1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

TPU's F@H Team

Discussion in 'Folding@Home' started by W2hCYK, Jun 10, 2006.

1. Alcpone

Thanks Received:
    I think it is, coz it runs 1 core a 100% and because of the calculations it uses for stressing ;)
    calvary1980 says thanks.
  2. infrared New Member

Thanks Received:
    i'd say no, because if you run a different stresstest like Orthos, or Prime95, the cpu temperature goes a lot higher than when it's running f@h.
    calvary1980 says thanks.
  3. GIGGLA

GIGGLA New Member

Thanks Received:
    Though true stability cannot be determined with just one program, Stress-Cpu 2.0 is one of the best stability tests for the cpu with F@H and it is recommended at the F@H forum. Version 2.0 has better checking...it also executes two threads for dual core or hyper-threading cpu's. If Stress-Cpu errors it's program will shut down and dissapear off of the computer screen.

This Stress-Cpu 2.0 program is recommended because it uses the gromacs core just like F@H which uses floating point calculations <<<something that prime95 really does not fully test(floating point calculations).

Edit: A top moderator at F@H forums says that prime95 really does not test floating point calculations and uses mostly integer. While a top guy from the prime95 website says that prime95 does not hardly use integer but floating point. So the prime95 guy says to fully test a hyper-threading cpu run a test that uses integer in addition to prime95 at the same time. So really one of these guys is confused.

So anyways this Stress-Cpu 2.0 errored on me in 2 hours with hyper-threading when my system was somewhat prime95 stable. Several hours each and still going of- one instance large in-place fft's...blend...and also with hyperthreading enabled=small/large fft's. StressCpu 2.0 showed my overclock was not stable and for now I leave it at normal speed.

Woot in the top 1000 congrats team! Looks like we have 35 active cpu's in the last 50 days crunching for a cure and TPU's F@H Team.
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2007
    calvary1980 says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  4. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    My poor Sempy 2600+(rebadge Athlon XP 2200+) is still on its first WU after 2 days.:laugh:

In terms of stability tests, I prefer to use Orthos SP2004. It has all the tests that Prime95 has, but it also has the option to use the Gromacs core just like Stress-CPU 2.0 uses, and it auto-detects how many logical processors you have and runs two tests simultaniously in the same window if you have a dual-core or hyper-threaded processor(not sure if it does quad-cores yet though).
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2007
    calvary1980 says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  5. GIGGLA

GIGGLA New Member

Thanks Received:
    Does Orthos use the 2.0 version of stress-cpu? The 2.0 version was released in Feb 9 2007 I believe and the newest version of Orthos I can find was released in Apr 20 2006. Just wondering because 2.0 has better checking. I tried finding out on Google but could'nt find anything.
    calvary1980 says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  6. Thermopylae_480

Thermopylae_480 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yay! More people join. Come on! We have enough members to really bring ourselves into the upper level slots if more people join.
    calvary1980 says thanks.
  7. DOM

DOM

Thanks Received:
    :mad: i did one but i put 5071 :twitch: :banghead: :cry: and i had got 300 some points well right now im doing another one and now i made sure i put the right #'s
    calvary1980 says thanks.
  8. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    It uses the same gromacs core as Stess-CPU, Stess-CPU 2.0 has released new version of the program, but the method used to test remains the same.
    calvary1980 says thanks.
  9. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    You didn't answer my question. If you say a thread about running a piece of software doesn't belong on the General Software section, then what exactly does belong here? If you remove all the threads about running software from the software section it would be pretty empty.

Also, Solaris didn't ask poeple to delete useful stickies and delete the information contained in them just for the sake of clearing up space. He asked that the information be moved out of the forums into the Wiki to both promote the use of the Wiki and free up space. Some stickies just don't belong in the Wiki, this is one of them.
    calvary1980 says thanks.
  10. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    Plenty of Room in the software section for a topic about software also. This doesn't belong in the offtopic section as this isn't offtopic.
    calvary1980 says thanks.
  11. Thermopylae_480

Thanks Received:
    Whoa people. Calm down. I think I agree with you Alec, I'll look into finding this a new home.
    calvary1980 says thanks.
  12. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    There is also plenty of room in the Wiki, that is where your stickies and most of the others on the Software page should be moved(as per Solaris' request).

Edit: Sorry Themo, didn't see your post as I was writing mine.
    calvary1980 says thanks.
  13. DOM

DOM

Thanks Received:
    :laugh: Yeah Alec§taar should'nt have to delete his things which might help someone and theres a bunch of threads that should be deleted that are old and theres no point on having them if there not useful to other ppl

and i think it should'nt be here also its a "Team" its not talking about software its about helping to understand protein folding, misfolding, and related diseases
    calvary1980 says thanks.
  14. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    Alec, you should have left the argument about this issue in the thread it was originally in and not brought it over to other threads like a child that isn't getting its way. Just my opinion though.

Yeah, because this thread really belongs in the wiki...
    calvary1980 says thanks.
  15. Thermopylae_480

Thanks Received:
    Hey, I said enough. What part of this do you people not understand. You can't even give me time to reflect on the issue! I guess I need to take further steps.

Ok, I've given it some thought. I think I will move this to general nonsense. I believe this thread will be just as successful in that category, which is also less cluttered. Since this thread does not really provide a useful troubleshooting service, except to itself, I think it would be of more benefit to move this to another section in lieu of something which may provide a more valuable service. In addition, since the General nonsense form receives more traffic, and has less stickies, I think this may actually benefit the program, since it will give it more daily exposure.
    calvary1980 says thanks.
  16. Thermopylae_480

Thanks Received:
    I'm not closing this thread people. Knock it off, or you two get a week vacation.
    calvary1980 says thanks.
  17. zekrahminator

zekrahminator McLovin

Thanks Received:
    Good news bad news time.

Good news: This thread ain't getting closed.

Bad news: Alecstar and Newtekie, you've been very bad lately, and death threats don't make the forums a very nice place. I'm putting you both on a week long vacation to soothe your nerves.
    calvary1980 says thanks.
  18. pt

pt not a suicide-bomber

Thanks Received:
    wtf just happened here?
    i got scared reading in gmail alecstar post:eek:
    can anyone elucidate me?
    calvary1980 says thanks.
  19. zekrahminator

zekrahminator McLovin

Thanks Received:
    Let's just say that Newtekie and Alecstar threw some insults around....got in a flame war...threatened to knock each other's teeth out. I was about to give them a week-ban, but then Thermoplyae gave them both vacations until June. In my opinion, we should just shorten that to a week.
    calvary1980 says thanks.
  20. Thermopylae_480

Thanks Received:
    No I didn't...
    calvary1980 says thanks.
  21. pt

pt not a suicide-bomber

Thanks Received:
    why the insults?
    calvary1980 says thanks.
  22. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    I never said that. Now he is just making things up.(Just to let the mods know)
    calvary1980 says thanks.
  23. Tau

Tau New Member

Thanks Received:
    Just curiouse how long this team has been folding for with 29 members it does not seem that long, and also how come you dident start folding sooner?
    calvary1980 says thanks.
  24. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    realatively new forum.

I have been folding for another set of forums for well over a year.
    10 Million points folded for TPU
  25. Tau

Tau New Member

Thanks Received:
    how old is the forum? i mean 20K members makes me think its pretty old!

im in the top 20 producers for my other forum.