• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

TOXIC CHROME (modded Corsair 250D)

Hi guys,

Welcome to a new build log for TOXIC CHROME where I will be modding and building a custom water cooled system in the Corsair 250D!

Huge thanks to MNPCTECH as they will be providing me with some modding supplies for the build, Icemodz who will be supplying the custom sleeved cables and RGB LED strips as well as Primochill who will be supplying a set of fittings. Also thanks to GGF Lan Party for providing the Corsair 250D case for me!

As the name suggests there will be chrome :D. The case will be painted a combination of chrome and blue, chrome for the outside panels and blue for the case frame. I will also be painting other components such as the radiators chrome too. I'm not exactly sure yet how I'm going to get the chrome paint done and if I will be able to do it myself with spray paint as that would be the only option if I was to paint it myself. I would sure love to do chrome plating but that would probably be way out of my reach to get the entire outside of the case done. I will be doing some research for the best and most efficient way to get the nice mirror chrome look that I'm after. Of course I'm open to suggestions so if anyone has any ideas please let me know.

I think the combination of chrome and blue will be really nice and the idea for the build is to see how friendly the Corsair 250D is to a custom watercooling loop and to fit as much water cooling components as I can in it and to just make it look radioactive with a glow from the inside. The mods to the case won't be that hard to do, mainly cutting new side panel windows and I will also be playing with MNPCTECH's nibbler tool and some aluminum sheets! The hard part will be getting all the components and custom loop in the way I imagine it. The 250D is smaller than the Bitfenix Prodigy I worked on with my Vault Boy build so this will be interesting.

You will see the same attention to detail as I have shown in my previous builds with Vault Boy and Green Molecule.

Here are the SPECS:

Case - Modded Corsair 250D

Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z97N-Gaming 5

CPU - Intel Pentium Anniversary Edition G3258

GPU - EVGA GTX 670

Memory - 2 x 4GB G.Skill RipJaws 1600Mhz

SSD - 120GB Corsair Force GT

PSU - Corsair RM650 80Plus Gold

Cables - Icemodz custom sleeved cables

Radiators - Alphacool NexXxoS Full Copper ST30 240mm, Alphacool NexXxoS Full Copper UT60 140mm

Fans - 2 x 120mm Gelid Slim 12 UV Blue fans, 1 x 140mm Gelid Wing 14 UV Blue, 2 x 80mm Gelid Wing 8 UV Blue

Pump - Swiftech MCP35X with EK-DDC Heatsink Housing and EK-DDC XRES 140 CSQ pump top and reservoir combo

Reservoir - EK-RES X3 250 Reservoir

Fittings - Primochill Rigid Ghost Black fittings, various Bitspower matte black extension and angle fittings

Tubing - Primochill Rigid Clear PETG

CPU Block - EK-Supremacy CSQ Polished Nickel Plexi

GPU Block - EK-FC670 CSQ Polished Nickel Plexi

RAM Block - EK-RAM Monarch X2 CSQ Polished Nickel Plexi

Coolant - Mayhems X1 UV Clear Blue

Lighting - Icemodz Real UV LED Strips

But first :dremel:, lets get the case ready!

Here's a quick look at the case and the layout for some components. Ignore the gold paint job as that's what the guys over at GGF had it for a custom system.

Pump with the EK 140 res mounted next to the rad here

Another EK 250 res mounted horizontally here, will get rid of the drive cages and cut out a nice window for it.

