1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

TPU Dota 2 Thread

Discussion in 'Games' started by ThunderStorm, Dec 28, 2012.

1. Absolution

Absolution

Thanks Received:
    The worst games are the ones where you have 2 or more players in a team on your side. This is esp true for lower skilled games. If anything goes wrong, they start trash talking, blaming etc the outsider for everything and anything.

The solo queue seems to be badly implemented - I got a level 7 player with a very small number of matches in my team, have 800+ matches for myself, he didnt even know what a chick/courier was. Played chen on lane and fed like crazy, didnt communicate either..

I play on SEA and EU West too.
  2. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Try to not do anything wrong then, they can't blame you. Also, just ignore them and let them trash talk. When I play as a team (3-5 of us usually), my team will try to refrain from trashtalking, it usually affects the performance of the others. We trashtalk among ourselves though.

Solo queue is quite weird, yes.
  3. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]

looks like that punishment got lifted. i think it was for network error.

also someone commended me for leadership after my first match! lol.
  4. Scatler

Scatler

Thanks Received:
    Oh god, those item builds. (lmao 2 crystalys - they don't stack btw)
    Protip - use ingame guides for item builds and skill distribution throughout the game.
  5. Fourstaff

Thanks Received:
    Get Forcestaff for bloodseeker: cast your bleed and then push them around.
  6. CounterZeus

CounterZeus

Thanks Received:

The chances stack multiplicatively on crystalys. Crit damage doesn't stack.
  7. de.das.dude

Thanks Received:
    critical damage doesnt stack?
    so i have been buying those red swords for nothing :/ ?
  8. _JP_

_JP_

Thanks Received:
    He's still new to the game and the concept of it. For some reason, he also only plays mid, no matter the hero. :\
    You have 6 slots for items. You either have this really good item that stacks and makes an actual difference in teamfights, or you never buy two of the same.
    Also, it would help you read descriptions.
    Just like many, this game has a wiki. Spend some time there. It helps.
  9. de.das.dude

Thanks Received:
    its not in the description

and the attack damage DOES increase.

and i dont play mid anymore :p
  10. _JP_

_JP_

Thanks Received:
    Wiki, then.
    So it will with a different, but probably better (hence more expensive) item. (said item might also have beneficial passives, for the team and yourself)
    Good to know. Have you learned about hero roles yet?
  11. d1nky

d1nky

Thanks Received:
    i fired this game up...... and then turned it off!

i dont have a clue how to play it lol

:cry:
  12. de.das.dude

Thanks Received:
    yes
    i like carries :3
  13. _JP_

_JP_

Thanks Received:
    It's good to have preferences, but counterproductive in this game, FYI.

EDIT: That is to say, that you shouldn't pick a carry when you want to (even though you should first consider if you need to), but gaining experience with other roles drastically improves your performance in the game, both for yourself and your team. And especially your team.
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2013
  14. Fourstaff

Thanks Received:
    Go watch some Youtube guides and things like that, this game is not easy. Play against bots for a few dozen matches to get an understanding of it.

Have you heard of IG's philosophy: "Pick 5 carries, keep your enemy guessing which one is the true carry"

I personally think that as long as you are playing a stunner you can pick any position. Sven can be played as a support, Tidehunter is generally good in any situation, Skeleton King is just a very efficient noob hero.

If you want a hero which gives you an understanding of the game, play Windrunner. She can do everything, and because of that it forces you to try to understand the game.

Guide to effective warding (Wc Dota version, its the same if you can recognise):
    http://www.playdota.com/guides/heldarions-total-warding

If you can ward effectively, the game is yours because you will be able to tell what is happening in the game, and act accordingly.
    d1nky, PLSG08 and de.das.dude say thanks.
  15. techtard

techtard

Thanks Received:
    I play this game while drinking mostly, and I do not like to watch replays, Youtube vids, or anything else that gets too Meta. That ruins the fun in my opinion.

Have recently been using a lot of support and winning most games when my teammates weren't borderline retarded.

I used to play Random heroes solely, but that led to a 1:1 win/loss ratio and a lot of abuse from teammates because I was new to certain heroes. It was fun, and trial by fire is a good way to learn, IMO.

One of my recent tactics is making a troll Warlock or Keeper of the Light build where I sneak in Mjolnir or Assault Cuirass. My teammates give me grief, but we usually win.

