1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

TPU's F@H Team

Discussion in 'Folding@Home' started by W2hCYK, Jun 10, 2006.

1. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    I see, I was mentioning before running it with 7 threads to leave one open to feed the GPU3 clients. If you try that out let me know how it works please.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  2. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    due to the constant draw of power, I would rather opt for one or the other really. But I may tinker around a bit and see anyways.
  3. BUCK NASTY

BUCK NASTY F@H Mod & 4P Enthusiust Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I've got a record day in the making. Looks like there are still 2 -bidadv to upload later today.:D
    Keep up the phenomenal work guy's!

:toast:
    Crunching for Team TPU
  4. xbonez New Member

Thanks Received:
    Haha....sweet. Broken you 24hr avg already! Today should be an awesome day for you.
  5. Josh154

Josh154 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Awesome buck! It's gonna be hard for me to break my largest day with those 150k days from when you guys where helping me! I'll have to make it work though :) I wanna break it this year.

You had an awesome day yesterday too bonez! Tomorrow is gonna be a amazing day for me as well :D Ill be breaking 800k, and dropping a bigadv. Tomorrow should be worth around 70k for me :rockout:

16 hours until i drop my first -bigadv. Is still running rock solid stable! Beat that 2.6ghz :nutkick:
  6. xbonez New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah...I put out more points yesterday than my total PPD, so I probably got an SMP bonus or something. I eager to see what kind of a bonus you get when you finish your first bigadv. Thats about how much I'll be getting too.
  7. Chicken Patty

Chicken Patty WCG Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Buck is gonna get nasty today :D
    Josh154 says thanks.
  8. mstenholm

Thanks Received:
    Good that you (Buck) take the responsibility for adding some extra points to compensate for the ones that I'm not making today ;)

The other day DustyShiv asked about the difference between the energy comsumption for crunching for a i920 at stock and @ 4.2 GHz. I said that I could find out for him so I started testing last night. My frist crash was when I lowered the bclk from 190 to 133 in Gigabytes software and then I crashed time and time again. OK redwine and OC is not a good cocktail but here is what I found

260 GTX (paused), GB X58A-UD5, 2 TB Black Caviar, 3 Noutua fans, 6 GB RAM, +87 % PSU

Stock @ 1.184 V, 200 Watt
    3.780 @ 1.280 V, 260 Watt
    3.885 @ 1.280 V, 264 Watt
    3.990 @ 1.274 V, 281 Watt, 380 Watt with GPU folding

To be continued.....

I did managed to get my hex running at 4.2 GHz at 1.28 V, but lowered it to 4.15 for 21:06 TPF (63.500 PPD)
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2011
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  9. Josh154

Josh154 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I did a calculator with my TPF and around the time i drop the work unit it will be worth about 62-63k. The work unit without bonuses are worth 9k so -bigadv points esentally come from the bonus points.

i7 rigs are great man you will certainly enjoy yours! Seeing 30k PPD from ONE piece of hardware is amazing!

Holy crap! 21:06 TPF :eek: Why do hex's score twice the PPD when their is only 4 more threads? That is amazing man! I never knew they scored that much PPD!

When i get a job again, i need to grab a 970 :p
  10. xbonez New Member

Thanks Received:
    My x4 965 has been folding stably at 3.8 at stock volts for almost a day now. It hovers around 52 degrees, but runs the hottest during the night (b/w 1am - 4am), when it's generally at 53-55 degrees. Never crosses 55. If I can somehow figure out a way to bring the temps down by a few degrees, I could run it at 4.0, with a slight bump in volts.

Any suggestions on bringing temps down a few degrees? I already have push-pull.
  11. Josh154

Josh154 New Member

Thanks Received:
    This is on your h50? Only thing i could think of is better fan's and lower ambients.

EDIT: That's weird cause your on stock volts. I was never impressed with my h50 running amd, but on my i7 this thing is outstanding!
  12. xbonez New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yup, this is my H50. can't do much about my ambient. Running two yate loons. Could probably go for higher CFM fans (maybe w/shrouds) and move the yate loons to my Rasa radiator.
  13. Josh154

Josh154 New Member

Thanks Received:
    what's your outside temps? Couldn't you set the rig by a window and crack the window? I did that and my h50 is exhausting cool air :p

If you were to get new fan's get some 38mm fan's as they have the highest static pressure. Scythe Ultra kaze 3k rpm fan's are great but noisy. Or scythe gentle typhoon gt 15's are amazing i've heard.
    xbonez says thanks.
  14. meow1990 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm using my Antec 3 speed case fans on the Coolit ECO in push pull. works wonders.

x, just run your fans at full speed, or open the side of your Antec 1200 again :p oh and move that bottom front case fan to the top.

If you see no improvements, just call it a day and install your custom water cooling kit :D
  15. xbonez New Member

Thanks Received:
    My fans are running at full speed, and the Yate Loons have a higher CFM than the antec fans, I think. I also ahve the side panel open right now, but I think closing it might actually lower the temperatures since the side panel fan pulls out some of the hot air.
  16. Josh154

Josh154 New Member

Thanks Received:
    he's saving that baby for the i7 :)

running the better fan's with higher static pressure allows more air to flow through the rad. If you have a high CFM fan and it doesn't have good static pressure it's useless on on rad. Now if you have fan's with high static pressure, their is pressure from the fan to actually push that air through the rad easier even with the resistance of the radiator.

Choosing the right fan's for your radiator can be very difficult, but those two fan's i listed are supposed to be some of the best fan's out there for h50 and h70 users.
  17. Josh154

Josh154 New Member

Thanks Received:
    You have your side panel exhausting? Also is your h50 set-up as intake?
  18. xbonez New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, my H50, sidepanel and top 200mm fans all exhaust. i have 3 120mm fans in the front of the case as intake. The aim was to make it such that air enters from the front and exhausts from the back for good airflow
  19. meow1990 New Member

Thanks Received:
    It was easy for me. Went something like this -

Me: So, I need two identical fans for push pull with this new cooling kit i just got. Hmm...

My Antec 1200: *Tries to hide in a corner*

Me: Wait a minute...
    :D

Anyway, if I can figure out which temperature to look at, my CPU might be anywhere between 41C to 52C on load at 4.1GHz 1.44V. So the cooler is working well either way.
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2011
    BUCK NASTY says thanks.
  20. Josh154

Josh154 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hmm.. What's your ambients?

You want to look at core temp or real temp. It will say core 0 through 5 for you since your running a amd x6. Run a stress test with real or core temp open, and it will say your max temps on the core's. Whatever core has the highest temp is the one i usually look at for my max temps. :D
  21. xbonez New Member

Thanks Received:
    @Meow: The signature widget that shows score updates once every three hours, while the Stanford page updates every hour. Your widget last updated at 9am EST and the Stanford page last updated at 11am EST. The scores on your widget match the score on the Stanford page which means you haven't put out any points in those 2 hours. Any reason to believe your system might have shut down or something?

For example, the score difference b/w my widget and my stanford page is about 14k (probably includes an SMP bonus)
  22. meow1990 New Member

Thanks Received:
    2011-01-06 06:04:10 was the time of last work unit. thats PST right?

Maybe Its crunching a long WU. lets wait and see. Last i saw it was at 7.30 EST. It was starting out WUs.

I left the window open so ambient temps are probably at around 15C so overheating isnt an issue.

Maybe I had a BSOD and restart, in which case my computer is on and not doing anything. I haven't setup any remote monitoring.

Josh, RealTeamp 3.6 doesnt support the 1090T as far as I know. I had tried it.
    CoreTemp shows all core temps, yes, but when I look in the BiOS (which measures using the mobo sensor i would think) it matches the other (higher) temperature more, which puts me on guard.
  23. Josh154

Josh154 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hey i forget when it is, but when is the chimp challenge? IIRC it's sometime around march? Im really looking forward to the CC this year!

Also is Wizz getting anywhere getting compaines to sponsor TPU and get prizes for our folding members? I think i remember reading somewhere that he was working on it.

We need to get some more things at TPU to attract new folders. I know i was easily hooked at OCN because of the foldathons and give a ways. I know folding isn't about that, but that's the first thing that got me started.

If we could get stuff like that to get them interested, they will be hooked like the rest of us :p
  24. Josh154

Josh154 New Member

Thanks Received:
    AFAIK speedfan and BIOS all use the CPU sensor, which isn't actually your core temp's. My BIOS read's much higher than core temp does for me. Id just use core temp :D
  25. meow1990 New Member

Thanks Received:
    So if I OC to, say, 4.5 - 5 GHz and it puts a hole my mobo because the CPU sensor was actually right, can I show up at your doorstep and bonk your head with a rubber hammer? :D