1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

TPU's F@H Team

Discussion in 'Folding@Home' started by W2hCYK, Jun 10, 2006.

1. infrared New Member

Thanks Received:
    Nice one GIGGLA :)

I shall resume folding and join you soon, my motherboard's finally come back to me, but i'm now waiting for them to send me the box and accessories that they decided to keep :p

And don't worry too much about power consumption, i doubt you'd be able to suck more than 150w even if you overclocked your rig. Thing is your gpu will still be idle, so you won't use as much as if you were playing a game ;)

calvary1980 says thanks.
  2. GIGGLA

GIGGLA New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah about ~150~watts I figure too. Well I will leave it working all month long and then see how much extra the bill is:laugh:

calvary1980 says thanks.
  3. KennyT772

KennyT772 New Member

Thanks Received:
    ive been folding almost 24/7 on at least my server rig. i would really like to put it on all of my schools ~250 dells. now that would be one hell of a borg.

calvary1980 says thanks.
  4. regan1985 New Member

Thanks Received:
    shouldnt we be getting paid for this?

calvary1980 says thanks.
  5. GIGGLA

GIGGLA New Member

Thanks Received:
    That's a thought that came into my mind also. Like what if my computer finds a cure for cancer will I get paid lots of money. Well Folding@Home staff at Stanford University is a non-profit orginization. The person who would get paid lots of money would be the doctor or scientist who is smart enough to figure it all out by looking at the work results done by computers and then analyzing it even further in his/her own mind and being able to figure it out.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2007
    calvary1980 says thanks.
  6. Thermopylae_480

Thermopylae_480 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm going to start folding. Cancer = Bad.

calvary1980 says thanks.
  7. infrared New Member

Thanks Received:
    I've resumed folding :)

My e6400 is folding @ 3520mhz

Last edited: Mar 1, 2007
    calvary1980 says thanks.
  8. Thermopylae_480

Thanks Received:
    I wish I had one of the vid cards that was compatible with their GPU processing program.

calvary1980 says thanks.
  9. Alcpone

Thanks Received:
    Well.. the X1950Pro was compatible until this morning when I woke up there was a message saying that only the X1600/1800/1900 were supported anymore with the graphical beta :( So I guess they decided it wasnt being accurate enough or something? But I will download the console and joing the team, I think I had done about 10 units or something, not alot, but a contribution ;)

calvary1980 says thanks.
  10. SK-1

SK-1

Thanks Received:
    I just changed teams to TPU! Is it possible to fold on 2 Gpu's, like running prime95 2 times on a dual core CPU?If so what are the steps?
    Has anyone ever seen anything on TV about this Folding deal?Seems to me that if Dell or any other PC maker were to include it in their computers, a lot more people would use this program.
    Hell even a Prime Time TV news show could help out with this,...I mean it could save so many lives so much faster.

BTW I think I read on the AMD/ATI site that they will include the 1950's again after addressing some small issue with the driver.

calvary1980 says thanks.
  11. Alcpone

Thanks Received:
    Im not sure about running it x2, but if you have the power there it should utilise it all in theory? So thats why my card got dumped coz of driver ;)

calvary1980 says thanks.
  12. Thermopylae_480

Thanks Received:
    If you have an HT processor, a dual core processor, or dual processors you can.

Just download the non GUI based client, place it in two seperate directories, and when you run them for the first time it asks you if you want to assign a machine ID numbers 1-8. Choose two different numbers for each of the two programs.

Then run both programs.

Oh, nevermind. You said GPUs not CPUs. Well this may be of value to someone anyway.

calvary1980 says thanks.
  13. SK-1

SK-1

Thanks Received:
    That helps Therm,..thanks.

calvary1980 says thanks.
  14. GIGGLA

GIGGLA New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hey all welcome to the team! I'm glad to see you are all F@H. I have got my machine going at it practically 24/7 two consoles with hyperthreading, and I run one console while gaming.

I did a test with stress-cpu version 2.0 and it killed my overclock that was pretty much prime95 (all tests) stable. This is because prime95 does not really use floating point calculations like the gromacs core does in F@H. The stress-cpu 2.0 uses the gromacs core so it is the closest thing to F@H stress wise and for testing full load floating point calculation stability. It automatically launched 2 threads on my Hyperthreading cpu this stress-cpu 2.0 program.

