1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

TPU's F@H Team

Discussion in 'Folding@Home' started by W2hCYK, Jun 10, 2006.

1. p_o_s_pc

p_o_s_pc F@H&WCG addict

Thanks Received:
    are you running the SMP?
    Crunching for Team TPU
  2. [I.R.A]_FBi

[I.R.A]_FBi New Member

Thanks Received:
    the what?
  3. p_o_s_pc

p_o_s_pc F@H&WCG addict

Thanks Received:
    The SMP client for dual and quad core systems... The WUs are worth more and have a more strict deadline.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  4. Ben Clarke

Ben Clarke

Thanks Received:
    On my way back... running 4 normal clients and hoping for more.
  5. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    hey guys, Ive been folding for a week or so now. I was planning to join somebody elses team but im on this site a lot anyway, so it would only make sense that I join your team

all flamers welcome

look out for me - D3mon_Of_Th3_F4LL

EDIT

Sorry guys, quick question....If I used the same name on 2 machines running folding home, would that create a conflict on how my scores/results are collected????
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2007
  6. Jimmy 2004

Jimmy 2004 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I don't think so... some people use loads of PCs, it will just combine the workload under one name.
    FreedomEclipse says thanks.
  7. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    sweet, thanks for that bud!
  8. imperialreign

imperialreign New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm down for a few weeks - until I get my mobo back. This second rig just doesn't have the speed for the CPU client and I can't run my 1950PRO in my current workhorse rig, so the GPU client is currently out, too.

Oh, well . . .
  9. Seany1212

Seany1212

Thanks Received:
    Guys im using the console version for my dual core, but i have an x1900xt as well so is there a way to use both cores plus the GPU while still keeping the console method? Like have the seperate consoles open but another one for the GPU?
  10. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    I've been using different versions, so far I've used the GPU GUI version with my x1950pro for the last couple of weeks,
    I did 16WU's, for a worth of 5280points, averaging only 330ppd.
    I tried the SMP Console 5.91beta (I think that's the version), and it took a long time, but I scored 1760points for one WU!
    I am now trying FAH 6.0 Beta, supposedly it can run SMP and Non-SMP WU's by adding -smp flag to command line. Of course it's got the GUI, I am unsure if that will comprimise my performance or not, I do not leave the window open, just the icon in the system tray.

I have read of users getting decent points using SMP and GPU clients at the same time, but the time it takes to finish those WU's, the validations, and the points don't seem to make up for it. From what I've read using SMP based folding is the way to go. I hope someday they can harness the 320 shaders on my future 2900pro for the GPU client, maybe we could give the PS3 a run for its money! hehe!

Any suggestions to FAH pro's out there? I'm going to have my rig and my GF's rig running FAH. Should I just use the old SMP Console? What's everyone's luck with v6 GUI been? Does the SMP really work on it?

:toast:
  11. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    The GUI is always slower than the console. You should be able to run both the SMP console and the GPU console at the same time with little slowdown in either.
    Kursah says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  12. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    Cool, I'll try the SMP and GPU consoles at the same time and see how it turns out.

I didn't like the beta 6 FAH, it only used 23% of core 1 and 75% of core 2 on average, even with the -smp tag. I'm sure it's useful, but I don't think it's optimal to getting WU's done.

Thanks for the input newtekie1, btw, how's the new PSU treatin ya?
  13. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    It is doing great, it even fixed a few of my other demons that I thought were caused by the PSU, but could never prove it until I finally made the switch.
  14. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    Hell yeah! That's the way we like it, replace something to fix a major problem and have others disappear also! Nice dude!

Is there anything I should adjust for settings when using SMP and GPU together? Both are set to use 100% CPU, and SMP does at least show 100% load on both cores by itself. It does take approx 2 minutes longer per pass than with just SMP, so I figure that's not too bad.

As-far-as GPU console, this is my first real run with it, as I was just using the GUI version for my last 16 WU's in GPU.

Thanks again for your help!
  15. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    I should have four new multi-core boxes being built in the winter as we are upgrading at work. A couple moths away and more powah, and new CPU's to choose from, might start folding on my home box again as it is cooler out.

Everyone is doing great, we are rocketing up in places. Great job.
    10 Million points folded for TPU
  16. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    I'm donating all I can from my main PC (system specs) and my GF's P4 setup. I may have access to another older PC..

Steevo you've donated a TON! I hope to get in a routine to keep this going at night, the one thing I liked about the GUI versions was the pause feature, but I heard it was faster and better to use the console versions. I think I have 7k points, which is good for me. And with cooler temps my PC temps stay nice and cool! :toast:
  17. panchoman

panchoman Sold my stars!

Thanks Received:
    quick! pos, lets make a tpu f@h club. i call co captain :D
  18. imperialreign

imperialreign New Member

Thanks Received:
    I use the GPU console as it runs quite a bit faster than the GUI - you can also pick up a little bit more speed if you overclock your GPU at all. The way my rig runs right now, it takes about 8 min for the GPU console to complete one step, and as long as no one turns off my machine, it can usually crank 1 or 2 GPU WU's in a day.

As for the CPU, I use the console there, too. I tried the SMP to see if that would actually make a difference with my HT P4 (they were right on their site, it doesn't), and it actually ran near about twice as slow. It usually takes about 3 days to finish a WU with the CPU for me. Although, I do have the set advanced methods, request WU with deadlines, and accept WU > 5MB, too, which slows it down some; but, if I don't set it for the harder tasks, it has taken over a day just to get through to the work server for assignment - the advanced and oversized WU are assigned from a different server, you get more points for these, too.

Still, though, I haven't been able to contribute with my mobo still being out - I did try to run a CPU WU this last week, took 5 days to complete on this slow mobo and factory clocked P4; not worth that much CPU stress for 120 some odd points.
  19. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    I have my G/F's P4 system running fah 6 beta console, but it won't go over 50% CPU load, even though I allow it 100%. I would debate turning off HT, but it seems to help some with performance outside of fah. It is slowwww at folding atm though.

Rig:

P4 630 3.0/2mb/800FSB L2, Hyper Threading, OC'd to 3.5, 1.4 stock vcore, 1.4 current vcore, 1.38 w/droop, idle and load,
    1GB DDR400 Oc'd to DDR484, 3-4-4-7,
    Abit AS8-V, w/Vdroop mod.
    ATI X850 XT PE w/AC Silencer 5 Rv. 2 Cooler

I haven't looked into the P4 issue too much, but I did not use the -smp flag in FAH 6 beta, so all I can figure is that HT is causing the 50% load. Any thoughts?

So far while using SMP console and GPU console, both slowed down, GPU the most, SMP is still getting 1700+ points per WU, GPU was paused at 60-some-%. As long as my system stays nice 'n cool, I have no problems folding, and folding for TPU at that.

:toast:
  20. nflesher87

nflesher87 Staff

Thanks Received:
    I may be a bit behind on this discussion but the GPU needs a CPU core dedicated to it to work even moderately well, making it an odd trade off whether to run SMP or Reg + GPU
  21. Ben Clarke

Ben Clarke

Thanks Received:
    Well, I'm getting back into this, I'm going to be running regular clients on 100% priority... fair enough, it'll slow my games down, but it's for a good cause.
  22. The_Shady_1 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Joining, Graphical Client.
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2007
  23. imperialreign

imperialreign New Member

Thanks Received:
    my rig is back up and running . . .

got the CPU 6 console buring (actually seems to run a bit faster than 5 did), plus the GPU console, too (cause it cranks and packs 'em away real quick).

I'm having a bit of an issue with the GPU console right now, though . . . I guess the beta5 epxpired or something, as I have to change WIN date/time to get it to open. I bump the date back to 06, and once it's running change th date back to 07. No issues with it asides from this, and WU's seem to be accepted. Hopefully they'll release a new GPU console beta soon . . .

I'm almost debating on trying to run the SMP again with the GPU console running - I haven't had too much of a chane to really determine if it's worth it or not, but if an SMP WU contributes a lot more than a standard CPU WU, I'd say it'd be worth the longer completion time for the F@H project and the TPU standings. . .
  24. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    Had to reinstall all my SMP clients as they were past the expiration date.
    10 Million points folded for TPU
  25. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    Me too...which I find just a little annoying considering they aren't actually changing anything or releasing new versions.

Oh, and is it possible to run the SMP client and the GPU client at the same time? Is anyone doing it? And do they have Folding up and going on the HD 2000 series yet?
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2007