain games. Usually panning round tends to show it up. It looks like a wobbly/stuttery effect, doesn't it?

If Fraps is showing frame drops, when you see this, then it's simply the performance of the system, which can't maintain a smooth frame rate. Try lowering the detail or resolution or turning off your security software to keep that counter at a solid 60fps. You need to make that FPS counter stay a solid 60 when you see the effect, before you can say there's a problem.

Also, try seeing if it happens in other games.

I've not noticed the effect in the last year or so. I think these were driver bugs that have been ironed out.

6. W1zzard

W1zzard Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    the only thing that can be measured is frame time, fps cant be measured, only calculated

there are several ways to do that, all giving different numbers at any point in time

7. unixguru88 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I guess this is what is done by the microsttuter tool. I logged framertimes using FRAPS, and
    passed it on to the microstutter tool. Ideally what I want is an OSD so that I can monitor precisely when I feel there is a micro-stutter. I noticed that I get the feeling of a microstutter after sprinting when the screen sort of becomes blurry, maybe the effect is intentional? I have not noticed microsttuter in anyother game except in Crysis which unfortunately does'nt seem to enable triple buffering in DX10 mode.