1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

TPU Game Reviews

Discussion in 'Comments & Feedback' started by Kursah, Aug 25, 2007.

?

Should TPU Review Games?

Poll closed Sep 9, 2007.
  1. Hell Yeah! TPU Game Reviews FTW!

81.2%
  2. Meh. What would the point be?

4.3%
  3. No. Too Many Game Review Sites Out There Already...

14.5%
  1. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, and it was my fault for not going into a better explanation of the ideas in my head. And I hope to sway this idea away from the other side of the coin that you pointed out, keep it within reach of the public for help/helping and so on. All ideas are welcome at this point. As I recently said in the TPU Editor's Choice thread (where this all began), I think we should focus more on Mid-range PC reviews, but have reviews from many types of setups and builds. Find out how well games perform on different systems could shed light of a purchase or an upgrade or and avoidance. I just hope to see something positive come from this. Thanks for your support HAL7000! :toast:
  2. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    *bump* I know it hasn't quite been 24 hours, but I am hoping that we can see some response from TPU Staff concerning this. Please keep voting! So far a majority of the TPU Community that has voted wants something for Gaming/Game Reviews on TPU. TPU Staff what do ya think?

Thanks in advance! :toast:
  3. HookeyStreet

HookeyStreet Eat, sleep, game!

Thanks Received:
    I would be willing to be a 'tester' :rockout:

PS: if TPU gets known for this sort of thing, games developers will provide the games for testing ;)
  4. Namslas90 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Sounds like a good reason, "alterier motives",:D:toast:
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2007
  5. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    That' would be a cool benefit if this can grow into something that get's noticed. And it can. I'm excited to see what becomes of this. :toast:
  6. W1zzard

W1zzard Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    pc gaming + console is something i definitely want to see us go this and next year.

i think it will not be on www.techpowerup.com because mixing all the content will make it hard for people to find what they are looking for. a sitename related to tpu will definitely make sense because the name is known and it can give the new site some good momentum.

the biggest problem i see is finding staff and figuring out how to do a good review. my highest priority right now is launching the new design which should be completed in the next weeks, after that i will look into setting up a gaming site and slowly growing it, just like tpu did (and this time we got $$ to finance it :) )

any ideas for names? should we mix the forums or keep them seperated?
  7. Namslas90 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'd think it would be easier all at one site, just add a gamming/reviews section like the case mod gallery maybe. This gives the I-net surfer everything TPU at one place.

:toast:
  8. technicks

technicks

Thanks Received:
    Keep it simple.

GamePowerUp!
  9. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    I still like TPU Gaming or something along those lines.

And right now I think that the reviews should primarily be community written, it would keep your workload to a minimum, granted they might not be as good as a pro review, that's kind of what I want to see is a more "realistic" review approach by many that actually play games with mid-range machines and so on.

If you could make a game section where we can have the game title be it's section, then stickied threads for review/tweaks/mods/etc and then other threads started by fans, those need help, etc, that's my vision. But I understand I have an ability to complicate things, so I hope to see more of TPU supporting this and spouting ideas.

I can see how you may want a different location for gaming, but for now I think we could simplify it to be based off of your forum and set the main review as a Game Review Article. It just depends on whom all wants to be involved, what standards for testing/reviewing we want to set, how many should we allow to be involved in a review and so fourth.

Thanks for your support W1Z! I'm excited to see this grow and give me one more reason to make this my main location to visit whenever I'm online (now if you could integrate yahoo mail into TPU I'd be good to go!). :toast:
  10. Polaris573

Polaris573 Senior Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Even if there is not a separate site there should be separate forums for the gaming section. I think adding so many more sub-forums would create a management mess and lose the focus of the forums.
    Namslas90 says thanks.
  11. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    Very true. So create a TPU Games! Forum or something of the sort, and how we'll implement different games into sections w/reviews and such will still need to be somewhat sorted, but that's why I'm asking for TPU Staff help with this, I do not create forums, I use them and post my ideas/help/opinions. I just hope I will be able to help create something that will cause a great deal of good for TPU even if I end up not being involved, I hope to see it become awesome!

