1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

TPU's F@H Team

Discussion in 'Folding@Home' started by W2hCYK, Jun 10, 2006.

1. BUCK NASTY

BUCK NASTY F@H Mod & 4P Enthusiust Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I will say that you Canadian folders are definitely a driven bunch of guy's!
    :toast:
    Crunching for Team TPU
  2. El Fiendo

El Fiendo

Thanks Received:
    I dream at night of blasting mis-folded proteins with various forms of video-cardy goodness.

3. PVTCaboose1337

PVTCaboose1337 Graphical Hacker

Thanks Received:
    I dream of my 4850's fan blowing out from all the folding and wake up sweating and have to go check on it.
  4. El Fiendo

El Fiendo

Thanks Received:
    I have faith in old Sheila 2.0. She won't let me down. As for Sheila 1.0, well she got upgraded for a reason, and the video card may not hold, but she's enough of a trooper to crank away until I can upgrade the video card from the 8800GTX.
  5. El Fiendo

El Fiendo

Thanks Received:
    She's awake! SHE'S ALIVE! Now lets check her stability. Also, AC Freezer 7s are effing silent. I should switch that and my Zalman 9700 out from my backup rig to my main rig.

This is going to call for more rum and coke.
  6. PVTCaboose1337

PVTCaboose1337 Graphical Hacker

Thanks Received:
    No time for celebration... you must complete a WU first!
  7. El Fiendo

El Fiendo

Thanks Received:
    Oh, I can work on computers whilst inebriated. Why? Because I am a cut above. Should this all work out, I will be heralded as a god. By myself only. But still.
  8. johnnyfiive

johnnyfiive

Thanks Received:
    alrighty. PS3 is folding and so is my PC while I'm at work. Awesomeness. Happy St. Patrick's day btw!
  9. thebluebumblebee

thebluebumblebee

Thanks Received:
  10. kyle2020 Guest

has anyone noticed how close we are to 150,000 WU's? :D
  11. El Fiendo

El Fiendo

Thanks Received:
    Gee thanks, that was a lovely comment. Its called a personal goal. Buck hit one with 10 million. Just because I'm not following your personal goal doesn't make mine wrong, and doesn't mean I don't know what I'm doing. Also, if you really wanted to convince me to help with yours, comments like that won't go far to help. Seems to me that thread/goal was 'if you're willing to help out' not a 'change your name to this or I'll kill some kittens'.
  12. kyle2020 Guest

does it matter what name he uses? :wtf:
  13. dadi_oh

dadi_oh New Member

Thanks Received:
    That's cause we have nothing better to do while we wait for the snow to melt and the mosquitoes to wake up :p

My server, Q6600 + 2 x 8800GT heats my basement in the winter. We'll see how it goes when it hits 30C here in the summer :cool:

I'd say that we Canucks are known for helping out those that need help... and doing it politely along the way ;)
  14. El Fiendo

El Fiendo

Thanks Received:

I sometimes fail on the politely. :ohwell: But I'm worried about the 30 C summers too, I'm thinking I'll have to pick up after market cooling. The processor will be fine, but the cards I'm not so sure about.
  15. BUCK NASTY

BUCK NASTY F@H Mod & 4P Enthusiust Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I want to say thanks for folding in general. Whatever team or whatever name, it does not matter. Some of us fold for the points and some fold for the fun of it. It's all good, whatever your choice. Just keep folding for the sake of humanity.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  16. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    I fold cause I can, not for points, not for fun. Although I do think it is kinda neat that I am putting all that idle power to good use. My processor may be locked at 2.2ghz due to my crippled BIOS, but it's still 2.2*4 which equals 8.8ghz of raw processing power when F@H takes control :rockout:
    Crunching for Team TPU
  17. dadi_oh

dadi_oh New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have a couple of Zalman VF900's that I picked up cheap that do a fine job on my 8800GT's compared to the stock single slot coolers. Quieter and cooler. Not sure how the VF900 would compare to the stock 9800GTX cooler. I know that even on full fan speed the VF900's are pretty quiet though and they keep the OC'ed 8800GT's at about 55C folding.
  18. El Fiendo

El Fiendo

Thanks Received:
    I wouldn't be folding still if I hadn't set my personal goal. It all started with a 'lets see what points I can pull'. Surprisingly it was also a drunken night when I started. However without my goal I'd have succumbed to the 'it costs too much' when I got my first electric bill.

I'm around 70-80 on load, depending the work unit. I'm looking at some Zalman GV1000s if they ever come back in stock and I stop being poor. Unfortunately those have to hit at the same time.
  19. kyle2020 Guest

folding for fun = funtimes :D

My dad asked me why I fold, I simply replied "I have no idea. I know what happens from it, but why I do it, I havent a clue". Its like competition with myself, but for a greater cause, and I must say, I'm bloody addicted - If I have to go out, have a shower, go on a driving lesson, whatever - I just get folding. Its almost like second nature now, I just do it without thinking.
  20. johnnyfiive

johnnyfiive

Thanks Received:
    How do I add the FAH stats in my sig like you have Buck?
  21. stanhemi

stanhemi New Member

Thanks Received:
    johnnyfiive says thanks.
  22. chuck216

chuck216

Thanks Received:
    Joined the team last night putting my 4870 to work. 2 wu done
  23. thebluebumblebee

thebluebumblebee

Thanks Received:
    Sorry, I should have paid more attention to your sig.:cry: I could not find the smiley for "dripping with humorous sarcasm". Maybe :);):rolleyes::D:p:ohwell:? As for your personal goals, BUCK has promised to replace any points diverted during this time. :toast:

KYLE2020: This is just a stunt, a PR move to get team TPU noticed. I in no way meant that anyone HAD to change their name to Techpowerup!; I was only trying to make sure people knew about the team goal. I was just trying to urge people to put aside their personal goals for now (I don't know how much longer this will last, maybe through the end of the month), and then we can get back to them. My experience has been that the "goal" always seems to move, anyway.:D It will be there, waiting for you when you get back. And, wouldn't it be fun to see your points jump when BUCK pays you back? :twitch::toast::twitch:

Anyone else wonder if this very valid scientific work has been combined with a sociology/psychology experiment to see what will happen to people (mostly males) if a chart of work done, with rankings, is used?;):rolleyes::laugh:
  24. kyle2020 Guest

ah I see.

So everyones joining under a single name?
  25. dadi_oh

dadi_oh New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yup. Just modify your name to TechPowerup! and you are part of the folding collective. Resistance is futile :)

I have everything folding under the TechPowerup! name. 2 X Q6600, 2 X 8800GT, and a GTX260. Somewhere around 20K ppd.