1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

TPU-R-US Cruncher

Discussion in 'World Community Grid (WCG)' started by stinger608, Feb 19, 2012.

1. stinger608

stinger608 Dedicated TPU Cruncher & Folder

Thanks Received:
    This probably should have been put in the hardware section of the site, however I was more wanting to share with all my fellow TPU World Community Grid Crunchers. This first post I am going to show everyone the parts that just showed up. I am probably going to reserve the second and third post for the build and the screen shots and pictures of the system up and running.

This build consists of a i7 2700K, Gigabyte Z68 motherboard, 16GB of DDR3, and a 300GB Western Digital Velociraptor and 32gb SSD for a cache drive.

Before I begin showing the parts involved I first want to thank several people and the companies that has made this awesome build possible.

(1) First I want to give a very special thanks to our own ChaoticG8R! For without this awesome member this build would not have seen the light of day for a few more weeks!!! Thanks a million my friend.:rockout: ChaoticG8R provided the Intel 2700K and the dual PNY XLR8 10 memory chip black PCB GTX465’s!!!

(2) Now I want to thank our own TexBill for providing a smoking deal on a Swiftech Apogee XL socket 1155 waterblock! TexBill is an awesome seller/trader on our forums, and without his smoking deal on the block I would have been forced to air cool this system.

(3) Next I want to thank Sedah over at the EVGA forums for providing an awesome deal on a retail packaged Western Digital 300GB 10,000rpm Velociraptor. This great deal will allow this system to execute applications and programs much faster than a standard 7,200rpm drive.

(4) I want to also thank a local Craigslist fella, Darrell, for providing a crazy smoking deal on a Patriot Torqx2 32GB SSD for use as a cache drive using the Intel Smart Response Technology (SRT).

(5) Last but not least I want to give a big thanks to NewEgg for always being a great retailer online. NewEgg provided great deals on the motherboard, memory, and Asus DVD-RW drive.

I would also like to take a minute to thank Asus, Gigabyte, Intel, AMD/ATI, G.Skill, Western Digital, Cooler Master, Swiftech, Patriot, PNY, Nvidia, Ultra, and all the rest of the awesome manufactures that give us these great products to allow us to build our dream machines and help with the fight for diseases!

Now for the pictures. I will be listing the pictures in the order that I thanked everyone.

First up is the awesome Intel i7 2700K processor and the dual PNY XLR8 GTX465’s provided by our own ChaoticG8R!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This next shot is the Swiftech Apogee XL provided by our own awesome seller/trader, TexBill!

[​IMG]

This next picture is the Western Digital 300GB Velociraptor provided by Sedah over at EVGA forums. Sedah is a great seller/trader at their site.

[​IMG]

Now I have a picture of this small 32gb SSD drive that was provided for an unheard of price from a local Craigslist user. Darrell shot me a smoking deal on this Patriot Torqx2 drive.

[​IMG]

Finally I want to show the pictures of the motherboard, ram, and DVD-RW drive that was all great deals from the infamous NewEgg! Thanks Egg!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In conclusion to this first post, I again want to thank ChaoticG8R, TexBill, Sedah, Darrell, and NewEgg! Without all of you this build would not have been possible!!!!

Now it’s on to the pictures of the build and the next post in this thread.

Crunching for Team TPU 10 Million points folded for TPU
  2. stinger608

Thanks Received:
    Well the build has commenced!

Took a little short break from the build and figured I would add the start of the pictures for your enjoyment. :rockout:

First up is the Cooler Master HAF 932 AMD Limited Edition case. I had a liquid cooled system in this case already, the Crosshair IV Extreme to be exact, so I am using everything in that loop with the exception of the waterblock.

[​IMG]

Now a picture of the raw Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3.

[​IMG]

Now the board with the awesome Intel i7 2700K chip installed.

[​IMG]

Up next we see the Swiftech Apogee XL installed!

[​IMG]

And now a shot with the 16gb's of G.Skill DDR3 1600 RipJawX's installed.

[​IMG]

Well, so far it is coming along quite well. Now it is time to install the motherboard in the case and get the dang loop hoked up and filled. I have taken the onboard battery out of the motherboard for the time being. Even though I do have non-conductive fluid for the loop I do not want to take a chance of shorting the board out when I do the leak test on the loop.

So far it is pretty sexy; right? :p

Okay everyone, now I have some pictures of the board inside the case, loop hooked up, and loop leak testing and purging the air out of it!!!

Motherboard installed in the case

[​IMG]

Loop hooked up to the waterblock but still needing to fill the system and fire the water pump up.

[​IMG]

:rockout: Now the air purging and leak testing has commenced!!!! So far so good and it has been about 30 minutes as of posting this portion of the build! No drips, no runs, no errors. :laugh:

[​IMG]

Stay tuned my TPU Crunching friends, more to come! Once I am confident all the air is out and there is no leaks I will finish this awesome system and get it fired up!!!

See ya soon
    Dano

Okay then, while it was leak testing and purging I figured I might as well start getting some things installed.

first up is the awesome Western Digital Velociraptor.

[​IMG]

Now thanks to an idea from SneekyPeet on the ghetto mounting for the SSD (thanks a ton Peet!!!!), a couple of shots of that drive. Notice the second one with the ghetto mounting. :laugh:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I figured a couple of shots of the Ultra 1000 watt power supply was in order.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And last on this update, were getting wired!!!:roll:

[​IMG]

Again, stay tuned for the final build pictures on this system!!!:rockout:

Well, it is complete and ready to plug in and see if this puppy fires up. One bummer that I just had was opening the second GTX465 up and finding the blue PCB and only 8 memory chips. :( and that frigging blue PCB just doesn't go with the color scheme at all. I guess I will go on a hunt for a black PCB PNY XLR8 card!

Picture with the video cards installed! I know the frigging wire management is terrible LOL. That will be taken care of once I know this system runs fine. :laugh:

[​IMG]

Now it is on to getting this system running and installing Windows and WCG to this puppy crunching!!!

Last edited: Feb 19, 2012
  3. stinger608

Thanks Received:
    And now on to some shots of the system running!!

Here is a shot of Core Temp to show current temps and CPU frequency.

Currently running at 4.522ghz:rockout::rockout::rockout:

[​IMG]

And now another shot of WCG running the 8 threads:toast::toast::toast:

[​IMG]

God I got to get rid of that default Windows desktop. :laugh:

Okay, this is much better:toast::toast::toast:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 20, 2012
  4. JrRacinFan

JrRacinFan Served 5k and counting ...

Thanks Received:
    Subscribed! Ready to see your 2700k take off.

stinger608 says thanks.
  5. ThE_MaD_ShOt

ThE_MaD_ShOt

Thanks Received:
    Can't wait to see this build in action.

stinger608 says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  6. stinger608

Thanks Received:
    Thanks guys!

Second post has been updated with the first of the build pictures. :rockout:

7. Radical_Edward

Radical_Edward

Thanks Received:
    This thread = Awesome. That is all.

:rockout:

stinger608 says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  8. stinger608

Thanks Received:

Thanks Edward!!!!!

The second post has been updated with the pictures of the board installed, the loop hooked up, and the system filled, leak testing, and purging the air out of the system. :toast:

9. stinger608

Thanks Received:
    Crap! Don't mean to double post, but I just ran into a snag on this build. The original HAF 932's do not come with a damn 2.5" adapter for the hard drive bays! LOL Now I am most likely going to have to ghetto something to mount the SSD drive.

Any ideas?

10. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    if you aren't planning to move the case, just set it in anywhere. If you do plan to move it, maybe velcro or foam tape to stick it somewhere. (There isn't a plate in the Torqx box?)

mjkmike and stinger608 say thanks.
  11. mjkmike

mjkmike

Thanks Received:
    Nice build Stinger. I on the other hand find myself tak'ng rigs apart. Looks like I have june untill my next build.:cry:

Should do 6,500 ppd with a overclock of 4.5.

JrRacinFan and stinger608 say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  12. ThE_MaD_ShOt

ThE_MaD_ShOt

Thanks Received:
    Nice progress.

stinger608 says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  13. stinger608

Thanks Received:
    Awesome idea Peet!!!!! Yea the drive didn't include a plate. But none the less your Velcro idea worked perfect my friend!!! Didn't even think about that LOL.

:eek: Really??? You think it will produce 6,500 ppd per day? That is frigging awesome. Hell with my other two I am hitting about 3,500 a day. That would stick me upwards of 10,000 a day!!!! :rockout:

Oh and the second post has been updated with some more pictures of the progress of this build.

Next up is going to be the video cards. After that it is time......................To install Windows and get this baby crunching.........I hope:laugh:

mjkmike says thanks.
  14. stinger608

Thanks Received:
    Well as soon as I get the "bugs" worked out I will post the pics in post 3. As of right now, I have WCG running on the system and I am posting from that system now!!!

The current problem is with an error that is stating "install IRST 10.5 or above." I think I have that figured out, and will get it taken care of shortly.

Now the only other thing that is quite annoying is that it takes more time than I figure it should to boot to Windows. I get the loading screen, and then it goes black with the mouse cursor. It sits there for about 45 seconds or so before actually booting to Windows? Not sure what the hell that is about.

mjkmike says thanks.
  15. stinger608

Thanks Received:
    third post updated to show first screen shot running at 4.522ghz!!! Frigging awesome!!!!!!!!

16. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    NICE!!! how is that board with OCing? I had a chance to pickup one for a good price a while back but flaked. Im guessing I passed up a good deal LOL

Crunching for Team TPU
  17. ChaoticG8R

Thanks Received:
    What was the max multi on that 2700k btw?

Crunching for Team TPU
  18. stinger608

Thanks Received:
    So far I have only hit 44. That of course was without any voltage jump.

19. 4x4n

4x4n Xtreme Refugee

Thanks Received:
    Looks great stinger. :toast:

My 2600k at 4.5 averages 62-6500 a day, so you should be right around that.

Do you just have your voltage set to auto? Because on auto it will usually boost the voltage higher than what you really need.

mjkmike says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  20. Chicken Patty

Chicken Patty WCG Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Came into this party way late but wanted to just chime in and say that the system looks in great shape. :) You'll love it and glad to see more and more people helping out! :rockout:

stinger608 says thanks.
  21. stinger608

Thanks Received:
    Ya know it might be. I will have to check that. Also that would possibly have caused a BSOD that I Had last night.

22. brandonwh64

Thanks Received:
    I got a BSOD last night on my 2600K, It was stop code x50? It happened right as I unmounted a image of windows XP X64 I was installing on VMware

Crunching for Team TPU
  23. Chicken Patty

Thanks Received:
    SB is definitely puzzling when it comes to BSOD's.

24. brandonwh64

Thanks Received:
    Yea, It is quite odd! The other day I was testing 4.5ghz and it passed a series of torture tests but decided to BSOD x124 after being idle for 10 minutes after those test passed with flying colors WTF!

Crunching for Team TPU
  25. Chicken Patty

Thanks Received:
    KieX linked me to an article about that, it actually happens when idle and not load. I'm at work but I'll see if I can dig it up. It's over at OCN, the guide. Explains how to get rid of that.

stinger608 says thanks.