1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

TPU's F@H Team

Discussion in 'Folding@Home' started by W2hCYK, Jun 10, 2006.

1. TeXBill

TeXBill

Thanks Received:
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...8C&cm_mmc=email-_-Main-_-WEM2538-_-tigeremail

Heck of a deal here. The 465 folds about the same as a 470. With the twin frozr 2 cooler it stays nice and cool.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...8C&cm_mmc=email-_-Main-_-WEM2538-_-tigeremail
    I'm not much of a fan for Patriot memory but this is another good deal for a 4Gb stick of memory CL9 1.5V. you get 8Gb for around $80.00 bucs.

Anybody need a Bluray player for less than 50.00 dollars plus shipping.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2010
  2. xbonez New Member

Thanks Received:
    My Phenom II 965 used to give me a PPD of about 4-5k. I stopped folding on it a while back and started using it for crunching. Since then I added two GPUs and have been using them for folding.
    Just now, I restarted folding on my SMP as I OC'ed the processor and wanted to see if it was stable for folding. I am now getting a PPD of 917.8, and it shows up in yellow in FAH GPU Tracker. Whats the reason for this?

Project is 6701.

3. TeXBill

TeXBill

Thanks Received:
    It will be in the yellow till it gets to about at least 3% I think. Not sure why it's not getting the points it use to. My bigadv machines have been taking a hit lately also I'm not sure why. I've had to reset up two of them in the last week. Both have been failing and going into sleep mode. I down clocked them both back down to 3.6Ghz and they seem to be doing ok for now. I check them several times a day just to make sure they are still working and not going into sleep mode.

xbonez says thanks.
  4. xbonez New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, it might be the overclock. Guess I'll return it to stock.

Oh, ok. So now, its gone green. But showing a PPD of 1080, which is about 25% of what it used to get. I'll run a 3D mark vantage just to make sure the CPU isn't getting throttled to lower clocks perhaps due to an unstable OC.

Just finished a 3D Mark vantage test. CPU got a score of 47906 on Performance. Seems about correct so I'd say my processor is running fine.

Another possible reason:
    As I said, I stopped folding on my SMP for about a week, and just restarted, and it continued on the previous WU it was working on. Could it be that WU has expired or something? How can I force it to start a new WU?

On a side note: The perfect motherboard for folders? MSI revealed a motherboard for sandy bridge with 8 PCI-E slots. Four run at x16, 8 run at x8.

[​IMG]

5. TeXBill

TeXBill

Thanks Received:
    open the tracker click on the client tab, click on delete WU. I also delete all the files under that SMP. delete everything under the work folder but not the folder. Delete the tmp files. delete all files but the client cfg. then restart the client. You should be ok it will DL a new wu and a folding core. click ok and then it should start on a new wu.

xbonez says thanks.
  6. TeXBill

TeXBill

Thanks Received:
    the slots are to close together to be able to use all of them. you would have to skip every other one to get a fermi card in the slots. Fermi cards with the big coolers take up two slots. So in fact you would only be using half the slots. 4 instead of the 8 it has.

7. xbonez New Member

Thanks Received:
    Aah, true. Didn't think of that. In fact, my Zalman VF3000f not only covers the PCi-E slot in front of it, but also the one behind it because of rather large screw heads that hold the cooler to the card.

Done. Starting new WU. Lets see what PPD I get on it now.

8. Josh154

Josh154 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Imagine if you could get single slot 460's and 450's in there though :D

9. xbonez New Member

Thanks Received:
    And combine that with a eight core Sandy bridge for bigadv, and you'll have about 100k on one machine!

10. johnspack

johnspack

Thanks Received:
    Hey Bow, I'd take that psu off your hands! I've got the makings of a folding farm here, and no way to power it. I've found out that first class us post is quite cheap to ship to Canada. Well, let me know what you think.

11. mstenholm

Thanks Received:
    xbonez, Josh154 and (FIH) The Don say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  12. xbonez New Member

Thanks Received:
    Haha, now that would be a beast!

An update: I just sold my x4 965, and will buy a x6 1090T. But, until the 1090T gets here I'm without a processor, and so no folding from me for a few days.

also, hot deal: EVGA GTX 480 for $280, shipped:
    http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1572243

Josh154 says thanks.
  13. Josh154

Josh154 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hey guys, quick question. So i got my h50 used and it came with the am3 mounting hardware and the intel hardware. The intel backplate is not the stock h50 one though. It was a cooler master that worked on my 775 board. Is the 775 back plate the same as the 1366 back plate? That would suck to get all my parts and not be able to mount my h50 :(

Oh another thing too. My mobo was sent USPS priority on the 23rd. It is coming from Moberly MO which is less than 500 miles from me. The expected delivery date is december 27th and USPS already dropped off our mail today. Still nothing. My ram and ODD is supposed to be here tomorrow already from UPS. Im just so sick of USPS at this time anymore. I usually always use USPS as a carrier but i may switch to UPS or fedex anymore. I never used to like UPS but the more and more i use them now i like them more and more. If UPS gives you a date i've never received it any later than the date. In fact most of the time i get it about a day earlier.

I just want my mobo so i can put my dam rig together and fold on it :(

EDIT: I also paid for UPS 3 day select on my order from newegg as i didn't want the free newegg saver that took like 4-7 days. I also paid for rush processing. Newegg e-mailed me saying it was in the carries hand on the 28th. I checked the tracking ID and UPS says it's expected delivery date is 1/03/10. Like WTF really? It SHOULD come tomorrow or friday at the latest with UPS 3 day select. If it doesn't come till 1/03/10 im gonna be pissed.

14. thebluebumblebee

thebluebumblebee

Thanks Received:
    Take a chill pill.:rolleyes: Shipping is screwed up all over the country because of the weather.

15. Pembo210

Pembo210 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I think the 1366 is slightly larger

Im sure your board will be there soon. shipping times always get delayed this time of year.
    Also UPS comes with an automatic $100 insurance on all shipments.

Josh154 says thanks.
  16. xbonez New Member

Thanks Received:
    True. I bought RAM from newegg on the 17th. Still not here :p

17. Josh154

Josh154 New Member

Thanks Received:
    So don't give a expected delivery date when you know your not going to reach it. Weather has been fine between missouri and here recently. I mean it's less than 500 miles and with priority it should be here..

18. Pembo210

Pembo210 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ship UPS/FedEx - Automatic tracking on all items.

Josh154 says thanks.
  19. Josh154

Josh154 New Member

Thanks Received:
    So im gonna have to run my stock cooler untill i can get a different back plate? That sucks. That mean's no -bigadv for a while then.

What shipping did you pay for? If it takes my RAM that long jeez.

Man it needs to be 6 already for Muay Thia and BJJ classes haha im just gettin stressed with all this. The gym is the best part of my day :D

20. Josh154

Josh154 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hmm i think i may have to switch to UPS. Automatic tracking and insured up to $100 for their basic shipping. I like that as you have to pay extra for all that with garbage USPS.

21. xbonez New Member

Thanks Received:
    Eggsaver, so free shipping. hence, I'm not complaining. Plus we've had bad, bad weather here.

22. Josh154

Josh154 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ohh alright that explains it then :p Hopefully mine comes within the expected three days and my mobo comes tomorrow :D

23. thebluebumblebee

thebluebumblebee

Thanks Received:
    You don't understand shipping. It doesn't always go from point "A" to point "B". It often goes through a hub first and that's where it could have gotten snagged. Fedex used to have one hub in Tenn. Every package went through there, so bad weather in Tenn. would screw them up big time.

24. Pembo210

Pembo210 New Member

Thanks Received:
    True. I worked for UPS in Jacksonville, FL several years ago. The main Air package hub was at the Louisville International Airport in Louisville, Kentucky. If I wanted to Overnight a package from Jacksonville (north FL) to Miami (south FL), It would be flown to the KY hub, sorted, then flown back down to Miami. Even though Jax and Miami are 350 miles apart the package ends up traveling close to 1,800 miles

25. xbonez New Member

Thanks Received:
    Had to scrap my plans of upgrading to an x6. There are many cases online of people who have run an x6 on my motherboard at full load overnight ending up burning the VRMs on the motherboard. Apparently this motherboard isnt good at handling x6 because of a 4+1 phase power design. Newer motherboards that were released after x6 employ an 8+2 phase power design. Not worth the risk. I would have loved to upgrade my motherboard too, but I'd rather just wait for bulldozer.