1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

TPU Minecraft Server

Discussion in 'Games' started by newtekie1, Feb 2, 2011.

1. helloWorld New Member

Thanks Received:
    Getting started on my waterfront property !!!

[​IMG]

2. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    Wow, that's way out west. XD

The east/west tunnel is completely mined out and cobblestone clad now. North/south needs a lot of work yet.

Aquinus says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  3. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    I dropped the Super Hostile Continental style map into the test server to see how it would work and it worked perfectly. So I'll probably make the change to the new map Friday on the real server so everyone can have some fun this weekend.

A few things.

The entire map is surrounded by bedrock, so there is no escaping.
    The map is huge!
    You spawn on a beach, with a wrecked ship just off shore. The idea is that you are ship wrecked.
    If you find a wool chamber with the colored wool in it, take one piece and one piece only, so if you die all the wool isn't lost.
    I'm not sure what to do about warps, I'll probably just disable the plug-in for the time being.
    I will reset the difficulty on the server to easy(trust me, you'll need it).
    Dynmap will be active, so we can see the map.

-KarL-, Aquinus and Chevalr1c say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  4. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    I see! I started to lay down some track and I worked on the north/south bit. I haven't added any accelerators on the track, but I have a decent stash of gold to contribute to that task.

All of that aside and "now for something, completely different!"

5. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    The super hostile map is up and running. Dynmap is currently rendering, the flat map is done, but the angled isn't, so the server might be slightly slow for the next hour or so until it finishes.

I supplied some basic survival gear in the chests at spawn.

I've removed the ability to set the time on the server(this is a survival map, you have to survive the night!)

I've also remove the ability to toggle rain/snow.

Aquinus and Chevalr1c say thanks.
  6. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    Pretty neat. Mobs monsters tear down wooden doors. :<

I made a quick little mini-fort. You can find it where I logged off on dynmap if anyone needs somewhere to go, I already started digging down. I bet its more fun with more people.

7. Chevalr1c

Chevalr1c

Thanks Received:
    I will go to the snowy part.

I died by starving. damn.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2012
    Crunching for Team TPU
  8. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    That is why I started by building closer to spawn. Once I'm geared up I'll go climb the mountain. :p

9. Chevalr1c

Chevalr1c

Thanks Received:
    Try to find the path then, that I have made halfway up the mountain most south of the range (eastern flank). It is lit and has some cobble at the entrance.

Edit: the path is done, and a bridge to the stash of green wool is built. under the double trapdoor at the entrance of the mountain path, there will be a tunnel towards that huge tower (the monument?)

Crunching for Team TPU
  10. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    I wish I could join in, but I just got to the hotel after driving 4 hours after working for 8, and all I have is a laptop with crappy AMD integrated graphics.:(

I'll be around to admin if needed, but I can't play crap. Hope you all have fun!

11. Chevalr1c

Chevalr1c

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]

The best route from the spawn is towards the tower, and if necessary from there over the "bridge" towards the tunnel underneath the forest, which eventually leads to my mountain dugout that acts like entrance to the staircase to the summit (and from there via a bridge to the next summit and the green wool). The hut by the lake is accessible from that tunnel via a trapdoor, after that there are a route over the water (safest) and along the bank (quickest) available to the hut.

BTW, that tower was terrible to conquer. It contained crap-loads of Creepers, skeletons, Endermen in a narrow space (thus lethal Endermen no matter what attitude towards them) and once the regularly spawned Creepers were gone (the tower was unlit) I had to get rid of the others (on a sidenote, it appeared that there was a room with both an Enderman and Skeleton spawner). But it should be safe there now, except for the area near the foot. There is a hut with fishing pond and mini-wheat field though, that I placed there. Please do not cut the trees that have their trunks grown together if you don't absolutely have to, it is considered a barrier and an emergency source for saplings (by destroying the leaves) in case getting to the swamps is to dangerous.

Crunching for Team TPU
  12. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    dynmap broke again. :<

13. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    Fixed again.

Aquinus says thanks.
  14. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    So how are we enjoying the map? Is it fun, boring? I haven't heard any feedback, have we found any wool?

15. -KarL-

Thanks Received:
    I was hoping to try it out last weekend but my free time keeps disappearing....

Crunching for Team TPU
  16. Chevalr1c

Chevalr1c

Thanks Received:
    Please read this post:

Additionally, the hut in the high trees is connected to the tower base as well now. From there you can go down via a ladder shaft hung in between the branches and eventually you will be able to get into a tunnel that leads to another small base in the dessert (see dynmap). A route from the last mentioned location to the potential wool locations in the western part of the map (see screenshot in the quote above) will be made.

P.S.: the entrance into the tunnel going west is inside the hut in the base near the tower.

Crunching for Team TPU
  17. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    I did read it, I meant anything new after that, and by find any wool, I really meant found any wool and placed it in the victory monument.

Also, the victory monument is the top most thing you circled with a question mark.

But the main question is is this map enjoyable? Interesting? Or boring?

18. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    Boring. Except for pre-made labryinths, there is nothing different from any other map. I'd rather play other games. :p

Crunching for Team TPU
  19. Chevalr1c

Chevalr1c

Thanks Received:
    Boring. It is a real pain in the backside to make safe connections between the various points of interest, let alone transport all that wool to the victory monument.

Crunching for Team TPU
  20. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    Might be the point, to make it hard. It's nothing all that special, but it does spawn a lot more mobs. I'm not overly impressed by it though.

21. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    Originally this is a single player hardcore map, it has been modified for the server to work on easy. Being hard is where the fun is supposed to be.

If it is boring we can switch to something different, either back to the our map or to some other challenge type map.

22. Silverel

Silverel New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ah I wasn't impressed with it. Even a little connection lag means I'm pulling arrows out of my ass, and the packs of spiders murdered me a couple times in spawn before I punched em all to death. Challenge maps just work better on a local system, imo.

Chevalr1c says thanks.
  23. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    I don't know, the castle I built has walls tall enough to keep spiders out and a trap entrance for dumb mobs. Honestly, I do like survival when it is a little harder. It makes you work harder and think up crazy ways of doing things just to get something done without dying.

24. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    i lke the idea of a tougher world to survive in, with more mobs to fight (and ones that actually try and breach your defenses)

i've caved in and tried a pirated version and i like it, so i intend to buy the game soon and join you guys.

basically i find the game gets boring without a common goal to join into - and as a minecraft noob, playing solo gets boring fast (i dont know how to DO any of the fancy stuff - such as wtf is an iron golem?)

anywho, hows the survival map thing working out for you guys?

25. Chevalr1c

Chevalr1c

Thanks Received:
    We actually always play in survival mode, only on our regular maps things get "civilised" a bit in our build-up areas. Hence the challenge map we are playing now. BTW, don't enter the basement of the pyramid on the current map. It's a death trap full of zombies and silverfish.

@Mussels: www.minecraftwiki.net for all your answers.

Crunching for Team TPU