1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

TPU a business?

Discussion in 'Comments & Feedback' started by MohawkAngel, Jul 6, 2010.

1. MohawkAngel

MohawkAngel New Member

Thanks Received:
    I just wanna bring on the table the fact that this website is like a business but could be one.
    Here we have guys good in mods, other good in suggestions and knows really well their technical specs, others are good in research over internet for some unkown and special stuff, we have guys who are pros in electronics but more ofthat we have so many guys in here. If we had the will to do it we could start our own company and produce psu, cases, moded accesories. Of course we could not build motherboards but everything around the case and psu is do-able.

What's your opinion about that?
  2. _JP_

_JP_

Thanks Received:
    That's a pretty good idea :rockout:,
    but how are you thinking of managing all of this?

Can't really say/decide what's my area of expertise, but I'm in! :toast:

Oh, and the final word is always W1zz's. :respect:
  3. MohawkAngel

MohawkAngel New Member

Thanks Received:
    We communicate via a forum so how about creating a special secured forum for company members only ?

Of course all tpu members could vote from a list of applicants imposed by the owner of TPU who would have himself previously received canditates applications stating how they think they could benefit the company, what they can do the best and what section they would work for. With some of their work in exemple.

Guys could apply in IT service, market research, accounting, artistic creations for case in exemple. Electronic for PSU's. Name it !

on my behalf my specialty is structure management and gestion of companies, production and business. Could wrtie down some step-by-step plans for establishing different departments.
  4. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    So you suggest that a bunch of people who met and communica via a forum could design, produce, market and actually sell a PSU? Sounds very realistic...

There are some open source projects around designing actual hardware, but they will probably never make any profit.
  5. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    Sounds like a horrible idea. I doubt it would ever work. My guess is the News/Reviews nature of the site does well enough, move into hardware and there is a massive amount of cost involved and liability. Pass.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  6. MohawkAngel

MohawkAngel New Member

Thanks Received:
    I don't know if it could be realised but I seen guys here making some hell good cases, some mad scientist in electronics, som guys with more knowledge in products than the own staff of those companies.

-An ant is a good worker but alone won't go far. Put a lot of ants together and you'll get a kingdom. (MohawkAngel)
  7. LAN_deRf_HA

LAN_deRf_HA

Thanks Received:
    The talent isn't the problem, the money is. To do major products like a psu it would take large start up costs. About the most I'd expect from a tpu member run shop would be custom machined stuff. Like waterblocks, backplates, shielding for sound cards etc... Profit would be incredibly small and hard to manage as everyone who built/designed a specific item would need a cut for the sales of just that specific item. Add in having some of the money go to a central account for expanding the shop and profits get even smaller. If I design a sound card shield, someone else builds it, someone else paints it, and someone manages sales/shipping, there's not a lot of money to go around on a $10-15 product.
  8. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Aimed at what market? Distributed how? TPU is online media, I don't see that change.
  9. Phxprovost

Phxprovost Xtreme Refugee

Thanks Received:
    yea i wasn't really paying attention and kinda just skipped past the op, my bad, ignore my post :banghead:
  10. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    a truly horrible idea.
  11. Delta6326

Delta6326

Thanks Received:
    would be cool but very hard to keep everyone together. But my expertise would be building i love building computers :roll: thats why im here!
  12. dr emulator (madmax)

dr emulator (madmax)

Thanks Received:
    where's the poll ? :D
  13. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    so for the front money to start said endeavour, do we all buy stock via paypal, or is w1zz just kindly gonna cover that tab? :roll:
  14. DrPepper

DrPepper The Doctor is in the house

Thanks Received:
    Hmm business' need organization and a management hierarchy to be organized. Nevermind the fact that members can't be kept an eye on to see how far their progress has come in their work or if they are even working. Then there is all the complexities that come with manufacturing electronics like planning, getting components and out sourcing all the manufacturing anyway. It's a nice idea albeit an unlikely one.
  15. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    actually all startup cash should be sent to me via paypal :laugh:
  16. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I want a percentage for the idea, this is a business we are taking about after all;)
  17. Delta6326

Delta6326

Thanks Received:
    i call the first 51% stock :)
  18. MohawkAngel

MohawkAngel New Member

Thanks Received:
    And as the idea starter i'm the CEO :p Delta is the main owner if you can afford 51% stocks...means around 3.27$ lmao
    sneekypeet that was MY idea....you tried to overpass my patent rights!!! You're fired and I fill you with a lawsuit!

See we already have good stuff to start a company :p
  19. overclocking101

overclocking101

Thanks Received:
    I can see it now.....TPU hardware-R-us sued for employing tons of 13yr old kids!
    btarunr says thanks.
  20. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I would prepare from a lawsuit from Techpowerup's owners if you're going that route. ;)
  21. MohawkAngel

MohawkAngel New Member

Thanks Received:
    It always end up the same. The guy end up paying a fine and stay free cause he's backed up by a country like China or somethign who stole the idea and now sell back to us the stuff we previously designed :p
  22. blkhogan

blkhogan New Member

Thanks Received:
    Would not work. Sorry. Cool idea? Yes. But that's about it. To many variables to factor in. Where do you get your OEM suppliers? Where do you get the capital to start? Where do you get your work force to do manufacturing and administration? What kinds of products are you going to market without having the shizat sued out of you for trademark infringment? Who's going to pay for the legal aspect of trademarking and pats. The list goes on and on and on... :)
  23. Tatty_One

Tatty_One Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Moved thread to "Comments & Feedback", I felt it more appropriate than "General Hardware"... I like to keep my drawers tidy :)
    Black Panther says thanks.
  24. DaveK

DaveK

Thanks Received:
    It's better if we had a vote of who will hold the majority of the shares, after all they would own the business :p
    Delta6326 says thanks.
  25. MohawkAngel

MohawkAngel New Member

Thanks Received:
    Let's the TPU monkey be the boss :p
    At leas we would have a boss that dont sucks our profits by paying him in bananas.