So the 250 res will be right underneath the 240 radiator

Here are the PC & Case Mod Store Supply items from Mnpctech

Mnpctech PC Case Mod Ruler & Reference Tool, http://mnpctech.com/pc-mod-tools/pc-mod-ruler/pc-modder-ruler-and-gauge.html

PC Case Panel Modding Nibbler Tool from Mnpctech, http://mnpctech.com/case-mods-gamin...-cooling-fan-grills/pc-case-nibbler-tool.html

Nickel Plated Vandal PC Push Button Switch for Reset or Power, http://mnpctech.com/case-mods-gamin...eset/vandal-resistant-pc-power-switch-en.html

Mnpctech also offers anodized colored versions of this Vandal PC Push Button Switch

3 pack of 3M Red Scotchbrite Scuff Pads, http://mnpctech.com/case-mods-gamin...buff-scuff-scotch/3m-scotchbrite-pads-en.html

5 pack of reinforced Dremel cutting wheels, http://mnpctech.com/pc-mod-tools/cutting-wheels.html

That's it for now peeps. Hope you will enjoy this build log and mod :D.

Thanks for checking it out.

Cheers,

Alex

Last edited:
System Name zx spectrum
Processor i7-4960x
Motherboard Asus Rampage IV Extreme
Cooling Corsair H100i
Memory 32Gb Kingston Hyper Beast Quad-DDR3 2400Mhz
Video Card(s) Saphire Tri-x R9 290 4GB
Storage 240Gb Kingston Hyper X SSD
Display(s) Samsung UE55NU8000 55'' Freesync
Case Cooler Master Cosmos II Ultra Tower
Audio Device(s) On Board 7.1
Power Supply Corsair Ax1200i
Mouse Razer Death Adder 2013
Keyboard Razer Death Stalker Ultimate
Software Win 10
Amazing work Alex.
Ohh and welcome!!

Last edited:
System Name panda
Processor 6700k
Motherboard sabertooth s
Cooling raystorm block<black ice stealth 240 rad<ek dcc 18w 140 xres
Memory 32gb ripjaw v
Video Card(s) 290x gamer<ntzx g10<antec 920
Storage 950 pro 250gb boot 850 evo pr0n
Display(s) QX2710LED@110hz lg 27ud68p
Case 540 Air
Audio Device(s) nope
Power Supply 750w superflower
Mouse g502
Keyboard shine 3 with grey, black and red caps
Software win 10
Benchmark Scores http://hwbot.org/user/marsey99/
sorry is there a mod in this thread?

couldn't see it for all the seo spam....

Hey guys,

Here's an update on Toxic Chrome!

Dismantled as much of the case as I could and starting to drill the mounts for everything. Gonna get all the drilling and cutting done on the case before I get it painted. I might just get the whole thing powder coated, frame and other bits blue and then the outside panels chrome. I found a place that does chrome powder coating and it's gonna be cheaper than actually buying the paint and spraying it myself so that's good. Hopefully the chrome comes out good, we will have to see about that!

So here's the naked frame of the case pretty much.

And just having a look how the 250 res is gonna sit and already there is a problem with the res holders. The res fits between the side of the case and the radiator without the holders but not with them unfortunately.

So what I did is broke off one side of the res holders and gonna sit the res in like that, supporting it with the holders on one side and with the case panel on the other. Also once I get fittings between it and the 240 rad, it should stay in place quite nicely.

I think it looks pretty good in there. Just need to get all the side and top windows cut now and mount the other res along with the pump.

Thanks for checking it out!

Cheers,

Alex

t_ski

Former Staff
System Name My i7 Beast
Processor Intel Core i7 6800K
Motherboard Asus X99-A II
Cooling Nickel-plated EK Supremacy EVO, D5 with XSPC Bayres & BIX Quad Radiator
Memory 4 x 8GB EVGA SuperSC DDR4-3200
Video Card(s) EVGA 1080 SuperClocked
Storage Samsung 950 Pro 256GB m.2 SSD + 480GB Sandisk storage SSD
Display(s) Three Asus 24" VW246H LCD's
Case Silverstone TJ07
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair AX1200
Keyboard Corsair K95
Software Windows 10 x64 Pro
Are you going to take the hole in the res top and go outside the case for a fill/drain port?

Are you going to take the hole in the res top and go outside the case for a fill/drain port?

No, I'm just gonna put a cap on that end. This res is mainly for show. I will have another res on top of the pump which will be my fill and drain port. When I drain my builds I usually use a syringe with a long hose attached to it and just pull everything out from the res :)

Hey guys,

Worked on getting the side panel window cut outs done for all the windows I will attach to the case, a total of three.

I will be bolting the clear acrylic this time and I will have it on the outside of the case. That is so I can keep the inward part where the grill on the side panel is. I have seen other people do it before and I think it looks interesting.

Here we go with the dremel and jigsaw!

Thanks for checking it out and I hope you like my window designs.

Cheers,

Alex

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
Looking good so far.
I won't whinge about all the full size pics as I just got my internet quota back last week ... :D :toast:

HammerON

The Watchful Moderator
Staff member
System Name Threadripper
Processor 3960X
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix TRX40-XE
Cooling XSPC Raystorm Neo (sTR4) Water Block
Memory G. Skill Trident Z Neo 64 GB 3600
Video Card(s) PNY RTX 4090
Storage Samsung 960 Pro 512 GB + WD Black SN850 1TB
Display(s) Dell 32" Curved Gaming Monitor (S3220DGF)
Case Corsair 5000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) On-board
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G5
Mouse Roccat Kone Pure
Keyboard Corsair K70
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Always changing~
System Name The Phoenix (rev. 3.0)
Processor Intel Core i9 9900K @ 4.9GHz (1.18V)
Motherboard ASUS TUF Z390 PRO-GAMING
Cooling Custom Full Loop w/EKWB & Swiftech components
Memory 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200MHz (C15)
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1080 SeaHawk X EK @ 2.15GHz/5.5GHz
Storage Samsung 970 EVO+ (2x500GB) + Toshiba X300 (4TB)
Display(s) LG 29UM65-P (2560x1080 @ 75 Hz)
Case Thermaltake Core V51
Audio Device(s) Razer Kraken 7.1 & Scarlett 2i4 w/M-AUDIO BX5-D2
Power Supply Corsair RM750 (ver. 2019)
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Razer Blackwidow Chroma V2
Software MacOS 10.13.6 "High Sierra" & Windows 10 Pro x64
Omg, how many liquid components are fitting into that lil case? Amazing job so far!!! And truely, finest Dremel cutter I've seen in a long time =)

Keep up the good work!!! :toast:

Hey guys,

New update for TOXIC CHROME!

Just a quick look at the pump and other res combo that will be going in the build and how it will be placed.

Swiftech MCP35X

Changing to a multi option top so that I can run the loop back to the top of the res.

These EK reservoirs looks awesome, first time using these!

Great little combo!

I think it will be pretty awesome with the two reservoirs in this little case!

Cheers,

Alex

Hey guys,

Back with another update on Toxic Chrome.

I made all the modifications needed on the case and it has now left to get powder coated. The frame of the case and other bits will be powder coated a dark navy blue and the side and top panels will be powder coated chrome. Hopefully the chrome powder coat will come out good.

Here's a look at the case with the side panel windows cut, filed and all ready. Also mounted the pump/res combo and drilled the hole for the Vandal switch. That is just a test Vandal switch. I will be receiving a nickel plated one from MNPCTECH which is currently on the way.

I know here that the res doesn't sit in the middle but in order to make the loop work I think that this is how I will need to sit it. This may change however so we will see.

All the side panel windows. I went and drilled holes in each corners of the windows for mounting the acrylic however I forgot to take pics of this. You guys will see that once the case is back.

Pump/res combo mounted.

Vandal switch mounted on top of the front panel frame.

I will be making a new front panel out of 1mm aluminum which will cover this section here. I will stick that to the existing front panel in order to continue to be able to use the clip on and feature and access the dust filter behind it.

I also cut the HDD cage in half as I will need to mount this back in the case to support the MB tray. I cut some 1mm aluminum panels which will be bolted on to help clean up the HDD cage look as that will be seen through the res window.

All this will be powder coated blue.

And that's about it for now. Hopefully I will get the case powder coated and back sometime next week.

Thanks for checking it out.

