1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

TPU's F@H Team

Discussion in 'Folding@Home' started by W2hCYK, Jun 10, 2006.

1. stanhemi

stanhemi New Member

Thanks Received:

I'm not hating this man come on...But why i need to fold for another team,i'm already folding to find a cure for cancer,TPU WU don't count or what.oh yea it true.....gtx285.

I pray for stephanie and her family,i know it a hard time (we lost a kid in 2004)

you think he is encouraging people to fold but we already fold!!
    and why we need to fold for bjorn3d.com if pt are not important?
  2. p_o_s_pc

p_o_s_pc F@H&WCG addict

Thanks Received:
    Thanks and no biggy. :toast:
    mmaakk says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  3. p_o_s_pc

p_o_s_pc F@H&WCG addict

Thanks Received:
    I run about 68-74c with a slight OC so shouldn't be a problem
    Crunching for Team TPU
  4. Mikercool New Member

Thanks Received:
    http://bjorn3d.com/stephanie.php

Are you guys so heartless that you make comments like this when a 13 year old child has cancer?

You call something a scam when Jen-Hsun Huang (President of Nvidia) signs a card and sends it to America for Scott to give out as a prize.

Do you guys not see what it would mean to her to see a list of maybe 300-400 people that are folding to help find a cure?

You really should think about what you are saying.

[​IMG]
  5. thoughtdisorder

thoughtdisorder New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm not sure where you're coming from? Who called it a scam? We all have little Stephanie in our thoughts and prayers as well as Scott and the family. :)
  6. DarkEgo

DarkEgo

Thanks Received:
    http://www.bjorn3d.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28727&page=9
    Just thought I would show you guys that. Great way to build TPU's rep...:dodgy
  7. p_o_s_pc

p_o_s_pc F@H&WCG addict

Thanks Received:
    Crunching for Team TPU
  8. thoughtdisorder

Thanks Received:
    I am not aware of anyone mentioning a "scam", and as stated previously many of us have stated Stephanie is in our hearts and prayers. I'm not sure where these "scam" idea's are coming from, but our "reputation" is just fine.

It is one thing to "ask" people to fold for them, quite another to "guilt" them into it. Bottom line is folding is for finding a cure for everyone including Stephanie. Whether you choose to fold at TPU or Bjorn, or where ever, you're folding for the cause.

Stephanie, Scott and family are in my thoughts and prayers and I certainly wish all the best, but I'll be damned if I'll be made to feel guilty because of who I fold for.

Below are two other links for folks visiting from Bjorn:

http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=84071

http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=83810
  9. DarkEgo

DarkEgo

Thanks Received:
    I am pretty sure that is why we wanted us to fold for them. Maybe you could read a whole post instead of picking one part :slap:
  10. thoughtdisorder

Thanks Received:
    I read the whole post, and as I stated I will continue to fold where I choose. There are lots of Stephanie's out there, and I choose to fold for ALL of them. It's MY choice. Maybe you should read my whole post too. :cool:
    ShadowFold and stanhemi say thanks.
  11. SonicWRX New Member

Thanks Received:
    As the captain of The B3D Folding team I'd like to say to the TPU members that Yes your WU's count no matter what team you fold for. We encourage you to fold for whatever team you chose to. Folding is voluntary and every one that folds pays for it out of their own pockets so you have every right to say where the points go.

That's not the main point of the -Stephanie and folding for B3D. Stephanie is 13 and she was just handed the worst news ever. Take a few moments and look up her type of cancer, and you may understand better. At 13 she needs more support then an adult that might have the same cancer. Think about your normal 13 year old and all the social pressures that you have to deal with from your peers. Then on top of that Cancer and Kemo treatments. It's not just Stephanie's body that is under attack but her spirit. If that dies Stephanie has no chance at all. You and I can do nothing about her cancer. That's up to the Doctors and God. What we can do is show her that even though none of us know her personally we are concerned and support her in the fight for her life. At the start of this type of thing is the most important time to show support. Every thing that we do to lift her spirits helps more than some of us may ever know. Its all very new to her and VERY scary.

We all greatly appreciate your support of the F@H project and should you chose to fold for B3D at this time that is up to you. We are not twisting your arms. You do so out of you own free will, and we thank you if you chose to do so.

Fold for TPU or fold for B3D... please just fold. We all have someone that we know that has had, will have, or has cancer. Right now i know that I chose to show my support for Stephanie and hope that it brings a smile to her face and hope to her heart to see so many people support her. That is the point of the -Stephanie.

-SonicWRX
  12. p_o_s_pc

p_o_s_pc F@H&WCG addict

Thanks Received:
    keep in mind people that if you fold for B3D TPU won't keep going up in the ranks and we won't make our goal for top 20. I don't see why you just don't put -Stephanie on your user name and keep folding for TPU.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  13. BlueRaven New Member

Thanks Received:
    Comments like that is what gives it the feeling of a scam.

In the whole scheme of things 1 month doesn't make a real positive impact to Bjorn or a Negative one to TPU but it does lift the spirits of a young girl with cancer when she sees the names folding for her.
    thoughtdisorder says thanks.
  14. thoughtdisorder

Thanks Received:
    Very nicely stated. My hat is off to you. Stephanie, Scott and family are in my prayers.:)
  15. stanhemi

stanhemi New Member

Thanks Received:
    I fold for my daughter (who past away in 2004 from cancer@20 month) So when people come on TPU and treated us of scam it pissing me off.Instead just SHUT UP.

@SonicWRX : As a team we try to catch some goal,and i don't think folding for bjorn will help us.We all folding for the same goal,find a cure.

Scott and Stephanie and all her family are in my heart.
  16. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    if it gets more people folding is it bad? who cares if the decide to fold just b/c of the contest they are folding. is that WU worth any less than yours just cause they want something?
  17. El Fiendo

El Fiendo

Thanks Received:
    All I'm going to say, is you guys better rein it in now, both sides. Thank you for Sonic coming here and not instigating fires, but to everyone else who is joining just to comment here (with somewhat flamebaiting posts), it's gonna look bad for your forums too.

If people thought it here, I'm sure people thought it everywhere. We aren't any more inherently evil. Scott has to understand that people will form opinions he doesn't like, and not necessarily because they are bad people, but because of their experiences to this point in life. I myself find things and people hard to trust for face value, no matter who or what they are. However we are ALL folding which says something about us compared to people who aren't. So obviously, we can't be lecherous people.

Believe me, I hope the best for this girl and her family, but I'm going to remain here. That doesn't mean she doesn't have my support however.

And moreso, shame on the person who showed Scott this. Nay saying happens everywhere and it WILL be inevitable. You are just as bad as how you viewed the people you tried to vilify. What gave you the right to bring more darkness to this man's day,if not month?
    BUCK NASTY says thanks.
  18. PP Mguire

PP Mguire New Member

Thanks Received:
    Its the fact that people said it in the first place. It is NO scam, its a cause to raise spirits. The prizes are just waht he does EVERY MONTH. So thats not going to change. I dont see why your damn points here are such a big deal when this time the folding is still going out to something greater. Helping raise a little girls spirits. One month was all he was asking for and some people here are making such a big stink about "top 10, top 20". Thats just plain ridiculous. Its not about the rank, not about the score, not about the points. About the cause. Grow up. Just because you are in the top 10 F@H ranks dosent give you a bigger epenis.
    johnspack says thanks.
  19. thoughtdisorder

Thanks Received:
    Agreed. Btw, are you folding for the cause anywhere?
  20. PP Mguire

PP Mguire New Member

Thanks Received:
    Bjorn3D.com Have been for quite a while.
  21. thoughtdisorder

Thanks Received:
    Excellent! Glad you're folding for the cause.:D
  22. PP Mguire

PP Mguire New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yea if it wasnt for that site id prolly be freelance. I think the point thing is stupid kinda. It creates chaos like this and people lose site of the real reason why we fold.
  23. Castiel

Castiel

Thanks Received:
    I agree. I think adding a contest to the whole ordeal was a bad idea. People are folding for the prizes and just saying they are folding for her.
  24. PP Mguire

PP Mguire New Member

Thanks Received:
    Im glad im staff so i cant be put into that category =D
  25. Polaris573

Polaris573 Senior Moderator

Thanks Received:
    I do not know where the all the hostility is coming from over a program designed to advance scientific research into debilitating diseases. If bjorn3d wants to have a contest to generate greater interest in an altruistic program there is nothing wrong with that.

If you want to participate in the techpowerup folding team great. We're almost in the top 100 and could use the extra help. If you want to fold and try to win a prize that's great too. Either way you're donating to a worthy cause. All work units go to stanford. Just stop the trashy classless fighting.