1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

TPU blacklisted

Discussion in 'Comments & Feedback' started by cdawall, Oct 20, 2012.

1. Widjaja

Widjaja

Thanks Received:
  2. manofthem

manofthem

Thanks Received:
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  3. Super XP

Super XP

Thanks Received:
  4. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Re : Bad Press
    The only time I've seen a lot of bad press, it wasn't aimed directly at TPU, but at W1zz. It was when he pulled the "I quit" April Fools joke and a lot of people believed it, then felt foolish for posting about it and got all butthurt. I bought it (because he didn't tell any of the mods he was doing it) and was relieved afterward that he wasn't going anywhere and I had a good laugh at myself.

Re: Thread Hijacking
    If any of you start a thread and it gets pulled off topic into a X vs Y thread, simply report the thread and tell us that happened and we will gladly get it back on topic for you. That's a lot better than trashing the people who pulled it off topic as that makes you an instigator of a flame war (which invariably will happen), and you would get the warning/infraction even though your intent was good.

Here's a tip : When you report a thread, do so calmly, state your point clearly and don't rant. I makes it a lot easier for us to understand what the !@#$ you are talking about.

Re : Fanboyism
    Being a fanboy is allowed. Calling someone else a fanboy is not.
    If you are a fanboy try to temper your enthusiasm with actual facts and logical reasoning as to why you feel the way you do. It's always better to promote your favorate products than to try to trash the competition. That's when flame wars start and people get infractions.

Just a few tips from yer Ol' Uncle Kreij. :toast:

Fatal, _JP_, NHKS and 1 other person say thanks.
  5. Fluffmeister

Fluffmeister

Thanks Received:
    I'll bump the thread back up later, I'm always up for a laugh. ;)

6. NHKS

NHKS New Member

Thanks Received:
  7. Derek12

Thanks Received:
  8. scaminatrix

scaminatrix

Thanks Received:
    TPU - Land of the Genius and Home of the Great.

People could be nicer though.

:roll:

9. Kreij

Thanks Received:
    Well if you weren't such a censored censored who acted like a censored censored maybe people wouldn't treat you like the censored censored you are !!

:roll:

Just kidding, Scam. Couldn't resist.

I think things run pretty smoothly on TPU and there has not been a while lot of drama lately.
    If you have ideas or suggestions to make life better on TPU, we are always willing to listen.

Just out of curiosity, are there any other sites that have a thread specifically for airing grievances publicly with the moderators like TPU has?

Last edited: Oct 20, 2012
    scaminatrix says thanks.
  10. trickson

trickson OH, I have such a headache

Thanks Received:
    I read some of the shit that was on that site and I must say, Them are some brain dead dipshit assholes there! They need to get a life and a job!

11. AlienIsGOD

AlienIsGOD

Thanks Received:
    its all my fault, I admit it :rockout: :pimp: :rockout:

Crunching for Team TPU
  12. scaminatrix

scaminatrix

Thanks Received:
    I think the only thing "wrong" with TPU is under the hood; the members; some of us have become less helpful than we used to be and just troll or use pictures-as-posts etc. I've contributed to this; and I think this thread might be actually what we need for a little bit of self-assessment.
    I know W1zz debunked that bias-review crap, and I'm not saying these other sites are right when I say this; but I do wish things could go back to how they were sometimes, when MailMan was the only troll. At least he was tame back then :laugh:

Just goes to show - people see one incident and they dwell on it for the rest of their life. Forget the good, remember the bad; all over again.

95Viper says thanks.
  13. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Awww... Mr. Quad Damage still hasn't replied. I suppose being a member at a website for 12 years may give someone an inclination to post whatever they want. Then again, there's lots of people on the internet who think they're important. I know I'm not. I never created a damn thing for the internet.

I still want to see some links from Cdawall

14. Kreij

Thanks Received:
    Whenever you are a member of a forum for quite awhile you see it all and it becomes old hat.
    When new members join and ask basic questions that have been asked a million times before you think "Jeez ... that AGAIN !?!?"

You have to remember that we were all in that place at some point in the past. We increased our knowledge and expertise through both searching for answers and trying things out ... and we counted on the help of others to get there.

We are now the teachers. It's our job to teach the next generations what we have learned or the information will be lost. To not do this makes all our efforts irrelevant, and is a disservice to what TPU is all about.

Don't send the newbies off to Google, give them the best advice you can and make them feel welcome.
    We won't be here forever and they are the future teachers of TPU. Let's show them that TPU IS the best place for tech so they can carry on the fine tradition that W1zz started.

Just my 2 cents.

Norton and _JP_ say thanks.
  15. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Sounds great in theory.

16. Kreij

Thanks Received:
    Will sounds even better after a couple of beers.

17. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Issue is that when I help on a product I don't or haven't owned before, and I can find the answer in the first Google hit, how is it not good advice to tell them that they can help themselves. Isn't teaching a man to fish better than handing him a fish? ;)

18. Kreij

Thanks Received:
    There is a difference in teaching a man to fish and pushing him out of the boat into the lake. ;)

19. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    yes that is a dual lesson by pushing them out of the boat. Fishing and swimming are two very different things. I guess the point as I do it isn't to kick them out, its just to show them how to find the same information I am delivering to them.

I'm not saying we should rely on Google entirely, just that it is a good place to start.

20. Clubber_Lang

Clubber_Lang New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well.....I didn't read through this entire thread , but even though I'm considered a noob here.....I really like it here. I think for the most part , everyone has treated me with respect and understand I'm just plain stupid ( but learning! ) about computers here. I am a member on some of those other sites as well......but as far as this place goes , I love the information I can read here and I've always felt " At home" here.

Fwiw.....I stay away from the fanboy type arguments......because what it all boils down to is this.....It's your money....spend it how YOU want! Ask questions and seek advice to help you make the correct decision before you purchase something. And remember.....what may be "perfect" for you....may NOT be perfect for someone else. No use flaming someone else because of it.

[​IMG]

21. Clubber_Lang

Clubber_Lang New Member

Thanks Received:
  22. fritoking

fritoking

Thanks Received:
    this....i just dont understand how someone can get mad at someone else spending their money in their budget...smh

23. wiak

wiak

Thanks Received:
    there are always some monkeys in millions :p

24. Raw

Raw

Thanks Received:
    It took me awhile but...

Hmmm, I've sort of grown a bit fond of his intellect.
    It took me awhile but after reading some of his posts, really reading them instead of just glancing and reacting, I see he brings a lot to the party.

:)

25. Kreij

Thanks Received:
    Okay ... so now we know that Raw is one of TMMs alt accounts. lol