1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

TPU blacklisted

Discussion in 'Comments & Feedback' started by cdawall, Oct 20, 2012.

1. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    So after looking at some beta builds of gpuz on Google apparently tpu is openly disliked. This is to the point were people say not to join and 15 others bandwagon in with how much of a bunch of assholes we are etc.

Hat happened? Tpu used to be pretty open to AMD and Intel along with nvidia and ati now it's all one sided with immediate x companies fanboys ranting in all threads. Something needs to happen and in all honesty I am part of the issue. The site has turned very xs and h like were all questions that involve anything are blown off...this is getting bad I don't like being grouped with h.
    1Kurgan1 and Chevalr1c say thanks.
  2. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    Listen to "Man In The Mirror" and then see what you can do to help :cool:
  3. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    Can you provide links to where you saw those comments? I know there have been some 'questionable' new members joining as of late, but I have not seen any posts on other forums openly discrediting or bashing TPU.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  4. DannibusX

DannibusX

Thanks Received:
    Every site is going to have its community issues. There are people that absolutely love whatever vendor for whatever reason and aren't afraid to post their opinion on the subject. W1zzard and the staff aren't biased toward any one vendor, at least not publicly.

The things that drive me nuts are the asshats that jump on peoples' shit because they ask a relatively noobish question. Instead of telling people to use the search feature or to just Google it, maybe you can answer the question and point out that TPU does have a search feature.

Fanboys will be fanboys, TPU still has one of the best tech communities IMHO. I'm not going anywhere.
    _JP_, SaiZo, Super XP and 5 others say thanks.
  5. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    :roll:

:rockout:
  6. LAN_deRf_HA

LAN_deRf_HA

Thanks Received:
    This sounds like bullshit. I visit other forums plenty and while the internet in general is more hostile this place is still the most civil of the bunch. The tone of other forums tends to be very immature and I blame that on a lack of moderator involvement to set the tone.
    _JP_, Super XP, Chevalr1c and 2 others say thanks.
  7. Binge

Binge Overclocking Surrealism

Thanks Received:
    Hmmmm... Person is new to computers>Person goes to forum to learn about "what to buy">Gets answers>Goes to Youtube to watch instructionals on how to put computer together.

The issue is that instead of it all staying in tpu people go elsewhere. We've seen this far too much where people migrate here for answers then leave because it is easier to learn with videos instead of reading. With the creation of reddit.com/r/buildapc/ even less people want to try using a forum for information. I noticed that once benchmarking got a little slow a lot of the regulars stopped coming around because soooo many people were just bombing OC&C and General Hardware for build advice instead of participating/commenting in build threads/good deals/etc etc. So we have a great many people tired of seeing the forum bombed with non-topics. Not to compare ourselves with other forums, but we are a niche community. When people have a serious interest in hardware we take notice. It's not elitism but rather an appreciation for all things interesting about technology. Again... elitism is not a term I would use to describe a group of people who would rather see a build log come out of a request for the best hardware than nothing at all. If you spend 30 minutes+ trying to help a stranger then they disappear... how likely are you to stick around and listen to strangers if you want to look at build-logs and make suggestions on how to manage cable?
  8. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    shit like this happened.
  9. manofthem

manofthem

Thanks Received:
    They're all just jealous that W1zz isn't their creator and mentor!
    Phusius says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  10. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    meh. you always been a hater. I still have your PM.

You aren't successful until you got some haters, so....meh.

As to the whole fanboy thing...I see tonnes of people trying to help others, sometimes fanboyish...but...so?

I think it's fine that people are loyal to brands. Because in the end, when it comes to performance, the numbers say it all, fanboy or not.

I respect people just as much as they show me respect. Get on my bad side, well, you suck, and I'm gonna tell ya. Not everyone likes honesty..but oh well.
    Chevalr1c says thanks.
  11. BlackOmega

BlackOmega

Thanks Received:
    I think the quality of the people that go to tech forums has decreased. Not just here but in most that I would frequent.
    It used to be there were very informed people in abundance ready and eager to help people out, including newbs.
    Sadly a lot of those people left. Not just this forum but others as well. overclock.net used to be my favorite now it's just a bunch of fanboy's puffing their chests about Intel and nvidia and tearing into people for not jumping on their bandwagon.

I think this is due in great part to not needing to OC anymore. Today's hardware is so powerful that there is truly no need to do it. When I got into the game in 2005 you actually had to OC to make games playable. Now even lowly rigs can play damn near anything out there. No thanks to all of the console ports.
    There really hasn't been a game like Crysis since Crysis. Nothing to ooh and ahh about or that even remotely taxes a system to its Max. Now everyone's just trying to get 100FPS instead of making games playable.
    Chevalr1c says thanks.
  12. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    That's a what I think is a big part of the scene overall changing, and you are right, I see the same elsewhere, and kinda think cdawall was just trolling. Most of the actual regular posters are still here...I know they are, since I read nearly every thread. :p

Like where's everyone rocking the new AMd and nvdia VGAs and new FX and IVB CPUs...?

really...nowhere, and hardware OEMs say the same, with sales figures. The industry itself has cut back, in a big way. That's what happens during a recession.
    Chevalr1c says thanks.
  13. Norton

Norton WCG-TPU Team Captain

Thanks Received:
    You want to tax your system then its time for crunching (WCG) or folding (F@H) :toast:

Overall I don't see anything wrong with TPU... fanboy stuff gets old but that happens everywhere. Still my favorite place to go and browse, help others, and learn new stuff
    Chevalr1c and NHKS say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  14. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I think this is ridiculous and false.
  15. Phusius

Phusius New Member

Thanks Received:
    Agreed, sounds like a troll topic to me to incite hate, fear, and all around tear away our fun and love for this site.

Lay down the banhammer!!! :rockout: :nutkick: :roll:

<3 TPU
  16. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I wouldn't say it is completely false.

I had a conversation with W1zz last December where he explained the bad mojo to me about bans over the holidays. His first comment is you know they are going to go on 4Chan and bash us or dive into Facebook to spread the hate. I can see this happening easily, especially with the amount of members that get banned here every year.
    Chevalr1c says thanks.
  17. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    It's not but ok...last time I post actual comments and feedback. :shadedshu
  18. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Don't get your panties in a bunch man, you know we all like proof over just a random comment. Add a link to something and enjoy the troll face you get to wear for being right;)
  19. Phusius

Phusius New Member

Thanks Received:
    Eh, don't get too upset. It's probably people like me that are hurting the site more then anything, I am new to this world, and although finally getting the hang of things and my questions are finally dwindling down, I probably should have relaxed more on my comments in the past, but it is hard for me, I get excited and can't stop myself sometimes. :banghead:
    manofthem says thanks.
  20. trickson

trickson OH, I have such a headache

Thanks Received:
    Honestly who cares? I love TPU I get all my information and help from this ONE place. I can honestly say that this is the ONLY place I come to for help and information.
    Since Dec 5, 2004 . Long live TPU and all the great people here. :respect::rockout:
    Chevalr1c and Phusius say thanks.
  21. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I was googling for disparaging remarks about TPU and then I hit THIS

Great stuff.

Every site on the internet will get thier share of fans and haters. It's part of internet "life".
    I think that if you took the time to look for people saying good things about TPU you would probably find a lot.

You've been here since 2006 and have 14K+ posts.
    We all get trashed on occassion. Having a bad day or something? Not like you ...
    Chevalr1c and FordGT90Concept say thanks.
  22. ThE_MaD_ShOt

ThE_MaD_ShOt

Thanks Received:
    Most of the stuff I have noticed that is negative have seem to come from people that aren't "regular" members. I feel overall this is a great community and tip my hat to you guys.
    _JP_, NHKS, trickson and 2 others say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  23. mediasorcerer New Member

Thanks Received:
    Everyone asks a million questions they probably could have searched for when they first discover tpu, it's an impressive community with a huge knowledge base that's very accessible to anyone basically, just takes time to find your "space" here just like any site.

I believe it's important not to buy into negativity too much as directing attention towards it gives it focus which it may not really deserve, the net is full of folks who want everything for nothing and complain even when they get what they want, whereas the ideal is a mutually beneficient working relationship with folks.
    What you put in, is what you'll get out usually,
    and on that note, LONG LIVE TPU, and thanks for helping me many many times folks.
    I appreciate the generosity of spirit!!

The best thing about the folks who keep this place running, is they don't seem to pander to corporate interests like some other sites do[as far as i can tell], and that's just the best thing ever in my book.
    Chevalr1c says thanks.
  24. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Too many opinionated posts, that is my only concern. Posting "Another 1080p junk/where is my 1200 screen/768 is fugly" is not going to help anyone unless you back it up with something substantial. Also, lots of misinformation like "Seagate has high failure rate compared to others/Intel is always better than AMD/Nvidia is overpriced, avoid". I wish people would pay more attention to some research first (even if its not correct), and at least have the decency to correct oneself if its blatantly clear that he is wrong.
    Maban, Chevalr1c and n-ster say thanks.
  25. mediasorcerer New Member

Thanks Received:
    ^That could be cleaned up or managed with some moderating yes?
    Like phusius said, new folks get excited and awestruck just want to get involved, perhaps they go about it with too much enthusiasm[i know i did lol], which could easily be fixed?
    Phusius says thanks.