Used to run Windrunner, but for a while she was pretty popular and someone would always select her before I could, so I started experimenting with other heroes.
  16. Absolution

Absolution

Thanks Received:
    Those disconnects :D and poor spiritbreaker

Bloodseeker is the best pick for new players. He's a very punishing hero for newbies because newbies simply dont know that they need to stop moving. As you move up the skill ladder, you will notice bloodseekers with forcestaff and eventually less and less picks (because people learn not to move) and also bloodseeker is a somewhat hated carry pick (weak / useless sort).

Two crystalys will stack but with diminishing return. 2x crystalys will have a 36% critical chance (instead of 40%). Damages from the crystalys will add up properly tho. I think there was one game where a professional team picked up 2x crystalys (think it was the last Dreamhack, hero was clinkz and team was EG).

Also, if anyone even hints at a flame/blame attitude, immediately mute him/them.

Check this video out too, it points out common mistakes by new players
    Purge casts a pub Ep. 17 - YouTube

Try the tutorial.
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2013
  17. Faith[ROG].Anarchy

Faith[ROG].Anarchy

Thanks Received:
    At least ! This thread at TPU !
    I'm so glad for it
    Been playing the original DotA for 5 years and Dota 2 for near 2 years now.
  18. de.das.dude

Thanks Received:
    i have noticed something. that most players dont know jack shit about roles and strategies. i have often seen players pick weak characters, and then block my character(a carry) from levelling up.

and far too many people run away when they see an opposing hero. atleast put in two punches lol.

i have also seen people who have no idea what to do, a couple of times, i took huskar (for ranged, durability and carry) and no one initiated the ganking. :/

i had to level up, and initiate and finish off the heroes. lol.
  19. PLSG08

PLSG08

Thanks Received:
    This is why I love WR. The only let down for WR is that she's mostly item dependent late game (Daedalus is great with focus fire btw) Early game she could do almost anything

with that said try and experiment different heroes (although don't go for invoker just yet until you understand how magic works in the game.

still having latency issues. Oh well i'm in a two day low priority pool so I'll just wait until I get a better ISP here before playing online.
  20. Fourstaff

Thanks Received:
    Best for you to play ganker-carry like spirit breaker. Able to stay relevant in the game even if your team sucks. Or prophet.

I almost never play wr for DPS. Most of the time is support with mek, force staff, sheepstick, sometimes shadowblade if there are no invisible heroes in my team, and tons of wards. Drums feature heavily in my builds too. Game doesn't usually last long enough for me to get any big items. During intense games I end my game with boots, magic stick and a bracer.
  21. de.das.dude

Thanks Received:
    i just tried drow ranger in practice and it was good.
  22. Fourstaff

Thanks Received:
    Be careful, she is extra soft. Once people focus on you its pretty hard distangle yourself.
  23. _JP_

_JP_

Thanks Received:
    Yes, and if the other team has half a brain, I would like to see all thos carries being able to get the gold advantage they need.
    The warding part is true, but I don't execute it extensively unless I have a hero that can easily run through the map.
    You are...what, level 2 by now?
    A lot of players are still new to this game, even by level 4 and it all depends on how much they want to learn (and have learned) about how to play the game.
    Also, if others aren't letting you farm, farm neutrals instead (not recommended early game, unless you have a jungler). Most new players aren't, predictably, good game readers, so you can't expect them to initiate something without communication (and without them knowing how to do it).
    And the last time you questioned me about picking a weak hero and running away a lot/not attacking, I had randomed Lich and was lanning with luna (which should have been you, but no, you were "used to go mid")(that kept leaving the lane) against kunkka and windrunner, early game, not to mention you not calling pudge missing in mid where you were. Of course I kept my distance, but still got ganked when luna was missing and pudge initiated successfully, the moment luna left.
    I find it annoying that you act arrogant and demanding to other players, when you still barely know how to play.
  24. PLSG08

PLSG08

Thanks Received:
    I envy you guys being able to play online without any problems. Me I have to always get in the damn low priority pool since I don't have a great connection.

Back to topic: No matter what level you are, what hero you play, or anything else you can't say you're good already. There's always room for improvement. Just don't trash talk and blame everyone else.

What pisses me off are those kind of people who keep saying "haha ur a noob gtfo" but they midlane Crystal maiden and ends up with the first death :/
  25. Fourstaff

Thanks Received:
    Well it worked for IG, which is one of the top teams out there so I guess the strategy is still relevant to the highest levels of the game.