1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Torn between two GTX 460 models

Discussion in 'NVIDIA' started by Jeffredo, Jul 26, 2010.

1. Jeffredo

Jeffredo

Thanks Received:
    Hey guys. I jumped on an MSI Cyclone 1GB last week and while its very quiet and cool at idle (I can't even hear it) once I start gaming the fan ramps up to 60-70% and has a pronounced whine. I'm sending it back and was going to try a reference cooler model. From what I understand its the most quiet and cool one available for the GTX 460. My dilemma is only Sparkle has a 1GB model with the reference cooler:

SPARKLE SXX4601024D5SNM GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) 1G...

EVGA has a Superclock version of the ref with 768MB:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003V8ATWW/?tag=tec06d-20

I can get the EVGA model from an out-of-state etailer (I'm in California), but with the Sparkle from Newegg I'm going to get hit with sales tax - about $19.

Total for the Sparkle 1GB - $248.96 (with CA sales tax)
    Total for the EVGA SC 768 - $219.99

Do you think I'd see an appreciable difference with my PC between the two? Basically, I game at 1680x1050 and will continue to do so for at least a couple more years. Oh, and both have lifetime warranties with registration - just have never bought from Sparkle.

2. Jamborhgini313

Jamborhgini313 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Just get the 768MB version if you game at that resolution.

Jeffredo says thanks.
  3. Tatty_One

Tatty_One Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Depends which game your playing TBH, 768MB at your res will be good for many games, a few will demand more however especially at higher AA/detail levels.

Jeffredo says thanks.
  4. Jeffredo

Jeffredo

Thanks Received:
    Play mostly RPGs like Fallout 3, Oblivion, Sacred 2, Divine Divinity 2 and MMOs like WoW and LotRO. The MSI 1GB could easily max every in game setting on Fallout 3 and stay around 55 FPS on average. If it didn't wail like a banshee in this hot July weather I'd keep it.

5. 3volvedcombat

3volvedcombat New Member

Thanks Received:
    Keep the card- Manually control fan speeds!

I mean

Its summer

I know were im at- South California's HOTTEST climate at 115+ up to 125 easy it gets pretty hot over here.

but i have air conditioning so and im not gonna let HEAT affect my choice in card, its called manually adjusting fan speed :)

Makes me think, I must be really unlucky, to be in the middle of a under sea level, flat spot plain surrounded 360 degree's by 6,000+ foot tall mountains only 35-80 miles away. So the climate around here makes it were there are no grass or vegetation on the mountains, just rock.

Amplify that the mountains really block airflow and winds and im at or under sea level like a NATURAL CRATER, and it jumps to 120+ on the hottest days easily, and were like the opposite of Seattle

some years it doesn't rain, it just doesn't rain.

If your in the right spot, Surrounded by con-create and blacktop at a parking lot it will be 135ish and burn your face.

But us long time residents like me are used it :)

**EDIT** It gets so hot in cars that some cars inside there dashes malform, and actually melt and distort changing shape because it gets up to 180-200 in the cars, and some vehicular manufactures really don't design vehicle's to withstand climate like that, so we have allot of car business around here because vehicals don't last that long over here, so theres a +1!

Last edited: Jul 26, 2010
    Jeffredo says thanks.
  6. thebluebumblebee

thebluebumblebee

Thanks Received:
    I think your case is the problem. With only the flow of a 120MM fan, I'm thinking your case gets too hot. A direct exhausting GPU would help, but you have a very low air flow case for the performance pieces that you have.

Jeffredo says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  7. Jeffredo

Jeffredo

Thanks Received:
    The Lian-Li ATX mini tower is one of those upside-down mobo affairs. The video card is on the top and the intake 120mm is in back, the exhaust 120mm in front. I did buy an aftermarket "blow hole" lid for it and there is a 140mm exhaust directly above the video card. Idle temps are quite low - 29-34C. It never passed 60C while gaming. The MSI Cyclone fan isn't really turning that fast, but it is a bit noisy (to me) above 60%. W1zzard noted this in his review of them.

8. ebolamonkey3

ebolamonkey3 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Can you turn the fan down to 50% or 55% and see what the temps are? B/c honestly I think the MSI 1gb one is better than both of those that you listed.

Jeffredo says thanks.
  9. Jeffredo

Jeffredo

Thanks Received:
    Just ordered the EVGA GTX 460 768MB "Superclocked" from Tigerdirect. There's a pretty hefty Bing Cashback of 10-13% (not sure of the percentage just yet - its not posted) so it'll be a pretty good deal in the end. I think the 768MB EVGA with a 763 Mhz OC will probably be as fast @ 1680x1050 as the 1GB Sparkle model @ 700 Mhz. Not a big overclocker so I'll most likely would have left whatever I buy at factory speeds. Just hope the reference fan is less obtrusive while gaming than the Cyclone so this isn't all for naught. Thanks for the input!

10. Muhad

Muhad

Thanks Received:
    Evga has fantastic support and hardware.

11. Jeffredo

Jeffredo

Thanks Received:
    Holy cow, I'm getting $33 Bing Cash Back on a $219.99 purchase. Free shipping, no sale tax - can't beat that.