1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

TPU's AMD APU Owners Club

Discussion in 'techPowerUp! Club Forum' started by Durvelle27, Jun 29, 2013.

1. Medallish

Thanks Received:
    Had to update my profile, appearently the last time I did I was still rocking a Phenom II. Anyway my main PC with the FX-8350 is currently down as I'm building watercooling on it, but I recently made this nice little substitute:

GPU-Z
    http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/6s6qq/

CPU-Z
    http://valid.canardpc.com/lc0jbh
    [​IMG]
    And here we have the screenshot, I had to use Teamviewer as I'm not home at this moment, hence why you see the onscreen keyboard, appearently there's no screenshot method in Teamviewer.

Everything packed into a nice Lian-Li PC-TU200B case, the APU is capable of running full speed, but for the sake of keeping temperatures slightly down I changed the cTDP to 65W, since I'm mainly playing BF4 on it with Mantle I haven't noticed much, if any hit on performance. All the specs are in my "system spec" on my profile :).

2. _JP_

_JP_

Thanks Received:
    For some reason, in that board, the TPM header is where the USB 3.0 header should be and vice-versa.
    Overall, nice layout. And staying in Gigabyte tradition, low amount of fan headers (especially 4-pin) on AMD boards.
    Those VRMs could use a heatsink...but then again, it's not an OC-tought board...

3. emissary42

Thanks Received:
    A mosfet cooler would have been nice, but i am quite happy that it at least had a cooler on the chipset in place. It is not unheard of, that boards like this get send out completely naked *G*

Also the mosfets don't get too hot on stock settings. It probably helps, the cpu cooler provides plenty of airflow for them.

4. _JP_

_JP_

Thanks Received:
    Yes, like I said, that board wasn't thought for OC'ing, so for non-K APUs it should do just fine without the VRM heatsink.
    Mine has it, but I'm not using the stock cooler. Still, I have plenty of fans shoving air around that area. Haven't spotted throttling under load so far. Let's see if it stays this way by the time summer is here.

5. _JP_

_JP_

Thanks Received:
    Summer's here! And high temps too! So I underclocked my chip.
    And while doing so I found out something interesting (that I had never experienced before or read about it). If I set the multi below 34x, Windows will "forget" about lowering clocks to idle values (C'n'Q enabled). (YMMV)
    The options in the "Power Options" advanced menu will simply disappear, for all profiles.
    I noticed this because temps weren't dropping while the computer was doing nothing and CPU-Z/HWiNFO pretty much confirmed my assumptions, clocks weren't going down. (Although CPU-Z reported Vcore drops, HWiNFO didn't)
    I had underclocked, initially, to 3.2GHz.
    I tried to reset C'n'Q, along with reboots, further underclocking down to 3GHz (+Vcore adjustments), editing the registry...nothing. Until I found, in the tubes, someone that mentioned his/hers OS reacted the same way if the multi on his/hers PII x4 was set above a certain value (don't recall how much). So I thought about setting mine close to stock and see what happened. 34x worked.
    Afterwards I tried to investigate this further and found out that one of the P-states (P1, in fact) is set at 3.2GHz (should have checked this first). This might have had something to do with it. I assume Windows might have misinterpreted UEFI readings and considered it to be a conflict. I guess the resolution was to disable/ignore idle clocks/P-states, for safety maybe.

Current settings: 3.4GHz @ 1.2875v.

6. agent00skid

Thanks Received:
    3,4GHz@1,2875v? :O

I have gotten an A10-7850K since I last posted anything here. And a Athlon 5350 too. :D
    The A10-7850K has been a bit of a difficult thing, but I think I've gotten it to a fairly good point. Now I''m just waiting for cooler weather to make some more serious overclocking.

Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  7. Lightbulbie

Lightbulbie

Thanks Received:
    Does a A6-3420m count as being in the club?

8. _JP_

_JP_

Thanks Received:
    What's wrong? I'm just trying to reduce the heat. With the room hitting 30ºC it's hard to keep this think under limits.
    Xigmatek states the sd963 is rated at 130W, but it seems it would need the 2nd fan, which I don't have. (also, there must be some contact issues or something... :\ )

Neat. How's that HSA working out for you?

If it looks like an APU, walks like an APU and quacks like an APU...

Last edited: Jun 22, 2014
    Lightbulbie says thanks.
  9. Lightbulbie

Lightbulbie

Thanks Received:
    So is it bad that I was able to OC my 3420m to 2.4ghz and keep it stable at 1.3v?

10. agent00skid

Thanks Received:
    It just seems like a high voltage for that speed.

Haven't really tested anything that uses it.

_JP_ says thanks.
  11. _JP_

_JP_

Thanks Received:
    It is a bit, not that much. But I changed the multi 1st and was going for vcore next, if I hadn't bumped into that odd discovery.
    I gave it just a small cut, from what I had at 4GHz. I was also busy with work, so didn't have the time to tweak it right.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2014
  12. agent00skid

Thanks Received:
    My A6-3500 did 2,4GHz at 1,1v... That was good times. :D

Also going to post some more from my A10-7850K after the current round of stability testing.

13. _JP_

_JP_

Thanks Received:
    Well, according to the details of mine, one of the p-states is 2.4GHz at 1.08v. Not sure how much time it stays at that spot, but I haven't got instabilities to report.

14. agent00skid

Thanks Received:
    There's a bit of a difference between Llano and Trinity. But low voltage is always nice. :D

My A10-7850K runs 4,2GHz@1,325v. The jump to 4,3GHz does unfortunately require at least 1,375v :(. Haven't tested it enough to be entirely sure that it's stable, but it seems to be.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2014
  15. _JP_

_JP_

Thanks Received:
    True and also true.
    (I missed the part where that was a Llano)

16. agent00skid

Thanks Received:
    The current settings on my desktop machine.

[​IMG]

_JP_ says thanks.
  17. Durvelle27

Durvelle27

Thanks Received:
    How its hanging

18. agent00skid

Thanks Received:
    After some more testing of clocks and voltages, I think I'm going to leave my A10-7850K at 4,2GHz CPU and 800MHz iGPU plus 1,8GHz NB.
    I don't know why, but the iGPU and NB just don't want to overclock much. The iGPU of my last APU was just as hopeless. Seems I get all the bad iGPUs. :(

Finally have clock and voltage control on my Athlon 5350 though, so am doing some testing on that. Don't have Windows on it though, so can't really bench much.

19. SirSempy6

Thanks Received:
    Hey guys, got me a Sempron 2650 AM1 APU, runs all my 1080p videos and some light gaming here and there :)

sirsempy1.png sirsempy2.png