Cheers,

Alex

Hey guys,

I got the case back from powder coating!

Here are some quick shots I took of the case. I think the navy blue looks awesome and matches the fan blade colour really well.

The side panels are not finished yet as they had mistakenly coated them the same navy blue, they are now getting redone in chrome.

I will be getting the front panel and rear feet colour matched to the same powder coated blue but will obviously get it painted.

Thanks for checking it out guys and let me know what you think of the blue, I really like it.

Cheers,

Alex

Hey guys,

Back with another update for the Toxic Chrome build. Sorry I've been absent for a while, been super busy with work lately.

Had some time over the weekend and worked on the motherboard.

Here's an overview and getting the red heatsinks ready for some black plasti dip!

Also plasti dipping this little guy!

I'll be back in a day or two once all this is done, dried and back on the board!

Also an update on the side panels paint/powder coat. I've seen the chrome powder coat and it doesn't look like chrome at all. Looks like some sort of dark grey colour and not really glossy, so was not a fan of that. I did get them to do the EK ram modules which I will show you guys once done, just to see how the chrome powder coat looks. Through I probably won't end up using those either.

So what I will be doing with the side panels is taking them to a car paint shop. Chrome paint is out of my price range at this time, costing around $250 just for the paint as they told me. Though what they can do is make it a nice glossy silver and try and get it as close as possible to the chrome effect. However that still won't end up being chrome so I guess we will see.

Stay tuned for more guys! I'll try and keep the updates coming more regularly!

Cheers,

Alex

Hey guys,

Motherboard is all done, here it is!

Gigabyte GA-Z97N-Gaming 5 Black Edition

I'm also happy to announce new sponsors to the Toxic Chrome build. The cables and LED strips will now be provided by Icemodz and also Primochill who are very kind to send me a set of fittings and some PETG tubing! :thumb:

Thanks for checking it out,

Cheers,

Alex

Hey guys,

Here are some photos of the G.Skill memory I will be using and also the EK memory modules.

These have been powder coated chrome and as you can see it looks more like a matte silver, so that's why I didn't like the chrome powder coat for the side panels. I will be getting new ram modules and keeping them black but wanted to show you guys this anyway.

Also cleaned up the rear i/o shield

Suits the build better this way!

Stay tuned for more!

Cheers,

Alex

Hey guys,

Here's a better look at the case and the awesome blue powder coat :D

Cheers,

Alex

System Name Loose nuts & bolts
Processor FX-8350 - EK Supreme HF full nickel
Motherboard ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0
Cooling Water EK goodness all around 2xBlack Ice X-280
Memory 2 x8G HyperX Fury 1600 @ 9-9-9-24-1T
Video Card(s) 2 x XFX RX 480 w/EK-FC RX 480 nickel+Acetal
Storage Samsung 850 Evo + 2xWD Black 500GB in RAID0
Display(s) Crossover 27" 2560x1440 110Hz OC
Case Cooler Master HAF XB EVO
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Software Win 10 Enterprise x64

Hey guys,

Here's a quick look at some of the components going in the build. The CPU, fans and PSU.

Custom decals for the PSU and fans incoming!

Here you can see the difference between the 15mm slim Gelid fans and 25mm normal ones.

Cheers,

Alex

Hey guys,

Here's a quick look at all the waterblocks!

Gave them all a quick polish, no sanding was done, just applied the solution and used the Dremel with the polishing cloth attachment to polish around everywhere.

Quick, easy and they came out pretty good!

The frame of the CPU block was also done in the same powder coat chrome as the RAM modules however this also won't stay. I'm getting along with new RAM modules the nickel plated frame that EK offer. Should look pretty good with that on.

Also giving this poor SSD a make over, was pulled from my Fractal Desing ARC Mini R2 build before becoming the Green Molecule. Not exactly sure what happened to the label on it.

Everything looks good on the inside and still works well.

That's it for now. I'm working on this build everyday after work pretty much now so updates should be rolling in regularly.

Cheers,

Alex