I have so many ideas, and so do many other TPU members, I hope this thread will help us to sort out how the community and staff want ot see the TPU Game area and make it successful! :toast:
  12. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    TPU games would work best since it would still put the TPU brand out

also i think if we had multiple testers with different levels of systems we could really help out hose looking to grab the games
  13. DRDNA

DRDNA

Thanks Received:
    If keeping seprate means easier for administration then so be it ...Just be sure the TPU is in the name and that there is a sticky link at the top of this TPU site for easy access and that will promote that site as well

PS I knew W1zzard was on this one.
  14. HAL7000

HAL7000 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Gamers Power Up.....GPU.....simple.....a subsidiary of Tech Power Up....TPU.....

this separates the 2 with their own distinctive format....I agree technicks
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2007
  15. W1zzard

Thanks Received:
  16. PVTCaboose1337

PVTCaboose1337 Graphical Hacker

Thanks Received:
    Why can we not do like:

gaming.techpowerup.com?
  17. Polaris573

Polaris573 Senior Moderator

Thanks Received:
    It's less straightforward, some people might have trouble remembering it.
  18. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    I vote either gamepowerup.com or tpugames.com

Frankly I agree with W1Z on Gamepowerup.com. Of course a subdomain wouldn't hurt other than what Polaris said, people may forget it. But if TPU didn't want to put too much investment into it, it could start as a sub-domain to see if it is a worthy prospect. I think it is, but then again, it's not my funds, just my opinion and suggestions. This is gonna be sweet!
  19. PVTCaboose1337

PVTCaboose1337 Graphical Hacker

Thanks Received:
    Wait so a question:

How would TPU benefit, and will I have to join another forum?
    mep916 says thanks.
  20. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    I think TPU would benefit by allowing gamers to read up on, get help with and enjoy gaming, which would give browsing gamers another place to go for their gaming news, reviews, patches, tweaks, tuning, help and so on. My original idea of integrating it into the current TPU would create too much chaos, so I do agree with making it an attached entity of TPU instead of in TPU.

As far as having to join another forum, that is a good question, I would hope that they can find a way to create a forum extension that would allow the gaming section to be a seperate entity for gaming, but combined with tpu's current forum.

Either way, I feel it is time for TPU to be more known in the gaming communities, it already is to an extent, and this should help TPU grow and be more recognized.

Good questions PVT.
  21. ChaoticBlankness

ChaoticBlankness New Member

Thanks Received:
    When I mentioned that Kursah should suggest this it was based off a single idea we both agreed on... TPU members game... allot.

TPU will benefit because I think most of us want to see this community more active in games. We like the idea of knowing our "local guys" in depth opinions of the latest titles. Having objective unbiased reviews of games we all care to know about, written by people wee talk to here on the forum... people we know.

@PVTCaboose1337 - I do see what you mean, how will the forum situation be handled. That's going to be judgment call. We can just link to "http://forums.techpowerup.com" or maybe even link to our current "Games" section. The question is, will the gaming site really need it's own forum?
    Kursah says thanks.
  22. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:

I think they can link like you said to the main TPU forums, maybe increase the Game section or modify it's sections and such. Time and staff and W1Z's decisions will tell, but as long as gaming becomes a part of TPU for something we can all be involved in and enjoy, I'm going to do what I can to be a part of it. :rockout:
    ChaoticBlankness says thanks.
  23. little geek New Member

Thanks Received:
    ok if ur testing these games on different spec machines such as low,med and high how would u not what that is? like my machine is that medium or low? is low gonna be based on the minimum requirements for tha game and high for recommended specs, if so what would be medium?
  24. W1zzard

Thanks Received:
    thats a very valid question and one of the strongest arguments to throw the forums together
  25. DRDNA

DRDNA

Thanks Received: