1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

TPU blacklisted

Discussion in 'Comments & Feedback' started by cdawall, Oct 20, 2012.

1. dontpanic

Thanks Received:
    As a long time AMD fan I can relate, but AMD has their place, and need it. I will also say I am going to Intel for my desktop needs for this round.
  2. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    Well I got pretty annoyed at the fact that I made a thread asking a simple question about an AMD APU being capable of playing Guild Wars 2, and never receive an answer. Instead I got a bunch of posts saying I should build an Intel rig instead...

I see this happening more often than not here, most of the time it is hard for people to even get an answer to their question anymore, most threads turn into an argument about why X is so much better than Y.
    DannibusX and Chevalr1c say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  3. ZakkWylde

ZakkWylde

Thanks Received:
    TPU FTW! I don't post much but I read a lot nearly every day and this forum is excellent. The only complaint I could see being justified (and this is only on occasion not always) is when someone asks a noob question or something quite simple and is hammered with responses ignoring the question and telling them to google it themselves. I realize some questions are quite lame or even self explanatory but that is really a lame response and the person asking the question should be respected even if they are lacking in knowledge. (again this is the exception here at TPU and not the norm). Fanboy stuff is always going to exist so its not worth complaining about, do not feed the trolls.

TPU is excellent, thank you to this amazing community!
    saknid and Jetster say thanks.
  4. STCNE

STCNE New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm just not seeing it. Maybe it's because I came from another, larger PC forum that was pretty hostile. This site is just a lot better(and less touchy when political posts pop up). The other forum I was on it was like the mods were big brother, watching everything and frequently banning anyone with a differing opinion. That forum felt more like a business, this forum is more like a community. I really don't care about gaming and overclocking anymore but I still check back here daily to keep up with things, it's the community that draws me back I guess.
    Chevalr1c says thanks.
  5. KainXS

KainXS

Thanks Received:
    naaa i think its just that we are getting older here and we have new people joining up and they will get there infractions and learn, haven't we all been there and learned our lessons, I know I have

:D

(shiet happens)
  6. NHKS

NHKS New Member

Thanks Received:
    I hope I haven't enflamed or seemed like a fan-boy in any of the posts I've made so far.. I ve been posting in TPU for a year now(before that I was just a reader) and I try my best to add some value or information..
    TPU is a very good & helpful community... but there is the occasional hint of thread flaming/fanboyism (makes an interesting read sometimes!)... It is bound to happen on the 'internet'.. but hopefully shouldn't be a regular occurrence.. as many of you(including me) probably have acted this way sometimes:

[​IMG]

My thanks to the community
  7. trickson

trickson OH, I have such a headache

Thanks Received:
    LOL. You Know Cdawall Me thinks this has some thing to do with me. LOL.

Some how I just feel it. :pimp:
  8. LAN_deRf_HA

LAN_deRf_HA

Thanks Received:
    I hope all the people complaining about AMD bashing are literally talking about post like this "AMD sucks!!!" because there's been no end to detailed and fair arguments about their general suckage.

Well this has always been a problem just about everywhere. I don't why I ever bother asking questions on forums. Either you don't get an answer or everyone tells you what else you should be doing. I mean I get that most people are stupid and really could benefit from ulterior suggestions but when you know specifically what you're doing it's really annoying.
  9. W1zzard

W1zzard Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    where are those links?
  10. entropy13

entropy13

Thanks Received:
    Oh W1zz posted. If it were in another forum (where I only just lurk in), the OP would be banned.
  11. Widjaja

Widjaja

Thanks Received:
    I personally have never seen another forum complaining about TPU.

I personally see we have some wanna be resident elitists who make new members feel bad about coming on here and asking what some may consider a dumb question which I think can reflect poorly on TPU.

Everyone has to start somewhere and not everyone is clued up as others.

Instead of shoving google search engine down their throat in a patronizing manner, either respond to the QUESTION or don't post at all.
  12. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    If any Tech online forum should be blacklisted it should be OCN. That website has gone so downhill over the years.
  13. remixedcat

remixedcat

Thanks Received:
    I'm very unbiased.... and a lot of people are uncomfy about it. I've been attacked for not being biased (on other boards). seriously. people are that messed up.

people are weak that cling to companies.
  14. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    Brand Loyalty dude. Deal with it, its everywhere.
  15. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    I can't seem to find the thread anymore. Someone could have gone BGTD on it or I could have just gotten off of 12hrs worth of work. I will see if I can hunt it down tomorrow.

