1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Torchlight Is Here!

Discussion in 'Games' started by BazookaJoe, Oct 28, 2009.

1. BazookaJoe

BazookaJoe

Thanks Received:
    Well It's here!

The Diablo clone made by some of the SAME ppl (and in fact co-designers) who made Diablo.

I've played it a little and although it's a bit "different" it's actually quite fun and I am finding myself more than a little hooked.

It works & plays in a very similar manner to DIABLO, however a lot has been polished, and this new challenger does not take itself quite as seriously, giving preference to old fashioned out dated gaming concepts such as FUN, and GAME PLAY, rather than all of the mindless nonsense & corporate sales bling like overinflated cut scenes, 10x Motion Blur, and hideous bloom that does little other than render the image un-viewable & exclude lower mid-range players with older hardware, as is SO typical on most modern titles.

In fact this engine looks like it will cruise on just about any hardware, and even supports a "Netbook Mode" for the ultra light budget gamer.

And this is so much more than a clone. A LOT of effort has been put into addressing many of the "fun restrictions" in previous Diablo games (Of which I was a BIG fan), for example your "mercenaries" now have an inventory that you can share whilst in the field, potions & scrolls naturally stack in your inventory, you can send a mercenary off to town to sell your loot whilst you fight on, and so much more.

All the rest of the fun is there, 3 character classes, skill trees similar to Diablo II, Spells similar to Diablo I, Item sockets, the ability to chose to recover gems from a socketed Item, or recover the item and lose the gems, and a whole range of other improvements, augmentations, and other wondrous things.

But that's enough from me, lets get some comments from the floor?

Official Site :

http://www.torchlightgame.com/

Another Site with a video clip :

http://www.destructoid.com/torchlight-available-now-here-s-a-launch-trailer-153359.phtml

10 Reasons you must play Torchlight:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/174548/10_reasons_you_must_play_torchlight.html/

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2009
    1Kurgan1 says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  2. CDdude55

CDdude55 Crazy 4 TPU!!!

Thanks Received:
    Never heard of it.

I'll just wait for Diablo III.
  3. BazookaJoe

BazookaJoe

Thanks Received:
    Educate yourself - there's a free demo out soon, expect to see it on TPU as soon as it arrives.

If you liked Diablo you may like this, as previously stated it's designed by "THE" ppl who made Diablo 1 & 2.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  4. JanJan

Thanks Received:
    and Fate

thanks for the info. I will try this out
  5. pantherx12

pantherx12 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Nice, will download the demo.
  6. CDdude55

CDdude55 Crazy 4 TPU!!!

Thanks Received:
    If there's a free demo coming, then sure i'll give it a try. But im not gonna expect much, even if two of Blizzards designers created it.
  7. BazookaJoe

BazookaJoe

Thanks Received:
    Oh yeah - Don't get me wrong - this game is NOT intended to be a major player - The creators are making an MMO out of the concept and are releasing this single player version for a bit of fun, and development support - it's NOT supposed to replace the major titles of today, but its another fun and different world for Players of previous Diablo games to have some fresh new fun in.

It actually has a bit of "Monkey Island" feel to it, in that it's a little more cartoony. Overall it's a great new title for Diablo fans looking for something familiar with some new scenes & adventures.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  8. Nailezs

Thanks Received:
    is there a full SP campaign or is it mainly meant for MP?
  9. douglatins

douglatins

Thanks Received:
    nice
  10. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    According to the FAQ the main storyline is 10 - 20 hours with multiple boss encounters. After that you can explore endlessly for loot and levels. In town there is an "endless" dungeon to keep you busy after the main storyline.

Looks like fun, I may have to get this one.
  11. BazookaJoe

BazookaJoe

Thanks Received:
    This game is primarily for Single Player - for Multi-Player the Development team are working on an MMO based on the game.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  12. Kreij

Thanks Received:
    Also, in the near future the toolset will be released for free to the modding community.
    Yeah .. I'm $20 poorer now. :laugh:
  13. BazookaJoe

BazookaJoe

Thanks Received:
    Good on 'ya mate :)

Yeah, Thx for raising that point too. ( The OPEN & Free support for future Modding )
    Crunching for Team TPU
  14. Nailezs

Thanks Received:
    looks aweosme. as soon as i get my computer back up i will have to get this
  15. Kreij

Thanks Received:
    Downloaded and installed.
    This game is fun and addictive, if you like games like Diablo.
    Nice interface, works fine with Keyboard and Mouse.
    For RPG fans, it's RPG-Lite. A perfect diversion from in-depth games for when you've had a hard day but still want a little RPG action.

Just a fun game. No surprises, just a easy-on-the-eyes hack 'n slash with enough under the cover to keep it interesting.

Old Uncle Kreij's Rating : Worthy of your $20
    1Kurgan1 says thanks.
  16. i789 New Member

Thanks Received:
    very impressed by this game, I dont like any RPG before but played like couple hours on this one and I actually got hooked. A thumbs up to this indie game and its developer.
  17. i789 New Member

Thanks Received:
    By the way, Runic the game developer made sure that this game is for "PC only" (well and Mac / Linux), it is impressive to think in this day and age how many game developer have turn their back on this platform and choose console instead.
  18. 1Kurgan1

1Kurgan1 The Knife in your Back

Thanks Received:
    Looks good, I'll prob wait for the demo, if it was MP I would pick it up for sure right now. What I found interesting is they are saying the MMO will be free to play.
  19. THRiLL KiLL

THRiLL KiLL

Thanks Received:
    its like d2 with better graphics and a quest system like wow.

im loving it!
  20. BazookaJoe

BazookaJoe

Thanks Received:
    I'm loving it too, but I have to make one update on a disappointing note.

Although the game CLAIMS to have a "zoom" there is in fact no such thing, there is instead the somewhat poorly thought out "Camera Pan-Tilt" that one see's in games like Warcraft 3, and so far this has been quite a disappointment for me.

There is no functional Zoom ability what-so-ever in this game, and when playing in full screen on a LARGE gaming panel, it sort of feels like you are trying to look at the fish in the aquarium by shoving your face into the water.

It's just WAY WAY too close up for a Full screen game. (Just like Other titles , since this NONSENSE Fake-O-Zoom was introduced by the War3 era)

To get around this I simply play in windowed mode in a smaller window, but it would be REALLY nice if the Dev Team saw this message and decided to implement an ACTUAL "zoom" in a future patch.

Still, don't let this scare you off, it is a really fun game - I'll just have to play it in a window until someone works up patch for the zoom :)
    Crunching for Team TPU
  21. ShiBDiB

ShiBDiB

Thanks Received:
    im downloading it right now, if its good ill gladly throw $20 to a small dev
  22. DudeTheDane New Member

Thanks Received:
    The demo is up on steam.
    BazookaJoe and 1Kurgan1 say thanks.
  23. DanTheBanjoman SeƱor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    We've all seen how much that argument worked for Hellgate. Seeing how this is some follow up to fate (and it looks to be near the same in the screenshots) I don't expect too much. Fate was fun for a few hours and got boring. Still, I'll give it a shot if I have some time.
  24. JanJan

Thanks Received:
    Game is quite fun but i prefer open area rather than all those dark tunnels in game.

Alchemist level 14 now and have a handful of purple items. I found myself only using rifle now, it just look cool :) i passed all those 180ish damage staff and what not and using a 115 rifle :) just gotta wait for a good rifle show up
  25. BazookaJoe

BazookaJoe

Thanks Received:
    Heh - I also went for alchemist Lvl 21 :) - Also used rifles a few times - there's something unusually satisfying about how they shoot & hit in this game... Hard to explain just.. more satisfying than shooting a gun in many other games...
    Crunching for Team TPU