1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

TPU Game Reviews

Discussion in 'Comments & Feedback' started by Kursah, Aug 25, 2007.

?

Should TPU Review Games?

Poll closed Sep 9, 2007.
  1. Hell Yeah! TPU Game Reviews FTW!

81.2%
  2. Meh. What would the point be?

4.3%
  3. No. Too Many Game Review Sites Out There Already...

14.5%
  1. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    I am starting this thread via suggestion from ChaoticBlankness due to the fact I think that TPU should venture into the realm of Game reviews. They are getting noticed for hardware reviews and that is also helping consideration for purchases and also visists to TPU. But TPU is lacking something it can easily attain greatness in, games. There are A LOT of gamers here, in fact I am willing to bet most of you reading this are in fact a gamer, some hard core, some on occasion. But I vote for TPU to start Game reviews, hell it could be a raffle for a TPU Forum user to review a game to make the strategy a little different, or have a few different forum users and a main TPU (employee???) person review the game for a wider review opinion focus.

But, if you game, which I'm sure most of you do, why not support TPU Gaming? It could become a whole new section for TPU, could create growth and community to great extents. I believe this is the next big step TPU needs to take, not to be competetive, but to be a better well-rounded place for PC users to visit. TPU is my first visit on any web browser I can access, but having game/pre-release/demo/beta reviews could shed new light to the News section and create a new content base for many to enjoy. I hope that my suggestions for this are considered and that many hope it is a good/great idea, because I believe it is and I want to see TPU succeed and grow as much as it can. :toast:

Edit: Well 2 years later, turns out it was a bad idea...maybe it will work out in the future, but if the games section on TPU Forums doesn't work, please do yourself a favor and find another gaming site/forum to visit. There's 1000's of them, literally...while none will have the TPU aura to them, there are a few decent ones. Cheers.
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2009
    candle_86, mon74, [I.R.A]_FBi and 5 others say thanks.
  2. technicks

technicks

Thanks Received:
    Where would we get the games from to review?
    Imo TPU should not be game related to much.
    There are a lot of gaming sites that have excellent reviews as you know.
    I also think you need a good amount of time spend with a game to give a good review.
    But this is just my opinion. Maybe the mods think something else.:toast:
  3. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    Well the stuff it reviews generally points to use of programs and games, and games are generally used for review benchmarks on MB's, RAM, Headsets, Mice, Keyboards, Monitors, Video Cards, CPU's, etc along with other test software. I just think it could lead to a good thing. I agree the "old" TPU was not ready for getting further into the gaming realm, but I think TPU has grown a lot, and now starting to progress and improve is perfect for gaming. Not as it's main priority, but as a side project. I think a lot of readers would take the opinion of TPU game reviews, as I know I have personally read many TPU Hardware reviews and taken them to thought for purchase or not. Thanks for your opinions Technicks! I hope you all will vote! I set a 15 day limit, so PLEASE VOTE! And please post your honest opinion! :toast:
    W1zzard says thanks.
  4. ChaoticBlankness

ChaoticBlankness New Member

Thanks Received:
    Like he said, we buy games anyways... so if any here had. oh, lets say.. Bioshock it could be reviewed on here. Maybe eventually TPUs could be sent games by developers, but for starters reviews can be done with what we have now.

Most people here, we're talking above 80% game in some way.. this includes mods and hardware reviewers, so why not.? Could be fun.
  5. Ravenas

Ravenas

Thanks Received:
    Honestly, I may be biased here but I won't read any reviews from any sources except PC Gamer. However, maybe TPU could tap into this market and do good PC reviews... The thing is, the market for this type of thing isn't the market TPU should venture in. That's just my opinion though.
  6. technicks

technicks

Thanks Received:
    But then the reviews depend on users to be written.
    The only way to do that is to make a list with specific rules for writing a review.
    Or else you will end up with very poor reviews. And all those reviews should also be checked by someone.
  7. driver66

driver66 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I agree 100% except i don't chat with their reviewers on a daily basis.:toast:
    I would trust a review by someone who seems to have the same interests and hobbies as me that I can atleast interact with :D
  8. HellasVagabond New Member

Thanks Received:
    The best reviewer is ourselves. I never take into account what review sites say about Games.
  9. ChaoticBlankness

ChaoticBlankness New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm not saying just anybody doing a review here.. if we did that it be a constant "I gives ti an 11/10, becuas eit was better thah seXors!" (and yes, the poor spelling was intentional.)

