1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

TPU Motherboard reviews

Discussion in 'Comments & Feedback' started by (FIH) The Don, Nov 11, 2010.

?

Should TPU do Motherboard reviews again?

1. Yes

44 vote(s)
    93.6%
  2. No

3 vote(s)
    6.4%
  1. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    +1 and a half.

:laugh:

;)

2. Paulieg

Paulieg The Mad Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    It's important for people to understand how involved a good review actually is. There are so many details. I've had to turn down two opportunities to do reviews just because I understood that I was way too busy to do them right, despite knowing dozens of boards inside out. It's not just having the knowledge, it's conveying the knowledge in words and pictures in a way that makes people want to read. Way more work goes into every aspect of the review than you might think. It's a significant commitment.

3. 3volvedcombat

3volvedcombat New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thats the point i was trying to show in a better light to about a dozen people.

Its allot of work, The time spent in reviews, is the time comparable to that of a project at a university.

But in a simplistic way.

4. TeXBill

TeXBill

Thanks Received:
    This tells me you have no idea what people are able to do. You need to understand computers, how they work and why they do what they do when you hit a key on your keyboard. Maybe then you can learn how to use spell check.:eek:

:roll::D:roll:

5. mlee49

mlee49

Thanks Received:
    I would love to review power supplies, but I dont have the proper equipment to give them a worthy review. You'd need more than a oscilloscope and a multimeter to yield an accurate review of a power supply.

Motherboards are take too much time and dont have the return on investment as other goodies. I just wish W1zzard would do a giveaway from all the old graphics cards he has sitting in his box. Maybe could envoke some community or raise some money for GPU-Z. :)

6. LAN_deRf_HA

LAN_deRf_HA

Thanks Received:
    I' love to see fan reviews. I was working on a rig for it and doing some preliminary writeups until I saw how expensive 20db or less sound meters cost, like thousands of dollars.

Motherboards I could take it or leave it. There's plenty of sites that review them.

7. Hayder_Master

Hayder_Master

Thanks Received:
    i which i near from u guys, cuz i want to say all my stuff at your service
    but im glad to see guys here doing same, thanx guys to help our reviews, this site is for u guys and i proud all of you.

8. dr emulator (madmax)

dr emulator (madmax)

Thanks Received:
    i agree and would also add the reviewer needs good english skills ,punctuation, spelling, as it's no good having a top notch review that your scratching your head and confused.gif about

also i feel that sometimes alot of these trolls.gif , slip in to the comments, so maybe the reviews would be best without direct comments being allowed, and maybe a rating system would be better,

just my 2 cents worth:wtf:

9. LAN_deRf_HA

LAN_deRf_HA

Thanks Received:
    You know, people can still troll the review ratings. Or did you mean rating system for commenters...

10. Aleksander

Thanks Received:
  11. InnocentCriminal

InnocentCriminal Resident Grammar Amender

Thanks Received:
    No offence to the people putting themselves forward but most, if not all of the comments so far have had appalling English. Nothing turns me off a review quicker than someone who can't string a sentence together, doesn't matter if you're mutts-nutts when it comes to selected products, if you can't convey your enthusiasm and knowledges professionally then don't even bother!

In fact we should have users review their own boards in much the same style as the previous TPU reviews and at the end of all the submissions, W1zz and staff can choose a trial candidate.

I'd suggest only entering if you have the available time and resources - no point getting a submission in only t'say you've got college on Monday through to Friday and you only have a Sunday to your homework as you're out partying on Saturday.

EDIT: Very much like the one in Aleksander's post.

12. LAN_deRf_HA

LAN_deRf_HA

Thanks Received:
    The English issue isn't as clear cut as it may seem. Obviously there's people who type like they're drunk or something, but then there's many that just aren't trying. I'm a writer for instance, but I don't give that away at all in forum posts. It's like a wax on wax off thing.

13. InnocentCriminal

Thanks Received:
    Oh definitely! There is a huge difference between forum posting (as in not really taking any care in how you present your posts) and writing something informative and enjoyable. Then there are people that don't have English as there first language... this sort of thing can be amended by the editor etc etc.

I'd love to be able to do reviews (not just on motherboards) but I simply don't have enough time to dedicate myself let alone the knowledge and resources. Even though I strive to better my English I'm still pretty shite at it, even after 25 years.

14. W1zzard

W1zzard Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    if you have outstanding tech and photo skills i have no problem fixing some broken english

15. roast

roast

Thanks Received:
    I'd definitely like to see more mobo reviews. TPU has a decent enough reviewing protocol for GPU's and other hardware, and I think that could transition well for mobos.

I quite enjoy windwithme's reviews, I reckon he would be up to the task. Maybe w1z can have a look?

16. (FIH) The Don

(FIH) The Don

Thanks Received:
    linkfix

17. InnocentCriminal

Thanks Received:
    He does a lot of stuff over at XS.

18. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Windwithme actually posts his reviews here, and on several other forums as well.

I'll say this:

If you aren't setting all of the timings for your ram manually, you have no business reviewing motherboards. All of the timings. Probably 90% of current motherboard reviewers just set primaries, but not secondaries. Setting memory up manually is nessecary to make an accurate performance compare, while eliminating variables that might affect that performance, IMHO. And don't use cheap ram, either...you don't want your testing equipment affecting your test results.

I have already bought a brand new motherboard, took 10 days, and submitted a review to W1zz. So if you are serious, don't dawdle on this.

I didn't work on my review every day. The way I look at it, you should be able to do a good review within 3-4 days.

I really want to do this, but at the the same time, I want TPU to get the best person for the job, and while i think I am that person, I may be a bit biased.

So get those reviews in guys...I think I might have set the bar a bit high for you.

:laugh:

:toast:

19. InnocentCriminal

Thanks Received:
    I know he does.

20. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    We're close to selecting a motherboard reviewer. That reviewer will settle down and get a hang of reviews in December, then from 7th January on, will review a new LGA1155 motherboard every day. His room will become his gulag.

21. InnocentCriminal

Thanks Received:
    So does that mean there isn't any point in people sending in submissions?

22. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    No, please keep sending them in. We're close to, and not finalized in selecting a reviewer.

23. [I.R.A]_FBi

[I.R.A]_FBi New Member

Thanks Received:
    so just test one from each chipset

24. wahdangun

wahdangun New Member

Thanks Received:
    yeah i really want to see motherboard review on TPU especially the budget one :p