1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

TPU's F@H Team

Discussion in 'Folding@Home' started by W2hCYK, Jun 10, 2006.

1. phanbuey

phanbuey

Thanks Received:
  2. johnspack

johnspack

Thanks Received:
    My regular 9800gtx runs 750/1800 24/7, but could go 775/1850 safely I think.. the + should do more. Note, those are not memory speeds, I actually downclock memory as it doesn't need to be fast.

3. El Fiendo

El Fiendo

Thanks Received:
    Buh, well my resistors will finally be in my hands soon so I can get my dummy plug working and finally get my second 9800 GTX in gear. Unfortunately, my computer hasn't been able to last for very long continually running the past few days. Found out my APC battery backup (UPS) is looking like its on its last legs and really messing up. I bought a new one, but both the new one and the old are telling me its faulty house wiring. Tested the wiring to the socket and it shows up as fine. I think its a problem with the ground. So, tomorrow I open the electrical box and do some tinkering.

Once this is smoothed out, hopefully, I'll be getting 11-13k PPD.

4. BUCK NASTY

BUCK NASTY F@H Mod & 4P Enthusiust Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Im currently running 770/1955/2300 and getting 6036 PPD. There is more headroom left, but i gotta check my daytime temps. This is the first card that i've seen a PPD increase with a memory overclock.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2009
    Crunching for Team TPU
  5. thoughtdisorder

thoughtdisorder New Member

Thanks Received:
  6. Castiel

Castiel

Thanks Received:
    When I go to sleep I leave my computer on all night to fold, and to keep it cool I leave a fan blowing at full speed to keep it cool. Well when I went to bed my card was at 42c and it wasn't going down. Well I later on in the night my room got cooled off. Well I woke up this morning with my computer off. And when I booted up my computer it asked if I wanted to boot in Safe mode or just normal, and I did normal, and everything was fine. I open up FOHMon and this came up: [​IMG]

Now I am not for sure why my computer shut off but it shut off around 6a.m. this morning because it said that the new WU loaded 2 hours and 58 min ago and there is no progress at all.

What do you think could of happened?

7. thebluebumblebee

thebluebumblebee

Thanks Received:
    Power outage???

8. Castiel

Castiel

Thanks Received:
    Thats what I thought, but my clock wasn't affected.

9. p_o_s_pc

p_o_s_pc F@H&WCG addict

Thanks Received:
    @ Buck are you willing to give a 9600GSO or 8800GS away to me for free? I would have it folding. If you would like i would even put it under your name

Crunching for Team TPU
  10. Thermopylae_480

Thermopylae_480 New Member

Thanks Received:
    SMP client doesn't seem to be helping at all. It has only processed 24% in nearly as many hours, that is a lot slower.

11. dadi_oh

dadi_oh New Member

Thanks Received:
    Awwww crap. Added the 8800GS alongside my 8800GT and it drags the 8800GT folding to its knees.
    Drops it from something like 4800ppd on the 8800GT to about 2000ppd. And the 8800GS gets about the same :shadedshu

Looks like either I find another 8800GS to replace my 8800GT or swap my son's machine 8800GT for this 8800GS.

My son's 8800GT is a Palit 1GB version. I assume no issue mixing it with my BFG 8800GT 512MB since it is the number of shaders that counts... not the memory?

Rats. Should have bought 2 of the 8800GS from the guy... too late now.

12. El Fiendo

El Fiendo

Thanks Received:
    Yes but it should be yielding a fair amount over just the GPU running alone. I assume you have both clients running, each assigned to a seperate core. If not I'll be glad to walk you through it. It was a bit of a run around for me but worth it.

Aside from the help I can provide, I'm afraid I myself am at a loss. Neither of my uninterrupted power supplies now show the outlet to have faulty wiring. I opened it up anyways just in case and everything looks alright, though its old wiring so I can't tell which is hot or neutral (same color, which I didn't think ever happened). Hence I can't tell if the polarity is reversed, which will still allow you to operate many appliances, you just do so without a ground at all (neutral or safety ground). So tomorrow I get an outlet tester. In the meantime, I'm going to keep limping along getting the WUs out as much as I can.

I hope to have this fixed before I attempt to get my second 9800GTX working. I'll iron out these wrinkles. Oh and Thermo, let me know.

