Discussion in 'Folding@Home' started by W2hCYK, Jun 10, 2006.
Science dont care for pretty
Good that you are back in action. I asume that the CPU is crunching....
Dang! That looks like a great deal.
Woot! Just realized I got the 'Crazy Folder' folding badge.
Couple of recent developments:
1. I sold my Q6600 and I need to ship it out tomorrow so my dedicated folding rig will be down for a few days until I receive and setup my i7 920. My folding rig produces close to 35k PPD, so you won't see that from me for the rest of the week.
2. My awesome roommate left for a study abroad program and the guy who has come in hi place has been bitching about how my computers generate so much heat. I told him my computers can't be shut down, and I'm looking for someone to take my spot. As soon as I do, I'm getting the hell out and getting my own apt.
3. My water cooling kit is out for delivery (woot!). Seeing Josh's success with the H50, I'm going to put the water cooling loop in my main rig (my 965 is running hot at 3.6Ghz folding), and put the H50 on the i7. About a month down the line, if I have the cash, I'll sell the H50 and get a custom loop for the i7 too.
My main rig doesn't produce a lot and OC'ing it from 3.4 to maybe 4.0 won't increase my PPD by a lot. I'll just let it run with the H50, and put the WC loop on my i7 920. The increased OC int he 920 will net me more bonus points.
4. Purchased this RAM for the i7 rig CORSAIR XMS3 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3...
5. A few days ago I had mentioned I'd get a friend to join. Well, he did. This is him
6. Haha....dunno whats different today, but its only 10AM here and I've already hit my 24 hr average.
That's a good way to use a Chieptec PSU.
Tell him to register @ TPU and post up. We would like to hear from him.
Deal for the Q6600 fell through, so it'll be a folding for a few more days until I can get rid of it. Sigh...could really do with the cash.
Btw, I also got an Asus GTX 470 I'm looking to sell for 200, shipped & insured. 10% ($20) off for TPU folders. Overclocked, it gives me 15k PPD.
atm yes, i "might" try folding on it sometime, but dunno
yeah what a POS; im gonna sell it to someone under false name just to get rid of that thing lol
Awesome man glad to see you got your rig running! I myself got my rig running and it's sweet to be running!
1. Ill make up that 35k PPD for you while it's gone! My i7 is still chomping away and boy does it seem to be stable so far! 35% complete and still running strong at about 62C!
2. Roomate's are a joke! Can you open a window? I have my window opened about 2 inches and with the heat of my two rig's in my room my room is probably 2 degrees cooler then the rest of the house which is usually like 72F so i like my room temp much better
3. Get that rasa kit mounted on your 965 until you get the i7 rig! I honestly would probably leave the rasa kit on your amd, it's suggested not to go over 55C on amd for a 24/7 over clock and trust me, the h50 will definitely be bogging on that and getting overloaded. When i first ran my h50 on my unlocked to a phenom quad athlon x3 and clocked to 3.8 my h50 could never keep up with it. Not even, close so i had to run like 3.5ghz. My h50 is doing great with my i7 really. Once i get some different TIM and, i need to lap the bottom of my h50 (she's pretty beat up) temps should be amazing.
4. That RAM look's like about the same exact stuff as mine except with a different name and colors! My gskill stuff is 1600mhz, 9-9-9-24 and it's also $74.99 on newegg right now. I managed to get mine on sale for $64.99 It's great ram so far, i have it running at 784mhz with a 191 bclk, so it's almost running it's rated 1600mhz. Timings are all still 9-9-9-24 as i want this rig to be rock solid stable for -bigadv units so i don't care about my ram
Here's my ram. Mine actually came with black PCB's and not green so it looks mucho better!
5. That's awesome man! What is he all folding on for hardware? Get him to join TPU we'd love to interact with him and show him some good deals and get addicted just like the rest of us!
6. That's awesome man! You've definitely been putting out some great PPD recently! We both kinda started off with the same PPD and now look at us keep upgrading What's your total PPD right now with all your hardware? Im putting out about 41k according to HFM.
Bummer on the q6600 deal If your a member over at OCN post it up there. Those things seem to fly over there! When i was looking for a q6600 it didn't seem like they would last for more then a day over there. Oh well at least it's more PPD for you!
I reallly want that 470 I just talked to a buddie last night and asked him if he had any work for me and he said he has two semi's that need to be washed and waxed and he get's 500 a truck and would pay me hourly. He said 10 bucks a hour and each truck is probably a good 10-15 hours. So if we could get 30 hours on both trucks i could get about $250 by the time i pay for gas coming home. So i could probably buy that card from you, sell my two gts's for about 120, put that cash on what's left, buy that PSU from tex, sell my psu, and my z313's and probably grab another 470. That would be about a 55-60k rig
He folds on a 1090T OC'ed to 4Ghz (he's got the Eco Coolit I sold him), and a GTX 460.
Currently, my folding rig puts out about 35k (2 x 470s = 28k, 8800 = 5k, Q6600 = 2k),
and my main rig another 20k (470 = 16k, x4 965 = 4k)
Sold my 470 about an hour back. Still looking to sell the Q6600 combo.
You can easily pick up 470s on [H] or here for 200 or less.
Cool he should be working his way up in the ranks fairly quickly then! Does he happen to be a member at TPU here yet?
Hey man, thats cool don't worry about it. You gotta do what you gotta do to upgrade! If i make some cash doing these trucks, trust me my rig will be seeing some upgrades!
So now once you get your i7 combo you will have a i7 doing -bigadv,(30k) 2 470's, (28k) 8800(5k) and your 965(maybe 6-7k?) So putting you at about a total of 70k PPD. Not bad!
Just a little update for you all, my rig is producing about 42k now! It's settled in and the numbers are starting to get to be what i want them! Currently HFM is showing 1:12:44:48 until it finishes! So far so stable!
Well UPS just delivered some new parts. I ordered the 1100T AMD X6, but they were sold out of them, So I picked the X6 1090T instead pretty sure I will be just as happy with the 1090T and saved myself some money in the long run. Plus grabbed another of the GTS450's that are great OC GPU's. That makes 3 of them I have and hopefully this one clocks as good as the other 2 I already have. Now I just need the other parts for my bigadv rig and I can get it running and producing some PPD.
Will you give the X6 a go on -bigadv if it clocks well?
From what I've heard, clocked high the x6 can complete bigadv units, but you won't get as much of a bonus on them. But, I think using an x6 goes against the T&C of folding. I remember reading a thread about this on the folding forum.
ya-ya. The big folders (and Pande) don't like it when you EUE too many in an attempt to over-overclock your CPU thats why I asked "if it clocks well". A stable 4.0 Ghz will make it in time for a decent bonus.
Edit: a must link for new -bigadv folders - the TPF chart http://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=14757&start=0
Here's an official statement by a Pande group staffer about bigadv on six cores
From what it seems, they don't mind too much if you run bigadv on six cores as long as you can make the deadline. However, they don't guarantee you will always be able to do so.
Awesome! So you have a x6 coming online with smp another gts 450 and a big adv rig coming online soon?
My current 1055t is OC to 4.0GHZ and averages around 8K PPD. So hopefully this one I can get a little more out of it.
YES, and YES
I will have 5 bigadv rigs in total when the other parts come in for it.
Plus I have a 655K and now a 1090T. My 5th bigadv rig is a 875K installed in a gigabyte UD4H board. It will have a 480 and a 450 installed in that one.
I have 2 more 480's coming and a 430 along with a couple of 460's coming back from Evga via a RMA. Not sure when the Evga's will be back. They have been gone for almost 2 weeks now.
Holy crap! I would love to have all that hardware! I just need some new gpu's that put out more ppd. Im working on getting something lined up for the end of the week/weekend to get some cash so i can get a psu from you and hopefully get two 470's! And eventually a 450 for phsyx.
I think my boad is x8/x8 and the bottom slot is x4. Would i have any problems running a 450 in the bottom slot as a x4 for psyx? I know their wouldn't be any issues with it folding.
Also would that 750w psu you have handle two 470's and a 450?
I'm sure it will handle the 2 470 and the 450. the PSU comes with hookups for two cards all you would need is a 6pin adapter for the 450 to be able to power it.
I'm running mine with a 870 OC to 4.0GHZ and a 480 and 470 all on the same PSU and it doesn't even get warm. So i don't think you would have any problems running all of that on the same PSU.
We have to have a super-crazy folder badge for you soon. Well you might have to share the glory with buck, bogmali and msgblb, but still you are hooked, big time . You guys are way out of my league.
Ahh sweet! My little OCZ definitely get's warm running everything full load
So it's got 4 8 pin connections?
Us 4 have been trading blows for the last 4 to 6 months now. It's a little friendly competition between us.
I've only been folding for TPU for about 14 months now.
It has 2 8 pin connectors and 2 6 pin connectors. So you can hook up 2 cards with out any problems. The 450 will need a 6 pin adapter to be able to run it on the same PSU.
Look's like i just passed qu4k3r for my spot back! 73rd feels better already! Once i drop some -bigadv units hopefully i can start making my way up there pretty quick!
My new years resolution: be ranked 10 or better for TPU. This year is going to have to come with more hardware changes, and pure dedication!
Alot of it to get in the top 10, its not an unreasonable thing to do. Just think what we have folding and what you would have to get to be able to catch up and stay with the top 10.
You have your work cut out for you young man. So with that being said, get busy and fold your Butt off...
Im folding as much as i can! I have some other hardware right now but it's not worth it to fold on. C2d laptop's only score 1k PPD and my mother and father use them and they don't like the heat from it when it's sitting in their lap, also my sisters i3 330m scores about 2.5k ppd which would help, but you know how 18 year old girls are with their stuff lol
Im trying my hardest to get two 470's and a PSU right now. I don't really have a steady job right now as im waiting for the bestbuy here to start hiring again which they will at the beginning of january.
I've got a kid i used to go to school with (im homeschooled now, all online courses) who's 16 and works at best buy in the geek squad tech department, who is just a retard when i was talking to him. He said updating my graphics drivers was going to brick my cards lmao But he makes like $10.70 a hour at 16 and he said he usually gets about 60 hours every 2 weeks, after school and on weekends.
He actually just built a new 980x rig, and has one 580 now, he's getting 2 more next month he said. I've been trying to recruit him to folding but he claims he need's the 980x and gpu's to run a server for garrys mod
So if i could get a job like that and be making close to 1,200 a month, i'd have all kinds of hardware in the world and might be up there with you guys Trust me i have it pretty good and i know it. My rent's provide me with a vehicle, pay for gas, pay for insurance, my cell phone bill with a data package, all my racing expenses, entry fee's, new dirt bikes, parts gear everything. Oh also living lake side is a huge bonus, they pay for jet ski gas, boat gas. Let's just say im very grateful when it comes to my parents, and they don't care about how much i make the electricty bill go up, their just excited to see my so into computers and love them as much as i do
So yeah, if i get that job at best buy *crossing fingers* i'll definitely be getting some new hardware!
We gotta start somewhere right? Im gonna start with getting some new 470's hopefully soon!
Separate names with a comma.