Perhaps they can be user submitted pending a review, or if a few people step forward with good reviews they become the regulars. I wouldn't mind seeing the impressions the game gave some people around around.
  10. technicks

technicks

Thanks Received:
    Why not start a game reviews club? Then it could be managed by the club without having a new mod working on it. Also this could be a nice try out.:toast:
  11. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    i'd say its a good idea,as a lot of us chat on here quite a lot,it would give old-timers a chance to see what other tpu users think of a game.also it would be good for attracting new members who will come and have a look at our site if they read a good review.

maybe there could be a montly submit a review contest/thing,so everyone would at least get a chance of having a review posted.

i am a gamer at any rate,and if you look at the games section,i see no reason why not to have a reviews section.

it will also give us more hits on google:D
  12. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    I like the sound of it! It could be a very progressive start! I see some good coming from this, I just hope that I'm right! Why not have TPU Users review games and post their thoughts and opinions of current games etc? If a review is worthy it could become a Posted Review/Article for TPU to link to on the main news page. That would give incentive for some to create a more thourough review. But it's not all technicalities, but how things are worded, explained and thought out that can make a review good or bad.

Thanks for the support all! :toast:
  13. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    That's cool and respectable, but what about fellow gamers?
  14. HellasVagabond New Member

Thanks Received:
    Each person is different...Some like graphics more , some like plot more, some like gameplay more the variables are many. Just because i like BF2142 doesnt mean one will too. People must play a game to see if they like it and especially in our days everyone can play a new game in a matter of hours since it is released.......I only look at screenshots before downloading a game and for that there are plenty of websites online which were built specifically for Game reviewing.
  15. technicks

technicks

Thanks Received:
    Maybe it could be done but without having the option to discuss about it.
    We all know what comes from those kind of discussions.;)
    Maybe more like a score system for reviews. From one to five stars or something.
    Then the readers decide if the review is good or bad.
  16. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    I do agree with that, but varied opinions and thoughts on something I find to be a good thing. I don't just go and read one persons thoughts or review of a PC peripheral/upgrade, I find different places with different people whom have differed opinions. I find that taking a little extra time to find more reviews on something, the better I will understand how well it works for many instead of a few, especially sites like newegg that feature customer reviews, that I do find helpful.

I see games in the same light, especially if there's not even enough hype for me to wanna try the demo, I will read up on it from a few places, find out what customers thought, to see if it's worth getting or passing by. I don't generally just go out and buy a game anymore because I've been burned before and ended up with an overpriced pain in the ass of a game before. So I think reading what more people feel their opinion is of a game will give me a good idea of a purchase, and then I at least will have an idea of what I'm getting and if it's positives are worth offsetting the negatives and so on.

I do agree that a 1-5 system may be a good idea technicks! :toast:
  17. DRDNA

DRDNA

Thanks Received:
    I say do it but with the review I say we use it also for help , how to, trouble shooting . .:toast:
  18. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    :toast:
  19. Mediocre

Mediocre New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'd like to see it (it would have a lot of competition though), but if it was done right...like the current reviews -> Packaging, Install Process, Fresh Screenshots, additional gameplay info not included in the manual (they NEVER cover the good stuff)

I vote for a multi-level scoring then an overall:

Gameplay (default control layout, smoothness, voice over)
    Video/Animation & cutscreen Quality
    Sound & Effects Quality
    ??

Would it cover different platforms? Or just PC?

So yeah I vote Yes :p
  20. HAL7000

HAL7000 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I am relatively new here , but voted no, there are a lot of dedicated game review sites out there......... trying to add this feature would only weaken the overall effectiveness of this site. I gather here the opinions and insight of others to increase my understanding of over clocking/ computering/ hardware advice etc...
    Creating links to game reviews and leaving the actual reviews to the dedicated gaming sites...thus giving the reader the available reviews and then allowing the forum opinion/ knowledge base to add your personal insight to a game may work.
    Of course we all have our favorites and would love to share our opinions...well this is the forum site of choice.:toast:
  21. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    I don't think it would hurt to also have console reviews, but I think that PC reviews should definately be the primary content for game reviews, but we have a lot of TPU members with PS3's and XBX 360's, and so on, so console game reviews are not out of the question. And I'm sure final decision will come down to the actual TPU Staff deciding whether or not this is a good idea. I hope to see something come of this thread because I would love to see gaming stuff more prominent on this site than it currently is. Not to change TPU, but to add to it's greatness.

Like many have said there will be a lot of competition, but TPU doesn't have to have the best ever game reviews out of the chute, because I'm sure many that don't know TPU will overlook them initially. But like I said, if I'm planning on buying a game, I'll read reviews/customer thoughts from many sites, including sites I've never been to before, just to get a wider variety of good/bad and opinions. Like Tigger said, we'll get more visits and hits on Google, is TPU ready for more? I believe so!

I agree with Mediocre about multi level scoring system, and if it really came down to it, we could have one person cover one section if we made it a Member based review. Keep the ideas and suggestions coming, I hope to see some responses from TPU staff on this topic, I'm sure they're well aware of this thread! =D

I would like the reviews to be helpful, and the best way I see is if gamers here help review games, but that's a clincher unless someone is already purchasing the game to have to burden them with buying a game they weren't planning on getting and so on. But TPU can easily get to a status that they can recieve games for review. And I'm sure we will see TPU stickers on game boxes in the future! :toast:
  22. HAL7000

HAL7000 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Have you considered the time it takes to play the games prior to the review, and remaining current to released games, pre released games,
    The relevancy of the review is for gamers to read the information prior to release or at release.
    This would be a large endeavor for TPU to have reviews that don’t fall to the wayside, or to far pass the released date. Theses game sites do it for a living. Having kids/ students and the working sector doing reviews in their spare time wouldn’t work efficiently in my opinion in the gaming world.
    Wanting to post a review that is relevant prior to the purchase of a game is time demanding. If you could work out these road blocks, well all the power to you. But you need to really look at this from all perspectives.
    TPU is a relevant and informative site, to weaken this foundation would not justify the quality of this site IMO.
  23. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    HAL7000,

That's your opinion, I'm glad you shared it. And I do agree with some of what you say, but to me it seems you're thinking that I want the Game Review section to become TPU, and that's not it at all. I don't want to see this site THAT dedicated to it, or even necessarily have the staff do game reviews. But having peers give reviews and opinions of games, how to tune it, etc, kind of like what's been happening, but just more of it in different organization. I think it would be very effective and helpful to many, and even some of the big game review sites miss deadlines, post reviews late, etc, it happens. I'm not looking for this idea to become that strict, that's what those sites are for, I want this to be a more public fed deal, maybe even if that means only thread based. It'd be a different take on reviewing games that not too many touch on. Besides having more people willing to help and lend in a helpful section or tip, or some information can become very helpful.

I see this as a prospect for the TPU Community and Staff to create something very cool that those who wanted to enjoy it would, those who didn't care can go to their "preferred" review sites, and everyones happy. I tire of some pro-reviews, I do rather enjoy reading more consumer reviews as I don't generally buy games on release day, I believe in giving it some time for patching and updating.

But if a section in TPU Forums was just for this, then we could create smaller sections that could be filled with Reviews, Tweaking, Mods, Patches, etc, for anyone to read and add their 2 cents to, and those threads would be stickied under each Game Title Section. It would be just like what we have with hardware, but with games. We all help eachother build these OC'd rigs and such, most of us do game when 3dM 06 get's boring (which it does since there's no activity and I can only bench so much of my PC's life away). I just hope to see something cool come from this, and I think that it doesn't have to fit other site's curriculum, then it would just be another one of those pro game review sites, and screw that, there are too many of those out there, there's always room for more, but there's no point. I'd rather see the community and staff create something that more can help out with and enjoy, find the help they need, post a question, and so on. Then the main threads such as Reviews, Tweaking, etc could be stickied.
  24. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    i like the idea :D
  25. HAL7000

HAL7000 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for shedding more light to the idea that was in your head.:toast: I remember when Av**lt was one of the premier gaming sites to read a review. but they changed their format, and bam....gone forever...was their original positive impact to the gaming world...now they are ....well I am not sure what they are. But they pushed a lot of supporters away, IMO.
    I understand better your focus with your detailed explanation. It does sound intriguing, but I was only pointing out the other side of the coin. :toast: