1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

TPU's F@H Team

Discussion in 'Folding@Home' started by W2hCYK, Jun 10, 2006.

1. Polaris573

Polaris573 Senior Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Got it. I had "filter proxy" enabled on the DD-WRT SPI firewall and that was blocking it.

2. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    so ur folding now? w0ot!

3. Solaris17

Thanks Received:
    yup

4. imperialreign

imperialreign New Member

Thanks Received:
    been down for a long while . . .

but, now that I have a quad - once I get my OS back up and tweaked how I like it, and stable (no OS errors, etc), I'll start running SMP in the back ground and make use of the cores that are just chillin. Hell, if I can ever get the GPU clients to work properly as they did before, I can fire both of those up while I'm just browsing online and what not . . . I might have to pick up an old, decrepit monitor out of the classifieds so I can "enable" the second GPU . . . the hot plug 'trick' no longer seems to work as of catalyst 7.12 or so, as I can't just plug my monitor into the second card and enable the desktop and swap the monitor cable back over to the primary card . . . :ohwell:

5. Polaris573

Polaris573 Senior Moderator

Thanks Received:
    I haven't folded in five months and I only moved down one spot? Come on guys :p

6. imperialreign

imperialreign New Member

Thanks Received:
    I've been down 3 months and I don't think I've budged at all :laugh:

7. Solaris17

Thanks Received:
    i will destroy you both

8. imperialreign

imperialreign New Member

Thanks Received:
    bring it! :p

9. Solaris17

Thanks Received:
    lol your game buddy can you handle the heat!?

10. imperialreign

imperialreign New Member

Thanks Received:
    sure thing, I can!

now if I can just get WIN to friggin behave :banghead:

11. DOM

DOM

Thanks Received:
    @Solaris17 & imperialreign what do you guys use to fold ?

12. oily_17

oily_17

Thanks Received:
    Nice to see a bit of competition between members,as it all goes to a good end...

OK ...now chase me down..only a couple of hundred work units..you know you can do it...

KEEP FOLDING!!

Last edited: Mar 9, 2008
  13. imperialreign

imperialreign New Member

Thanks Received:
    well . . . once I get WIN XP stable (again), I'll be running the SMP console, plus, I'll have one GPU console running for each of my 1950 PROs. The two of them together will make use of 1 whole CPU core, so that leaves 3 cores for the SMP. I figure, if I'm not gaming at the moment, might as well but the GPUs to work, and I'll leave SMP at idle so it'll work in the background without slowing down the OS too much.

I've just been dealing with a butt load of OS issues since installing the new hardware . . . started with a corrupt XP installation that was preventing any changes to the registry (would lock up the OS). Took 3 clean installs to fix that (bad HDD partition :rolleyes:). Still in the mix of installing apps and what not when I had a spyware outbreak, took half a day to fix that. Turned on my rig this morning, and WIN wouldn't boot. HAL.dll went on a vacation from System32\ and I couldn't replace it; had to do a repair installation of WIN. Go figure after that, none of my hardware drivers work correctly, so all applications had to be removed so they could be reinstalled properly. Then HAL.dll dissappeared again :banghead: :banghead:

WIN :nutkick: ME

14. DOM

DOM

Thanks Received:
    that sucks, I just started again idk how long its been but its been long time lol

but yours well get them done faster im thinking of just getting a Q6600 or a E8400 cuz the Q9450 has a 8x and the Q9550 has a 8.5 and I dont want to get a new mobo if I can ran all of them but the 9X well help get more of an OC but dont know yet got my income still need 1k to pay off the c card lol

15. imperialreign

imperialreign New Member

Thanks Received:
    I guess it just depends on what you're looking for, TBH. The higher multi will get you to higher CPU clock speeds for sure, but I kinda prefer lower multis as I tend to OC the BUS more. This mobo, I can lower the multi to 6 (IIRC), and the DDR3 should be able to support some insane SYS speeds . . .

but I need a friggin stable OS before I can start OCing anything, ARRGGHHH!!! :banghead:

and one of my buddies responses was "just install Vista, man!" - :shadedshu

16. DOM

DOM

Thanks Received:
    well thats why I use the mem divider running 450fsb and mem at 1125Mhz :p i didnt know you had ddr3 lol so do you need all those HD's why not just get one 750GB or 2 500GB

17. imperialreign

imperialreign New Member

Thanks Received:
    well, the 2 IDE are just old drives that only house media storage and whatnot. I prefer to seperate media files from the HDD housing the OS. 320GB is more than enough for my primary, as all it stores is WIN and any games I install. My reasoning is that the less stuff I have on the primary, the easier it is to keep the drive defragged and optimized.

I was kinda stuck into getting DDR3 when I chose this mobo. I wanted a X38 chipset, and looked at quite a few different boards. I really wanted to stay with an ASUS, and couldn't really find any other brand that stood out from ASUS' offerings. But, all their DDR2 boards didn't have an expansion slot layout that I could work with, whereas this P5E3 was the best I could do. Oh well . . .

the sacrifices we make, huh? :D

18. oily_17

oily_17

Thanks Received:

How you finding DDR3,just setting up my new system with DDR3 Patriot Viper memory and have to see how far over 1600MHz it will go...actually using F&H for stability tset

19. imperialreign

imperialreign New Member

Thanks Received:
    so far been alright - I'm running a pair of 1GB OCZ Platinum 1600, still stock timings at the moment. programs are rather responsive. Every now and then, though, I'll get a little bit of lag between when I command a program to open, and when it actually does. I think this is more from the CPU, though, as I've noticed it likes to throttle the clocks down when at idle.

20. DOM

DOM

Thanks Received:
    I still dont get why your having problems with the OS are you sure its not the mobo ? not liking the old drives cuz are they in rad or just for storage ?

but what do you think for 250 ould be better a card or Q

21. imperialreign

imperialreign New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well, the issue with the OS, I think I just limited down to the INF drivers, for this install. Nothing can access the hardware correctly, which usually says to me a flubbed driver - problem is, one can't just up and remove chipset drivers once theyr'e installed, unless they're out of date, or flagged for some reason.

As to the disappearing HAL.dll, I'm attributing that to an over-ambitious program uninstall utility, that for some reason thought that library was part of it's install, and removed it, or, it mighta been a residual issue from the spyware outbreak I had yesterday/day before, as my rig hadn't been turned off up until last night.

I only have one SATA drive, so no RAID config

. . . not sure what you mean by a new card - you mean a new motherboard? TBH, considering you're already running a dual core, I'd recommend a mobo upgrade first. Sure, the quads are fast, and can multitask better, but the dual core still whip their ass in quite a few applications. There aren't a lot of programs yet that can truly make use of a quad core processor.

22. DOM

DOM

Thanks Received:
    card "gpu" and whats wrong with my mobo :( idk cuz this cpu isnt going to OC more on a new mobo :ohwell: its time to eat :D laterz

23. imperialreign

imperialreign New Member

Thanks Received:
    s'all good, thought you meant mobo :eek: TBH, though, nothing wrong with a 965 mobo, and ASUS = w00t!!!11!

I feel ya on that GPU, though . . . been planning on moving up from these xFired 1950s, too . . .

24. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I sense bad ram in the force.

bad = unstable. check timings and voltages.

25. imperialreign

imperialreign New Member

Thanks Received:
    all stock, currently - way she's going, though, I do intend to run memtest as soon as I have everything stable again.

I haven't had this buggared of a WIN installation since I attempted to run WIN 2k years ago.

Right now, though, I attribute the loss of the .dll to the spyware outbreak Sat night/Sun morn, as I hadn't booted down the rig since clean up until last night, and woke up to errors this morning.