1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

TPU's F@H Team

Discussion in 'Folding@Home' started by W2hCYK, Jun 10, 2006.

1. Alec§taar New Member

Thanks Received:
    Someone who's going to find NewTekie1 and teach hi
    Only 169 points behind you...

3 W2hCYK 7560 48
    4 AlecStaar 7391 80

(I'll catch you by next week... & pass you by next update!)

:)

* You'd best get multiple rigs running there vs. my single one... or that IS going to happen!

APK

P.S.=> And, Steevo? Forget it about catching him, he runs 15 systems or more...

My single DualCore system can't compete w/ folks running farms of them in those amounts!

(Though you & K3Flyer? You 2, I can catch in time & pass because you two aren't running 15 rigs like Steevo is showing - but somewhere between 2-6 of them each)...

You guys started out 1-3 weeks ahead of me, so it is only a matter of time... I'll catch you & pass you imo, unless you kick up your multiple rigs vs. mine... apk
    calvary1980 says thanks.
  2. W2hCYK New Member

Thanks Received:
    bah! noo!!! My laptop has been in standby for the past 2 days! NOOOO WASTED TIME!!!

I need to make up for this. No wonder why i wasnt putting out WU's faster.

I'm about to turn my P4 desktop into a system that runs a 1.6GHz Dothan. :)

Overclock that to 2.4GHz and WOO!!!!! I cant wait to see the preformance this thing will put out. Then I will give my sister the 2.8GHz @ 3.36, and then the northwood I have will be idle. :-(

if anybody has a slot1 PIII and a PCI graphics card they would like to donate to get a folding system started, please let me know! I'll pay shipping.
    calvary1980 says thanks.
  3. Alec§taar New Member

Thanks Received:
    Heh, you KNOW I know that feeling man!

Heck - you are the one who 'tuned me into' the overclock being adverse potentially to F@H console mode app use (via the -forceasm switch I use. I started out using it to NO detrimental effect, until I "radically" overclocked that is).

So far though, since I "stepped down" my o/c a notch & did some memory adjustments per Ketxxx & POGE's advice (voltages, LDT/HyperTransport Frequency, & memory timing chain stuff)? All good!

When I put out that "20 units in 1 day" (which is what it showed when I took a peek)? I was like:

"There is NO way I can do that, I don't have machine enough, o/c or not! Something is wrong"

& it surely was... lol, blew my "score" credit to heck!

APK

P.S.=> The O/C is helping some though I think... but, not absolutely sure!

QUESTION:

Does overclocking help the processing speed of F@H, in your opinions? I would say it would, IF you can get your memory speed up near its rated performance (or, exceed it, if you have really GOOD ram for o/c'ing)... sense says it would, but I have NO "concrete data" either! Only theory/speculation... apk
    calvary1980 says thanks.
  4. i_am_mustang_man New Member

Thanks Received:
    i am just starting work at a computer lab with over 75 pcs and macs and i want to get f@h running there

i would pwn everyone in the world, i just need my admin's permissions....
    calvary1980 says thanks.
  5. Alec§taar New Member

Thanks Received:
    No doubt!

* You get that # of systems going on this? You'll be #1 in NO time on the team here imo...

AGAIN, QUESTION:

Does overclocking help the processing speed of F@H, in your opinions?

I would say it would, IF you can get your memory speed up near its rated performance (or, exceed it, if you have really GOOD ram for o/c'ing)...

Sense says it would, but I have NO "concrete data" either! Only theory/speculation...

Thoughts?

APK

P.S.=> On a "light-hearted" competitive note: You 2 specifically ("W" & yourself), have been the "thorns in my side" on rising up the charts, lol... you've taken a "break" it appears, the last 2 weeks or so, imo, but you were VERY hard to pass!

Anyhow/anyways - Kudos!

(As you've BOTH proven extremely hard to pass by & have made it fun & interesting for me the most (I love competition, & the team overall gains by it imo @ least))... apk
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2006
    calvary1980 says thanks.
  6. Dippyskoodlez New Member

Thanks Received:

trust me, thats a spec compared to some of the uber folders out there.. *cough* overclockers.com*cough*

I wanna get all 400 of our schools macs folding.. *starts working on sneaking it into the disk image...* ;)
    calvary1980 says thanks.
  7. Alec§taar New Member

Thanks Received:
    See next post below, screenshot & all...

APK
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2006
    calvary1980 says thanks.
  8. Alec§taar New Member

Thanks Received:
    I spoke TOO SOON W2hCYK: Today was the day I was going to pass you, not next week...