Lets get something straight now I honestly wasn't trying to start a troll argument about TPU I rather like the place hence why I have been a member since 06. Seen plenty of change and what not since I joined. I am not trying to badmouth TPU or anyone on it. I just figured since I saw something some other people might want to know that a forum (I think it was guru3D) had a somewhat negative view of TPU. Seeing how I like the community I figured it would be a simple hey WTF guys I noticed some shenanigans as well. If moderators think this thread was out of place since I can't for the fucking life of me hunt this god damn thread down now go ahead and close/delete this, BUT seeing how a couple other people seem to have noticed somewhat similar issues within the forums maybe this is something that should be addressed. Meh whatever I am going to bed.
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2012
  16. the54thvoid

the54thvoid

Thanks Received:
    I read a few sites but only post on TPU. It's got to be one of the most global sites out there. I think other sites probably have ritualistic culture issues going on. Correct me if i'm wrong but W1zz makes GPU-z? That's such a massively utilised piece of software that other people can't but help know here it comes from. Now if you don't belong to that forum, you start to get the inferiority jitters.

Plus, Asus using W1zz 670 TOP review as promo material - you can hear the naysayers saying 'bribery', when it clearly was not.

I think it's a cultural identity thing. People get tech site envy.

And yeah, there are a lot of brand loyal people here. But that's the same everywhere. And when folk talk shite, they don't need to be moderated (unless causing offense) they usually get hit over the head with the big fat fact stick and stop posting.

Plus there are numerous good sub forums with plenty of helpful advice (all the clubs).

We just all have to remember tech sites invite all sorts of nefarious types in. Plus it's the web. Overall, TPU is pretty well balanced.
  17. remixedcat

remixedcat

Thanks Received:
    I normally never bring other forums into discussion on any forum I am on, however....

I'm also very high profile member on neowin forums and this place is very tame compared to over there. tons of wars goin on about windows 8. also a couple mods over there are not mod material.

I have over 7K posts on neowin (has everything on one forum instead of two like this site does) and just hit 8K on GN. I hang out at GN more cuz I prefer to talk about other things more then hardware. I still geek out here a lot though.
  18. Fatal

Fatal

Thanks Received:
    A lot of members are very helpful and the staff here do a fantastic job in my opinion. Some threads get off track at times but for the most part I think most get their questions answered. There can be a few bad apples but that's all over the net. I have yet to have a question that has not been answered here.
  19. DaedalusHelios

DaedalusHelios

Thanks Received:
    I find that statement to be kind of funny. You are taking statements personally. *Skyrim Guard voice* If people trash AMD it shouldn't make you sad like they stole your sweet roll.

@everyone: I frequent about 7 forums and this one has the best management/moderators/owner. The users have come and gone like most forums though. But many members make this forum great and have stayed on long.
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2012
  20. ShiBDiB

ShiBDiB

Thanks Received:
    It's also not fanboyism when its true.. although that doesnt mean you shouldnt get help for an AMD problem.
  21. Tatty_One

Tatty_One Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    To be honest, as some have said, some negative press is inevitable especially on the intewebz, the best most reliable products in the world, whether they be motherboards, cars or perfume have their lovers and haters. I remember a couple of years ago there was some worldwide user survey into reliability of car manufacturers, apparently the survey took 3 years to complete and 6.5 million car owners were surveyed through a host of different mediums, the overwelming car manufacturer who got by far the biggest customer satisfaction and reliability score was Lexus, apparently 150,000 Lexus ownere were surveyed, and 93% of them were giving 10/10.... I sadly recall much of the focus on car forums at the time was about those 7% of dissatisfied customers..... sadly it's where we find ourselves in life.

Over the last 11 years I have been a member of 6 of the biggest and most well known tech communities around, for almost 7 years there is only one site that I exclusively visit and it is of course this one. As far as disgruntled "ex" members are concerned, maybe we have not always gotten things right but for the sake of a little bad press here and there I would much rather have the kind of standards we at least "try" to maintain, rather than descend into the chaos of some of the other sites out there. I would be very intersested in knowing the levels of banning on some of those other major players, I am willing to bet their banning rates are several times higher than here, maybe in a community with our size and reputation as*ho*es stand out easier than they do in other places?

IMO Brand loyality is good, it's about positive experiences and choice, however brand "blindness" is not, it encourages misinformation, bad advice and ultimatly bad feelings, sadly we do suffer from it to a degree but we are no different than any other walk of life in that respect...... for me and for now, this is my place of choice....... choice being the keyword here!
  22. Raw

Raw

Thanks Received:
    presumptuous

Whoa there big fella...

That's a little presumptuous and chesty of you to assume that anyone is in the same catagory as our endeared MM.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  23. entropy13

entropy13

Thanks Received:
    TMM's overrated, he left GN because of his double standards.
  24. Super XP

Super XP

Thanks Received:
    Don't worry what other people and/or sites think about TPU. They have a right to an opinion(s). What pisses me off is anything that threatens freedom of speech & expression. Morons that came out with this nonsense will eventually convince the government(s) that common sense should be legislated.

In order for this to never happen, people need to grow thick skin and STFU. NOT directing this to you cdawall at all, you are only reporting what you found out :)
  25. W1zzard

W1zzard Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received: