1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

TPU's F@H Team

Discussion in 'Folding@Home' started by W2hCYK, Jun 10, 2006.

1. bogmali

bogmali Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    LinuxRouter VMWare Client V. 1.1 Crazy Issues

I will probably have to switch to notfreds VM client for -bigadv if my rigs that are currently folding LinuxRouter's client goes haywire again. I've lost a total of 3 -bigadv WU's between today and yesterday when I shutdown the clients to install critical windows update. I'm using ver. 1.1 and have except for the advmethods flag, everything is enabled. The problem is that when I resume folding, the client goes ape-shit and downloads a whole new WU and erases my previously working ones (which were at 90%) and starts again from scratch. And YES I checked EOC and Kakao to see if I got the credit. Never had this problem with the previous versions and in some cases the older versions resumed work after a BSOD restart:eek:, not version 1.1 :banghead: All I've gotten so far (instead of ungodly amount of points) is down time and :banghead: We will see by tomorrow if the current ones hold up:shadedshu

2. msgclb

msgclb

Thanks Received:
    I don't shutdown my -bigadv WU for any reason. When a windows update arrives I do my best to be available when the -bigadv WU completes and has successfully uploaded then I Ctrl-C the client and then do the windows update.

I shutdown my -bigadv rig Thursday night after the last WU completed to swap out memory and got it running again about 2PM Friday. I'm trying to get my DFI X58 rig running fast enough to use it for -bigadv WUs but it sure looks like I'll have heat problems. My DFI motherboard system temperature gets real hot. Maybe I'll just buy a fire extinguisher and hope for the best.:eek:

Last edited: Feb 13, 2010
  3. bogmali

Thanks Received:
    That is how I did mine and all instances when I restart the client, that thing happens:shadedshu It suppose to do an autosave of your progress every 1/2 hour and for some stupid reason mines are non-existent:wtf::banghead::mad:

4. El Fiendo

El Fiendo

Thanks Received:
    Mine did the same thing yesterday at 96%. :eek: I don't think the backup thing is working, or perhaps I'm not using it right. Not sure.

Crunching for Team TPU
  5. BUCK NASTY

BUCK NASTY F@H Mod & 4P Enthusiust Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Heh, I can't even get a -bigadv WU downloaded with 1.0 or 1.1(passkey is correct), so i'm just pumping out 15K on SMP2 until all this crap settles down. I would love to get -bigadv working again and maybe build another i7, but the future of the -bigadv project is uncertain in my eyes. If anyone has success stabilizing via Notfred's for Linuxrouter's version, please let us know.

6. Clement

Clement New Member

Thanks Received:
    Your program might not have permission to access its own files. Its a big maybe. Vista was a real b!tch with those things early on.
    Look for an update, or search google. Or just ask somewhere else in the forum? :D

Gotta love this new scheme to 'avoid' malware.

Double edged swords suck :banghead:.

7. msgclb

msgclb

Thanks Received:
    I've completed my last 5 -bigadv WUs but after completing the 1st one I did loose the 2nd one when it wouldn't upload. I use the [GUIDE] VMWare 3.0 (8 Core Folding w/ -bigadv) -UPDATED v1.1 found here. While the instructions are different from what you posted, I'd bet the Linux FAH Image v1.1 is the same.

I haven't tried to test whether the work would be saved if I stopped the client.

I believe the only change I made to the VM was to up the memory to 4600MB.

It looks like 3.2GB is all I'm going to get out of my DFI X58 rig without setting the place on fire. I don't know if I need a better radiator or redo the paste on the system waterblock. I believe I'll try a SMP2 first to see how it handles that then maybe go for a -bigadv WU.

[​IMG]

8. El Fiendo

El Fiendo

Thanks Received:
    There is also a change that makes all memory allocated to VMWare available to Linux. It's supposed to cut down on instability.

Crunching for Team TPU
  9. msgclb

msgclb

Thanks Received:
    I'm using Vista 64-bit with my DFI X58 rig. I installed VM and when I attempted to load Linux64_FAH I got this error.

[​IMG]

I found VT-d in the BIOS and enabled it everything associated with it. I still can't get past that error without going to 32-bit. This is the detailed information referenced in the image. In the image it says disable 'trusted execution.' I can't find that. Any idea what that is or what I have to do to run with 64-bit support?

10. bogmali

Thanks Received:
    I am going to test NotFreds version to see if it's any better. The two rigs that I have folding -bigadv right now are so far stable both at 42% and 29% progress.

Msgclb-3.2Ghz out of an i7 920 (I think):eek: Is that a D0 or C0/C1 stepping? You should get 3.5 out that at a minimum:confused:

EDIT: I see it on your system specs, that's a D0 stepping bro and it's capable of 4.2 Ghz but between 3.6.to 38 for 24/7 usage. What exactly are you running into when you say you can only squeeze 3.2 out of it?

Last edited: Feb 13, 2010
  11. p_o_s_pc

p_o_s_pc F@H&WCG addict

Thanks Received:
    3.5ghz should be easy even on a C0/C1 I have my C0/C1 at 3.8ghz stable

Crunching for Team TPU
  12. msgclb

msgclb

Thanks Received:
    It's not the core temps but the system (VR) temp. At 3.2Ghz it reaches 85C where 59C is max. DFI say the VR is rated at 100C but I guess they recommend 59C as max. I don't know if a bigger radiator would help or if taking the block off and redoing the paste can lower this temp.

If I can't figure out how to enable VT and get the VM to run Linux64_FAH then it won't matter!

13. bogmali

Thanks Received:
    Can you post screenie of your BIOS? I'm not too familiar with DFI boards so I cannot so to speak give you any help without seeing your BIOS settings.

14. msgclb

msgclb

Thanks Received:
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2010
  15. bogmali

Thanks Received:
    OK I see, I've never enabled the VT-d feature on any of my boards and they never had any issues with folding VMWare clients (except recently where it's more of a SW issue). See how your temps are if you disable them.

16. msgclb

msgclb

Thanks Received:
    I kept looking and found the problem.:) In the Power Management section there was an option that had something to do with 32-bit mode or 64-bit mode. I don't have any BIOS documentation to refer to so I'd have go back to the BIOS to get the exact wording. Anyway I changed it to 64-bit and Linux64-FAH started.

When I started this adventure the VT-d options and everything that's enabled in the second image were disabled.

I started a SMP WU but it looks like I forgot the 8 as the cores are not max out. When this one completes I'm going to restart ./fah6 -smp 8 and if it can handle that then I'll go for a -bigadv WU.

17. thebluebumblebee

thebluebumblebee

Thanks Received:
    Ok, I don't know what's going on, but I keep catching the 375/445/450 point WU's and I'm getting massive points for my hardware. On the last update (EOC), I shot up to 7th place on the team!

Crunching for Team TPU
  18. johnspack

johnspack

Thanks Received:
    Hoping to add a used gtx260 to my farm within a week. The 9800gtx should be folding 24/7 by then. I'll be using the gtx260 65nm for awhile until I can get 2 gtx260 55nms, then the first 260 will go into 24/7 folding mode too. No way I'm going to stop folding! The stupid 280 was just a setback, and I'm going to torture it......

19. msgclb

msgclb

Thanks Received:
    My DFI X58 rig crashed and burned!:mad: Well, not literally!:banghead:

I lowered the vtt and I'm now retesting. A higher vtt seems to have a greater affect on the system temp than anything else.

20. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    GPU client servers down now?

Crunching for Team TPU
  21. mstenholm

Thanks Received:
    Seems so. I have 3-4 WU in the sending queue on this rig but now I can't even get new ones to work on. GPU temp is down to 44 C for the first times since I installed it.:cry:

theonedub says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  22. thebluebumblebee

thebluebumblebee

Thanks Received:
    Is it just the nvidia servers?

I've only gotten credit from my ATI card since the 6AM CT updates.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2010
    Crunching for Team TPU
  23. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    Not sure if its a particular server or not, F@H has been having a ton of problems lately. They really need to get all this sorted already.

Crunching for Team TPU
  24. BUCK NASTY

BUCK NASTY F@H Mod & 4P Enthusiust Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    It appears that all Nvidia servers are down. I suggest everyone take this time to shut down and clean the dust from the heat sinks on your GPU's. I personally have a little wiring to do myself.

25. Black Panther

Black Panther Senior Moderatorâ„¢ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I have just joined. Got no experience with this actually but I put the team number and am folding. Only I think I'm only using the CPU? The little icon on bottom right says CPU - F@H
    I got a gpu which could be put into good use here I guess. I'd appreciate some quick help so that I manage this, or perhaps a linky? Thanks!