1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Toshiba satellite a 65

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by binsky3333, Dec 4, 2008.

1. binsky3333

binsky3333 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok well, I have any old 2004 toshiba satellite a65 s1062 and i am having some problems with it. Whenever i start up it up it starts beeping, then i restart and it boots into windows, after about 5 minutes windows freezes and i reboot again, then again and so on until it stops freezing at the desktop. Does anyone know any solutions to this. I heard some stuff about the a65's having faulty CPU's. Also temps get very very hot around 70 celcius idle, could that be a problem should i try new thermal paste or try cleaning out the fan?

Thanks!
  2. stinger608

stinger608 Dedicated TPU Cruncher & Folder

Thanks Received:
    I sure could be a heating problem!! I would very much clean the fan!! Toshiba's are notorious for fan issues, and usually they get plugged up bad, and pretty quick.

That would sure be a good start!

Good luck, and keep us posted:)
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  3. binsky3333

binsky3333 New Member

Thanks Received:
    :laugh:Also it will just freeze randomly and randomly restart when it is booting windows and during the BIOS post. Im guessing its a cpu heat problem. 70 degrees celius on idle THATS CRAZY!

I wont have time tonight to clean the fan and change the thermal paste, first i am going to clean the fan and if that doesnt help i am going to put on new thermal paste cause im pretty sure its probably dry.

Also does anyone know any 3rd party fan controls i could use for this lapto. Upping the fan speed will proabaly help.

Also i found this http://www.fonerbooks.com/lap_fan.htm
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2008
  4. binsky3333

binsky3333 New Member

Thanks Received:
    WOW!!!! I just cleaned out the fan there was sooo much dust and the temps have dropped from 70 idle to 40 idle and from 80 load to 54-55 load. Wow this is an amazing difference.
  5. stinger608

stinger608 Dedicated TPU Cruncher & Folder

Thanks Received:
    Yep, LOL!!! They need cleaned about once every 4 to 6 months depending on where you live and how dusty and windy the area is:twitch:

Did that take care of your non posting, and freezing in windows?
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  6. Tau

Tau New Member

Thanks Received:
    The A65 is in the same chasis as the A70. Im also pretty sure the A 65 uses desktop CPUs like the A70's did. The same 478 P4 that went in your desktop also went into those laptops thats were the heat is coming from. Those laptops call for the "pink" thermal paste from Toshiba, if you are replacing the paste i would use Ceramic over AS5, as it is slightly thicker.

Also the fan modules on the A65/70 are NOTORIOUSE for overheating that is pretty much the only issues those laptops ever had, as well as the AC jack breaking off the motherboard (if you catch it early you can resolder it and save yourself $400 for a new motherboard).

Hope this helps, if you need a help with the dissasembly feel free to PM me i have taken loads of those appart (im a toshiba tech).
  7. binsky3333

binsky3333 New Member

Thanks Received:
    wow, thanks so much guys i cleaned out the fan and now the laptop is running perfect no freezes at all and it boots up real quick!

Thanks for all the help!!:)