1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

TPU's F@H Team

Discussion in 'Folding@Home' started by W2hCYK, Jun 10, 2006.

1. xbonez New Member

Thanks Received:
    If I do sell it, it will be to another guy here who wants to trade it for his HTPC. I could ask him though. If he doens't really need it, I could sell it to you, you coupld pay him, and he can ship the HTPC to me

2. Josh154

Josh154 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hmm.. that may work. When do you need that HTPC?

3. xbonez New Member

Thanks Received:
    As soon as possible, so he doesn't end up selling it to someone else.

4. Josh154

Josh154 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Shoot just trade it to him and ill find a 470 when i can.

5. [H]@RD5TUFF

Thanks Received:
    I'm getting sick of GPU Tracker v2 being so glitchy and finiky, anyone have some simple easy to use F@H clients, that I could preferibly set which WU's which GPU or CPU do?

6. xbonez New Member

Thanks Received:
    What problems are you having with it? its worked fine with me so far

7. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    There is not a way to pick the WU you want, its out of our control.

[H]@RD5TUFF says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  8. [H]@RD5TUFF

Thanks Received:
    PPD fluxate even when on the same WU, and for some reason despite being on same WU, CPU goes from 14k PPD to 224.

Also I would like to try out some different clients.

9. Josh154

Josh154 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I just setup all my clients manually. This is the guide i used for setting up clients on my cards, and this is the guide i used for setting up smp/-bigadv.

Then just use HFM to monitor your PPD.

10. Josh154

Josh154 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Oh does anyone have a link to the specs on those PC power and cooling 750w units?

EDIT: Ahh nevermind found it here. Wow 60 amps on the 12v rail! That's nuts :) That was one of the best 53 bucks i've spent :)

11. BUCK NASTY

BUCK NASTY F@H Mod & 4P Enthusiust Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  12. Josh154

Josh154 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, i got it thanks! Have you got a chance to hook yours up yet? How do you like it? I paid the extra 5 bucks to have them test it before they ship it because if i receive it and its DOA i don't have to pay to send it back. If i didn't pay 5 bucks to have them ship it i would be paying much more to ship it back to them.

Also is it just the rear fan? Their isn't a bottom fan or anything?

Since this PSU is a 750w and has a buttload of amps on the 12v rail i could see myself sleeving this PSU as it should last me quite a while :) 60 amps on the 12v is a ton isn't it?

13. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    For a quality 750w unit, 60A is expected. For reference, my Antec 750w has 64A and I believe the Corsair 750s have 60A as well.

Josh154 says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  14. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    This may be a stupid question but with my limited searching skills I still didn't find the answer...

What would make better points over the long haul, keeping my 470's running on this rig, or swap it for the big advanced on my i7 860?

Doing both limits my CPU production and times for the early bonus, but if it stands to make more points, I think logically I should swap out to the 860's production, yes?

15. [H]@RD5TUFF

Thanks Received:
    I love PC Power Cooling, have been using their products for a long time, in fact their offices are based about 35 mins from my house.

Josh154 says thanks.
  16. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    I dont think I am best for answering this, but I think running bigadv with 7 threads and running both 470s would still have you finishing within the bonus time frame.

sneekypeet says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  17. sneekypeet

Thanks Received:
    when I set it up I had to pass the test runs, which was ok. Then when I moved to the actual WUs it seemed the time I was getting for the due date wasnt near long enough to finish the WU for a bonus:( I know that I lost points on the 470s and it seemed it was enough to offset the CPU working. I'm not so sure, based on that, if it was worth all the energy it was taking up to get similar production to when I didnt have the 200+W going to the CPU as well;)

Thanks for the help, I'm not disclaiming your opinion, maybe I just didn't wait long enough to "see" the results. :toast:

18. Josh154

Josh154 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ahh i never really looked at good quality units. Im used to seeing many low amp rails on cheap units. Look's like i made a good decision on my purchase though! :D

Good to know it's a good reputable brand!

19. msgclb

msgclb

Thanks Received:
    I don't remember where I mentioned that I didn't need dummy plugs running multi Fermi cards but now I have a clarification. What I previously said was true at the time but not anymore.

I had been using console clients for my Fermi cards but when I started running some SMP clients I started to switch over to tracker. Every time I tried to run the second card from tracker I got an error the card wasn't supported. To solve this I had to install a dummy plug and reinstall the driver. I might have just been lucky running the console clients.

I don't have an answer for sneekypeet.

20. sneekypeet

Thanks Received:
    I get away without dummies on both. Only issue I ran into with SMP was a machine ID, but I assume the tracker would assign the right IDs.

21. xbonez New Member

Thanks Received:
    Dunno...I'm still running 2 470s and a 8800, without any dummy plus. Monitor is connected to one 470, rest have no connections. My environment is Win 7 Ultimate x64, FA GPU Tracker and the latest nvidia drivers.

22. hertz9753

hertz9753

Thanks Received:
    Since I'm updating my rigs to Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit, I will stick with the dummy plugs.(two rigs done, two left)

23. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    My GTS 450 will not fold unless a monitor is connected (or dummy plug) unless I go into display properties and extend the display manually. The downside to that is that on a reboot you have to do it again. I don't know why the 'dummy plug experience' is not more consistent between us all :laugh:

@Sneeky: the slow down and extended completion time was with 7 threads going only (leaving one for the GPUs) or with all 8 going? I'd like to know whats up as I might do a little more CPU folding after I hit my next WCG Milestone.

Crunching for Team TPU
  24. Josh154

Josh154 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hmm.. I may need to get some dummy plugs if i upgrade to 470's. Hopefully i don't but well see after i get the second card which hopefully isn't too long!

Im folding fine on both of my cards without a dummy plug on the second card.

Just a few quick updates,

1. The i7 at 4.0 is still completely stable! (knock on wood) It's 55% complete right now and is almost giving me 31k PPD. Im crossing my fingers that the chip will remain stable and not fail.

2. My 8800gts's are putting out some great numbers and are flying through all kinds of work units! All my current points have been from my cards, and their actually surprising me right now!
    http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/user_summary.php?s=&u=538399

3. My power supply should be here sometime next week!

4. Im heading to my buddies house tomorrow around noonish, so the rig will be left on and i won't be back till probably sunday night. (hopefully with a whole lotta cash for 470's!) So im really hoping the rig can remain stable. I have about 25 hours till i drop my first -bigadv unit and it should drop another one on or around sunday when im gone. So that could be about 120k points from my bigadv units by the time i get back, plus about 40-50k from my cards. Let's just hope nothing happens to the rig while im gone!

5. After i return, i will forsure be able to get one 470. Here's my current money situation. I figure i can sell both my of 8800's for about $120, and my mod x stream pro for $40 bucks. That's $160 there and im sure i can pick up a 470 for about $180. So i pretty much have 1 card already paid for with my current hardware. But i would rather not have to sell both cards and have the rig down while im waiting for the 470. So hopefully while im gone ill come back with about $200 or more. It could be less, it could be more, i don't really know :mad:

So i was thinking whatever money i get this weekend, ill buy a 470 with, and when i get the 470 install that and put the 8800's up for sale giving me my money for the next 470 :) Until the 8800's sell i will definitely fold on them along with the 470! So hopefully ill be getting about 55k with all 3 cards till i can get a second 470.

If anybody knows someone who would want some evga 8800gts's in the near future, definitely point them my way or let me know about it. They are great cards and i get about 6k PPD out of them. That's nearly $10 bucks for every 1k PPD which is a great investment! Their really not bad gaming cards either.

Sorry for the long post just wanted to keep my bro's updated! :laugh:

25. sneekypeet

Thanks Received:
    I didn't set the priority, I assume it was all 8 and the GPUs.