1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

TPU WCG/F@H Contest

Discussion in 'World Community Grid (WCG)' started by BUCK NASTY, Oct 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Duxx Guest

How much will a 8800gts 512 pump out at stock? :)

2. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    So do I have to start all over again with folding or can I use my current name / points?

3. BUCK NASTY

BUCK NASTY F@H Mod & 4P Enthusiust Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    With a healthy overclock, you can get 6777 ppd with a 353pt WU

You can use your current name. Just type it into the client"exactly" how it is spelled in the stats.

Chicken Patty says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  4. lemonadesoda

lemonadesoda

Thanks Received:
    If you want to attract TPU members who arent folders to fold... then you need a HOW TO (or link) in post#1. You also need to encourage low spec people into the wagon, so perhaps a lower target... they can WIN but they WONT RECEIVE the prize UNTIL they get whatever points you demand. If there are TPU members with lower spec equipment... they probably wont even try... which defeats the point of giving/prizing them better equipment.

If you just want to get TPU members who are already folders to swap teams for a few weeks then, probably, switch back... then the contest works. But is that the aim?

5. donmarkoni New Member

Thanks Received:
    :respect:
    Rule no.3 should be enough for everybody to decide should they participate, but IMO there could be people cheating. :( I score 100k in less then 5 days on main rig, but could downclock GPUs (and run just one) and run on 2 or 3 CPU cores, scoring 105k-110k in 60 days. All applies to both projects, but I just fold, so talking about it. Should be the same I guess.
    Maybe it would be a good idea to change rules: people keep their folding names, so you can track their previous results, but change team for 60 days and make a contribution and perhaps win a computer. Of course, I could make a new username, but one of the rules could be that someone had to be folding for at least 2 weeks before (some date) You even got the idea of this contest.
    So, I won't participate.
    GOOD LUCK TO EVERYBODY! :)

BTW, my sig is old and I can't change it because of "Our spam fighting policy does not allow users with a low post count to have signatures."
    My new sig: DFI UT X58, i7 920 @ 4.2GHz, Geil 1600MHz @ 7-8-7-20-1T, 2x XFX GTX280 1GB @ 702/1512/2592

6. Paulieg

Paulieg The Mad Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    OK, there are going to be a million suggestions on how to make things better. We will certainly take these things into account when we do another competition. However, this contest is sponsored by a few dedicated crunchers and folders, and this is how we decided to do the contest this time around. There are always trade offs when you do things like this. Do we look to get more people crunching, or do we try to get the people who are already crunching/folding, to crunch/fold harder? They are both great goals, but they are typically mutually exclusive. As I saw from the crunching contest we ran before, we seemed to have better luck motivated those who crunched, but were not very active rather than attracting a ton of new people.

Chicken Patty says thanks.
  7. DanTheBanjoman SeƱor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Can't use it, powercable won't fit.

8. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    hm. I can do 100k points in one month with my single 9600gso. You would need 3333 PPD to pull it off and my 9600gso pulls 4000-4400 depending on the WU. Now, 60k BOINC points... I barely scrape 1000PPD average. I mean I'm right around that mark.

Crunching for Team TPU
  9. oily_17

oily_17

Thanks Received:
    Maybe someone who is out of the running, might help you out to reach the total points required, if you are very close to it.

10. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    I'd rather do it myself. I'm one of those people who hate when I get helped with something I could have done myself.

Quick question though... I ditched the WCG manager (http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/reg/ms/viewDownloadAgain.do) for the 64-bit BOINC client (http://boinc.berkeley.edu/download_all.php second one down in the "Windows 64-bit" row). I figure since it's running in 64-bit mode now instead of 32-bit mode I should be able to garner a bit more points (thus doing a bit more work). I am still working for the WCG project under the same login I used with the old WCG manager, so I'm still working for team TPU. Would this put me out of the running since I'm no longer using the WCG manager most other people use?

Crunching for Team TPU
  11. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    No I run the same 64bit client, as long as you are still under TPU team number you are fine. Enjoy the 64 bit point boost :rockout:

hat says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  12. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    :rockout: I should be able to do 60k now! Well, I probably could have before, but it would probably end up depending on how much my mother runs that machine with the 3000+ in it.

Just for kicks, I enlisted my 750MHz P3 again. It takes like 18h to finish a work unit though...

theonedub says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  13. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    Keep on Crunching.

Crunching for Team TPU
  14. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    Of course! I enjoy it far too much to be able to quit :rockout:

Crunching for Team TPU
  15. Chicken Patty

Chicken Patty WCG Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    guys all three rigs had about 20 minutes or so of downtime today, but it was for the best.

Swapped coolers on both S775 rigs. THe Zalman is now on the QX at stock, the C2D has a stock cooler. THe Evercool Transformer 4 is now on the i7 crunching along at 4GHz. Much better than stock heh? :)

[Ion] says thanks.
  16. thebluebumblebee

thebluebumblebee

Thanks Received:
    So I asked about points with certain CPU's and was pointed to that chart. I have had a client up since the 11th and my local client shows 1000 points, but the results at WCG show as 6288 points. What gives?

17. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    WCG "credits" are 7x BOINC points. So, for example, I have a little over a million WCG credits, but only a little over 150k BOINC points.

thebluebumblebee says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  18. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    My laptop should push me over 1k ppd. I can't run it at 100% because my processor hits 80*c... that's a bit much IMO. I run it at 65% most of the ime, that way it stays around 73*c. That's still a little over 1GHz of Conroe-L power though... better than my Pentium 3 that's for damn sure :laugh:

Crunching for Team TPU
  19. p_o_s_pc

p_o_s_pc F@H&WCG addict

Thanks Received:
    since i can get the points needed in folding in about 10 days and 20-30days crunching points i'm out :(

Crunching for Team TPU
  20. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    I'm not even entering, it would take me about 5 months to get the F@H points (although I could get the WCG points in about a month)

EDIT: Due to the extreme generosity of p_o_s_pc who has agreed to help me along with his 8800GTS until the contest ends, I am entering the contest. Sign me up please Buck Nasty :toast:

Last edited: Oct 17, 2009
    Crunching for Team TPU
  21. thebluebumblebee

thebluebumblebee

Thanks Received:
    Your name doesn't seem to fit anymore.:D

p_o_s_pc says thanks.
  22. p_o_s_pc

p_o_s_pc F@H&WCG addict

Thanks Received:
    :laugh: thanks (i think thats a complement) :toast:

BTW i believe ion is in this contest now
    i would say about 5.5k-6k

Last edited: Oct 17, 2009
    Crunching for Team TPU
  23. Breit

Breit

Thanks Received:
    just out of curiosity, how do you link the stats between the two projects to the user accounts here in the forums? i'm asking this because i crunch for wcg under a different user name than i fold for fah and i'm sure this is a more or less common situation.

24. Nosada

Nosada

Thanks Received:
    I'm in, though I'm not sure I'll be able to get the required points in time. Can't hurt to try though :)

Your contest is already having a positive effect btw: my brother was too lazy to set up his machine for folding/crunching, but this helped him over the line. Same for my wife, she's not too fond of the humming 3 pc's and a PS3 produce when we're sleeping, but since it's for a contest, I get free reign for 60 days.

Good luck to everyone who is going for it!

BUCK NASTY and [Ion] say thanks.
  25. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    Thanks! Good luck to you too! I wish I could convince my parents to let me run everything flat out for the next 2 months. The E6550 would then be on another 10 hours or so a day, and I wouldn't ever turn off the Q9400 (it does about 2.5x the points of the E6550, despite that it uses about the same amount of electricity :D)

Crunching for Team TPU