Argh... sorry, trying to make smaller image... I got edited by a mod for putting up an image that was WAY too large here recently... so, trying to avoid that!

apk
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2006
    calvary1980 says thanks.
  9. Alec§taar New Member

Thanks Received:
    I spoke too soon W2hCY: Passed you later today, instead of next week like I thought!

See my subject-line/title above, first, & this resultset today:

http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=teampage&teamnum=50711

1 Steevo1 37482 310
    2 Kfly3r 12399 60
    3 AlecStaar 7776 81
    4 W2hCYK 7560 48

5 i_am_mustang_man 4627 33

[​IMG]

* Just passed you by, when I thought it was going to take me a week!

APK

P.S.=> ALSO - I think the o/c I did is helping my F@H scores, now that I have it @ a rate that is going STABLE with the "-forceasm" commandline/consolemode/tty/DOS type version of the client that is which "screwed me over" for 20++ units or so & rocked my score credit... no biggie, I'll just make it up!

E.G./I.E.-> At the top of the page earlier today in repsonse here, I was @ 7391 for 80 units processed...

Now a few hours later, & @ 81 units processed?

I am at a score of 7776 -> THAT'S A 385 score per that unit!

I have never pulled that high of a score on a single unit yet (best before it was iirc, 241 per unit & assuming linear progression (maybe not right thing to do though, because the units CAN vary on this project)).

Thus, answering my question above for the most part! apk
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2006
    calvary1980 says thanks.
  10. W2hCYK New Member

Thanks Received:
    oh ho ho! I am in 3rd again! I am winningzorz.. and my laptop and desktop have 2 more WU's at 85% each. :)
    calvary1980 says thanks.
  11. Alec§taar New Member

Thanks Received:
    Heh, yea, I know... saw it today in fact!

* We're just "Trading Places" for awhile, just as Mustang_Man & I did... for awhile that is.

APK

P.S.=> You got lucky - our "weekly power outage" hit again last nite, you got a jump on me... but no biggie, the team gains!

I'll have you again by next Wednesday, regardless if you started out earlier than I did (and you did by a month maybe?)... unless, you get the CONROE you're after, &/or kick up those 7 cpu's you have vs. my single dualcore one!

Hell, I love this competitive nature, makes us try harder!

And, on the CONROE? YOU "GOING FOR IT" or what?? I do want to see how fast those 'cook up' a unit here... bigtime! apk
    calvary1980 says thanks.
  12. W2hCYK New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yea I'm going to try to get one asap. Maybe an early bday gift or something, going to have to work it out with the parents/gparents. going to need a new motherboard and ram as well. To get me going conroe, it will cost a bare minimum of, i'd say, $650~

Since my bday is in november, and december is xmas, I should have close to a brand new system. I think I'll be sticking with my graphics card(crappy PCI card) and PSU for a while though, but there is a PSU i have my eye on, 500w thermaltake silent psu. :)

I need DDR2 800 ram, atleast a gig, an E6600 (or should I go E6700?), and a motherboard. I'm going to run 2 instances of folding for double work! Woo!!! :) lol..
    calvary1980 says thanks.
  13. Alec§taar New Member

Thanks Received:
    "THAT'S THE SPIRIT!"

* I hope you do, & run it separately IF possible (unless you really wanna "BLAST" my scores vs. yours, & that is the general idea between teammates imo... drive one another, HARDER)

APK

P.S.=> I have a feeling CONROES are going to WHALE @ this project... just a hunch! apk
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2006
    calvary1980 says thanks.
  14. W2hCYK New Member

Thanks Received:
    Outpassed you again, and I have 2 more units at 80% again, lol... wooooo!!!! The competition is on!!!
    calvary1980 says thanks.
  15. Alec§taar New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yes, you are still ahead, I noted it (& stupid me didn't run it from like 11 p.m. last nite to this a.m.)...

* REMEMBER MAN: You have a 1-3 week lead on me, & can push 6 machines from what I see... lol, & STILL I am going to try to pass you by next Wed. update!

APK

P.S.=> My guess though is you'll be one of the first here to get a CONROE, & that, I do want to see per my statements above & how well those do on this project! apk
    calvary1980 says thanks.
  16. W2hCYK New Member

Thanks Received:
    well november will give a few people a chance before me to grab up a conroe, i may be the 3rd or so.

Should I do the E6600 or E6700?
    calvary1980 says thanks.
  17. W2hCYK New Member

Thanks Received:
    forget the E6700 for the time being, its $600 on tigerdirect.

Do you think tiger can ship their Conroes within their estimated 7-10 day shipping time? If so, I'll buy one right now! My next paycheck should be $350~ and I have about $50 on me. :)
    calvary1980 says thanks.
  18. Alec§taar New Member

Thanks Received:
    e6800 - "Accept NO Substitute"...

* Hey, it's YOUR money!

(I have no right to tell you how to spend it, but I say go for the best!)

APK
    calvary1980 says thanks.
  19. W2hCYK New Member

Thanks Received:
    I dont need any E6800, lol.. thats like, what, $1000?

I think I'm going to get the E6600 within the next 2 weeks. I needed to pay off my grandma for something i bought before, and she, for some reason, decided to not accept any more of the payments for it, and said I dont have to pay the rest off. I paid off half of it, $600... I am beyond happy right now, hahaha...

ps, my friend and I have no idea, but what does IIRC mean?
    calvary1980 says thanks.
  20. Alec§taar New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yea, it is TOO much to ask for a CPU... especially considering what I've seen done & is possible via overclocking here on these forums!

You DO have a point, a very strong point: CO$T$... they say, "talk's cheap", yea well... not when money does the talking!

I hear you.

Well, @ least you pay up your debts & all that - you sleep better for it!

If I Recall Correctly...

* I won't get you this week imo, I didn't run F@H again last nite (got into running the ScienceMark 2.0 benchmark & forgot to setup F@H clients (1 per CPU core here) to running again)... oh well!

(You hold 3rd place over me again this week most likely - I see you running 2 of your 6 possible rigs there, & I won't catch you because of my "slacking off" - oh well!)

APK
    calvary1980 says thanks.
  21. W2hCYK New Member

Thanks Received:
    i need to get my sisters computer up, but it has internet trouble, so thats whats slowing that computer down, and I am actually running 3 computers, but the celeron 1.4GHz cant really put out.. lol..
    calvary1980 says thanks.
  22. Alec§taar New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well, I got my machine up to 2750.1 mhz today (mostly in regards to seeing if I could compete better w/ dj dn's Opteron 165 DualCore rig today)...

This IS the highest I have EVER pushed it & maybe not such a "great idea", as the heat is topping 100F today around here already @ 10:30 a.m. (damn this heatwave, it's messing w/ me trying even higher overclocks!)

See here:

http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=14736&page=2

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

* Here is my score on ScienceMark 2.0, JUST SHY of 1400 (can't break it, & weather's TOO HOT to try for a higher o/c imo, @ least for this summer (topping 100F today around here) & dj dn hits 1446++ w/ his opteron 165 cpu - I am 39 points shy of his mark on that test!)

[​IMG]

* So, I will give it 1 last shot to beat you this week, finally starting "F@H" here again for steady run until Wed. to try to take 3rd place away from you again...

APK
    calvary1980 says thanks.
  23. FLY3R New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ohhhh, that should do better Alec. I have found though that some rigs fold more efficent when the CPU is less overclocked, you gota kinda find that comfort zone.
    calvary1980 says thanks.
  24. Alec§taar New Member

Thanks Received:
    Working on it, see here:

http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=14546&page=10

I am now trying to find that "sweet spot" balance between o/c mhz gain on CPU (I can hit 2822mhz but not very stable for long) & RAM rated 200mhz speed!

(THE RAM PART THOUGH? This is what "holds me down" the most, my RAM (Corsair 2x256mb matched pair DDR-400, nothing special here in the way of memory))

Here is what I have "settled on", both CPU o/c wise & memory-wise (stable, & allows me to finish & run ScienceMark 2.0 to completion, & highest score yet in it):

CPU-z 1.35 CPU (showing ~353mhz SOLID/STABLE overdriven gain over stock speed 2400mhz)

[​IMG]

&

CPU-z 1.35 RAM overdriven gain (getting ~197mhz of 200mhz possible on DDR-400 via DDR3 dividers used)

[​IMG]

ScienceMark 2.0 score (best yet @ 1401++, & stable):

[​IMG]

* There she be, best I can do... even w/ a 100F heatwave ambient temps outside today!

APK

P.S.=> Ah, if ONLY it was winter time... it is 100F out there today as an ambient temp, & it's not letting me get a higher STABLE o/c... apk
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2006
    calvary1980 says thanks.
  25. W2hCYK New Member

Thanks Received:
    im going to run sci.mark.. i bet I score under 1000, lol..

I'm going to try to increase my memory bandwidth, does more bandwith perform better with F@H, than raw GHz?
    calvary1980 says thanks.