13. Thermopylae_480

Thanks Received:
    I can get one CPU WU done in a day with the normal CPU Client + GPU Client, but when I use the SMP Client + the GPU Client it will take me four days to process one CPU WU. I'll get several GPU WUs done in a day still, that hasn't changed. Will the one SMP Client CPU WU give more points over a four day period than completing four normal CPU Client WUs?

So which is better?
    SMP Client + GPU Client = 9-11 WU over four days
    CPU Client + GPU Client = 12-14 WU over four days

Isn't the advantage to using the SMP client that it will use multiple cores to process one WU? Why would you want to limit its CPU affinity to one core. That seems like it would just make it identical to the normal CPU Client.

I may just be thoroughly confused about how these folding programs interact.

14. GIGGLA

GIGGLA New Member

Thanks Received:
    Best configuration Thermopylae is smp client affinity set to first three cores in task manager and the gpu client running only on the last core of the cpu. Also in the gpu configuration settings tick slightly higher priority for the gpu.

The smp wu's are worth more points. They are possibly also higher priority wu's

I get about 2000 ppd out of my ati 3850 clocked to 800 mhz and about 1900-3500 ppd out of my quad cpu at 3.6 ghz

Last edited: Feb 19, 2009
  15. El Fiendo

El Fiendo

Thanks Received:
    He's got a dual core, but yes, the SMP client gets WUs worth more. Did you set the ' -smp' flag on the shortcut (make a shortcut on the desktop and then add ' -smp' to the target if the answer is no. Also, during setup did you set it to accept and send WUs over 5 MB in size? I've seen in several places this will get WUs worth more. I'm pretty sure they are worth more than the 'lost' processor time on the ones that are worth less.

Also, have you downloaded FaHMon? This program, once you point it to where you have your folding clients installed, will track progress and give you an estimate as to when it will be completed. Using this, and the points of the WU (which it automatically reads) will give you a general idea of PPD. So if you want to test it, this will let you know quickly. Please share your results as its got me wondering about my wolfdale, roughly similar to your Xeon.

16. johnspack

johnspack

Thanks Received:
    Ug, must be nice to have real homes and fuseboxes, I've just tripped my box, which shuts down my entire apartment, for the 5th time in a row, just with a 280 and a 9800gtx... I hate my life... heheh!

17. Thermopylae_480

Thanks Received:
    My processor is exactly the same as yours, it just passed higher QA/QC, they're both the 45nm Wolfdale core. I'll let you know what the results are once it calculates a few WUs.

18. oily_17

oily_17

Thanks Received:
    Just passed the 1,000,000 mark :D

The first of many hopefully.

19. BUCK NASTY

BUCK NASTY F@H Mod & 4P Enthusiust Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Congrats oily_17!!!:toast:

Crunching for Team TPU
  20. Thermopylae_480

Thanks Received:
    It is going to take the SMP Client three days to finish a 1920pt WU resulting in 586.18ppd.

21. WhiteLotus

WhiteLotus

Thanks Received:
    I dont think you have the -SMP flag on.

22. Thermopylae_480

Thanks Received:
    I do. I've tried it with -smp 2 -verbosity 9, and -smp -verbosity 9 flag sets. I think the GPU Client just uses to much of my CPU. If I run the GPU client by itself it wants to use 100% of the GPU and 100% of one of the CPU cores.

23. WhiteLotus

WhiteLotus

Thanks Received:
    Hmm, i don't know, guess it just looks a bit too low.

24. dadi_oh

dadi_oh New Member

Thanks Received:
    The newer Nvidia drivers (I think it started at 180.xx from memory) reduce the GPU demand on the CPU to something very small (10% or less). The older Nvidia drivers used 100% of a CPU core for GPU folding. You are folding with an ATI card? That may be the difference. Maybe ATI drivers still demand a full 100% of a core for GPU folding. Someone with an ATI card could confirm (Mmaakk?)

25. Thermopylae_480

Thanks Received:
    This is how it is set up (these two clients running simultaneously):
    SMP Client:
    Flags: -smp -verbosity 9
    WU Size: Big
    advmethods flag always: yes
    Priority: Above normal
    Affinity: Core 0

GPU Client
    Flags: -verbosity 9
    WU Size: Big
    Advmethods flag alwasy: yes
    Priority: Normal
    Affinity: Core 1

This is a dual core 45nm Wolfdale CPU @ 3.5Ghz, and an ATI 3850 (and of course I have the latest drivers)