1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

TPU Minecraft Server

Discussion in 'Games' started by newtekie1, Feb 2, 2011.

1. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    This game seems to be CPU intensive. Am I right or am I seeing things?
  2. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    it is everything intensive because it needs to be streamlined.
    TheMailMan78 says thanks.
  3. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    It only utilizes a single core on the CPU and doesn't utilize the GPU enough. Either way I get like 200+ FPS, any lag I get is network based.
    TheMailMan78 says thanks.
  4. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Ah single core. Are they planing on making it multi-threaded?
  5. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    Somewhere around 1.2, they made one of the threads low priority. It lags like a mofo if BOINC or F@H are running because of it. Otherwise it runs okay if you have a descent video card.

I highly doubt it will get much more mult-ithreaded than it is already.

erocker, you were added to the list and I'm in the server if you want a tour.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  6. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    Probably planning it, but I'm sure it is waaaay down the list of planned items. But I don't think it really matters all that much, my Celerons run it fine.:toast:
    Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  7. garyinhere

garyinhere

Thanks Received:
    mine keeps *not responding? saying a Java binary SE issue and ran into a compatibility issue so running it in xp mode but still crashes after 3mins?

Edit: java is up to date this is on a fresh install?????
  8. PVTCaboose1337

PVTCaboose1337 Graphical Hacker

Thanks Received:
    I run Minecraft on a netbook with no issues. Anyone who complains is trying to fold + watch something in 1080p + play minecraft. Regarding parallel programming, I'm sure Notch won't do that, for many reasons them being:

1. Notch is Lazy
    2. It would take a shitton of recoding on his part
    3. Notch is Lazy
    4. Some things returning values before other actions are complete would completely break the game (however this can be solved by Thread Safe Java code. Also, good luck with EDT's Notch!)
    5. Minecraft is not that intensive anyway
    I do believe there would be easy things to put into parallel, IE clouds moving, water moving, monster animations, all happening in 1 thread, etc. But what about hit detection on monsters then variables... oh god they get rewritten... then have to use thread safe... oh god Java save me! :cry:
  9. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    The networking code that updates the client from the server needs to be torn apart and completely rewritten. There is way to much needless world data being sent.
    It should only send what you can see, and only load sections as you get close to them.
    There is no reason to load the data all the way down to the bedrock if you are standing on top of a mountain.
    I am also not sure if Notch's NBT format is a best fit for the way this game works. It seems like this could use a bit of tightening up too.

But hey ... the game has made over $32M so who am I to be overly critical. :)
  10. ShiBDiB

ShiBDiB

Thanks Received:
    Meh i wanna buy this game, but at the same time notch sounds like toady from df.. Keeps adding new features while leaving old ones unfinished and the game engine unstable.
  11. PVTCaboose1337

Thanks Received:
    It very much does, but horizontally. It loads the chunks as you walk, however, vertically I agree with you. Maybe the chuck size should be reduced, I believe right now there are 16x128. If they were 16x16 I could see an increase in efficiency.
  12. Kreij

Thanks Received:
    Buy the game because it is stupid fun, not because of what you've heard about Notch.

That's what I meant, on my pathetic connection I can walk and come to a point where I have to stop and can see the world open all the way down to the bedrock. It's nice for spotting diamond deposits if I don't get disconnected. lol
  13. ShiBDiB

ShiBDiB

Thanks Received:
    Im debating it.. im big into ARMA 2 right now and might go back to eve for a bit first.
  14. FordGT90Concept

Thanks Received:
    Why would you run it under XP Mode?
    Crunching for Team TPU
  15. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    yea i just tried playing it on the zbox which has an atom 330 in it with an nvidia ion2 which plays 1080p x264 rips just fine. there is graphical lag and high cpu load even on the default window size. fail code is fail.
  16. Kreij

Thanks Received:
    The only thing that ARMA 2, EveOnline and Minecraft have in common is that you play them on a computer and an internet connection is required.

The best way I can think of to describe Minecraft is like a 3D Etch-a-Sketch that makes you work for each part of your drawing.
    There is no goal other than building whatever you want.
    On a survival server, they say the goal is to survive. But the only reason to survive is so you can continue building, so that too has no real meaning other than to add a little battle dimension to the game.

If you want hardcore FPS action or deep RTS intrigue then Minecraft is not for you.
    If you want to run around and build crazy stuff for no other reason than that you could ... you may like it.

For me, the building of goofy (or awesome) stuff and the hysterical community chat on the servers make the game a good time without any real stress.

Just my opinion. ;)
  17. Phxprovost

Phxprovost Xtreme Refugee

Thanks Received:
    what netbook is letting you run minecraft? my atom 330 box wont put out more then ~8fps
  18. FordGT90Concept

Thanks Received:
    Spider Collector, 2 Skeleton Collectors, 2 Zombie Collectors, Pig Collector, Spider Fight Club, Zombie Fight Club, and Skeleton Flight Club are all now operational.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  19. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    Well I've had the game for about a month...never really played it until last night. It's freaking awesome! I have no idea how to get started online, but feel I need to learn more offline before venturing into anyone else's world. I'm still learning the ropes, but I have about 2 hours under my belt...it felt like 15 minutes to be honest.
  20. Kreij

Thanks Received:
    You are wrong, Kursah. The best way is to get Newt or Easy to whitelist you on their server and go for it. :D
    No guts no glory. rofl
    Kursah says thanks.
  21. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    Anything with an ION chipset should be able to handle it at the tiny netbook LCD resolution.
    Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  22. Aceman.au

Aceman.au

Thanks Received:
    Ive finished the road to the tree farm on Tekie's server. 5 full inv's of stone slabs. You do the math.
    FordGT90Concept says thanks.
  23. garyinhere

garyinhere

Thanks Received:
    it flagged for compadability issues. It still don't work gotta play via browser which sucks... I bought it for my wife too and installed on her rig and same thing?
  24. PVTCaboose1337

Thanks Received:
    4 x 8 = inventory space = 32

32 x 64 = 2048 stone slabs. At a road of 4 x 2, assuming no hills, that means you went 2048 / 8 blocks in a direction, which means 256 blocks per inventory, a total of 1280 from the origin.
  25. BondExtreme

Thanks Received:
    Is the TPU logo ever going to get fixed? I can help out if need be but recording will be starting in two days....