And it's recommended to test with this if you are concerned with overclock stability and/or concerned about heat when running F@H. If the stress-cpu 2.0 finds an error it will shutdown and dissapear off of the screen.

Stress cpu 2.0 failed on my cpu in 2 hours so I just leave my pc at normal speed now. I did'nt get any gaming performance from my overclock anyway.

If you are wondering about running multiple F@H clients their forum has alot of info about this. For hyperthreading or dual core cpu's-(The following is for two console clients text-only in windows) after you place the program in 2 different directories ....in advanced options assign machine id 1 for first and 2 for other directory...then make shortcuts of each exe and leave the shortcut in the same folder.. right click the new shortcut and add to the target line a space then -local and when you start the program start it from this shortcut but always leave the shortcut in the main folder.

Edit: From what I hear, the "-local" switch is really only necessary if you're running (or have before ran) the graphical client, but it doesn't hurt to have it. If running two folding instances.

You will get more points with two instances but take longer to submit results for each one more info here- http://forum.folding-community.org/ftopic10427.html and a supported graphics gpu will fold about 2-5 times faster depending on its speed and configuration with the program.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2007
    calvary1980 says thanks.
  15. KennyT772

KennyT772 New Member

Thanks Received:
    folding 24/7 on at 2.75ghz amd, 700/850 x1800xt, and p4 2.6. i like second place :D

calvary1980 says thanks.
  16. Alcpone

Thanks Received:
    Its interesting how they recommend only running 1 instance on a dual core cpu, I can kinda get what they are saying though, so that is what I shall do, I care muchly for the science :)

calvary1980 says thanks.
  17. infrared New Member

Thanks Received:
    You can run two instances no probs, but it has to be the non-graphical client, there must be two separate folders for each instance, and you must use the "-local" flag on the shortcut 'target' :)

This shows how i have mine set up:
    http://img.techpowerup.org/070306/Capture034.png

just to save any confusion, the two f@h icons on the lower left of my desktop are shortcuts ;)

calvary1980 says thanks.
  18. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    Joined, soon to be folding on all three of my machines and maybe a few others.

calvary1980 says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  19. infrared New Member

Thanks Received:
    Cool, nice one! :D

You'll be surprised how quickly you can catch up with the rest of us, but don't get too obsessive if you see what i mean :laugh:

calvary1980 says thanks.
  20. GIGGLA

GIGGLA New Member

Thanks Received:
    OMG :eek: Infrared your core2duo rocks the house big time!:twitch: My 3.4 hyperthreading northwood cpu with hyperthreading enabled is running both those same cores- a supervillain and a lambda 5-way. For me the lambda 5-way takes 1hr 8min. your cpu does it in 24min:rockout: . The supervillain mine takes 30 minutes and yours takes 10min 25 sec:rockout: and now I say to you Infrared nice one! :toast:

calvary1980 says thanks.
  21. GIGGLA

GIGGLA New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm going to just run one instance because my hyperthreading cpu is not actually 2 cpu's, and I want to do what is best for the science. The faster they can get results the faster that they can make new work to send out also.

calvary1980 says thanks.
  22. Polaris573

Polaris573 Senior Moderator

Thanks Received:
    I agree. I was running two instances for a couple days, but I've decided to go back to one.

calvary1980 says thanks.
  23. infrared New Member

Thanks Received:
    lol, thnx giggla :D

I only fold 'part-time' though, i like to have the full force of my e6400 available when gaming :)

calvary1980 says thanks.
  24. ghost101

ghost101 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I dont fold for TPU. But i thought that id mention that its possible to get far better points by using the SMP linux client. I run it through vmware and my e6300 at 2.8ghz can achieve over 11k a week. I only actually get 8k a week because i dont fold 24/7.

calvary1980 says thanks.
  25. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    I have actually been folding for a few months now(for another team, just switched to TPU). I run it 24/7 on most of my machines, but only part time on my main rig for the same reason. However, since F@H runs as idle priority, any game should get the CPU time it needs, I just like to know for sure my games are getting the CPU power they need.

calvary1980 says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU