1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

TPU's F@H Team

Discussion in 'Folding@Home' started by W2hCYK, Jun 10, 2006.

1. meow1990 New Member

Thanks Received:
    it's ok. I was addicted to World of Warcraft once. F@H is a more.. forgiving addiction.
  2. Josh154

Josh154 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Not on your wallet! :laugh: It's weird though definitely how folding is addicting. Whenever i have friends come over, remember im like 16 their all like wtf why do you fold? I say it's addicting and they act like im a crack head or somethin lol. It just get's to ya, and thankfully i got addicted at 15 when i started :D Now imagine when im all your guy's age. Ill be putting out 1mil PPD!

Look's like the new guy's are taking over the thread, old timers can't keep up with us young guys :p
  3. xbonez New Member

Thanks Received:
    Old timers just like to stalk this thread. i see Tex active on this thread all the time (sneaky, sneaky tex)
  4. Josh154

Josh154 New Member

Thanks Received:
    They just like to watch at how quickly us youngins are getting addicted :laugh:
  5. TeXBill

TeXBill

Thanks Received:
    No we use the thread to talk about folding problems or other things associated to folding. Not to talk about gaming and other unrelated things.
    Not trying to be mean to you about this. I guess what i mean is if you want to talk about your gaming things do it on messanger or something else.
    Keep this thread about folding messages.
    Don't take this wrong.
  6. Josh154

Josh154 New Member

Thanks Received:
    We need to start a thread like this then :)
  7. TeXBill

TeXBill

Thanks Received:
    Sounds good start one up anybody can do it.
  8. Josh154

Josh154 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Okay, started one here. Sorry for bringing up OT things in this thread. Let's try and keep this thread strictly for those who need help with folding.
    TeXBill says thanks.
  9. xbonez New Member

Thanks Received:
    Received my RAM which I ordered yesterday (newegg/UPS shipping is awesome). Now just waiting on the i7/EVGA x58.
  10. Josh154

Josh154 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Holy crap! You must be close to newegg or something. It took forever for UPS to get me my newegg order. My new PSU i bought is coming UPS ground so we will see how long that takes :laugh:

I bet you can't wait to get that rig running now!
  11. Pembo210

Pembo210 New Member

Thanks Received:
    :D Its like driving by and they left the blinds open... gotta look:D
  12. thebluebumblebee

thebluebumblebee

Thanks Received:
    You need to do the math for the CFM for your case. Start by removing the side panel WHILE the system is running. Be careful, I've heard that those 200MM fans are fragile. I bet the sound coming from the exhaust fans changes. Why? 3X120mm fans can not keep up (unless they're 3000RPM beasts) with 2X200mm + 120MM(H50) (and I don't know if your PSU pulls from inside the case or not). You most likely have a negative pressure in your case, which will hurt the H50. Can you turn one of the 200MM fans around? I found this out with an Antec Solo.

Josh, from a home schooling father, your assignment:D is to figure out the difference between their and they're. You might want to throw in your and you're as well. As for you yougins, we're glad to see your enthusiasm, but hope that you are not just a "flash in the pan".
    xbonez and TeXBill say thanks.
  13. xbonez New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hmm...never though there would be so much math behind this.

My side panel is a 120mm fan.
    So, my intake is: 3x120mm Antec Fans (will try to look what CFM they are)
    My exhaust is: 1x200mm + 2x120mm

I'm guessing my Yate Loons don't have a CFM much higher than the Antec fans. So, if I consider the two 120mm exhausts to cancel out two of the Antec intakes, I'm still left with one Antec intake v/s one 200mm exhaust. That would leave me with negative pressure.

My PSU throws air out of the chassis, and also on my graphics card and my graphics card throws air on the PSU (Zalman VF3000f cooler). I'm pretty sure this isn't ideal since, but the side panel fan falls right in front and in between the gfx card and the PSU, so I was hoping it would exhaust the air that clashes in between.
  14. Pembo210

Pembo210 New Member

Thanks Received:
    :laugh:
    thebluebumblebee says thanks.
  15. Josh154

Josh154 New Member

Thanks Received:
    So you usually want more fan's CFM exhausting rather than intake?

I know i know. I always get mixed up with my their's and yours. Usually if theirs more than one of it i don't get it. English class has always been my least favorite. Don't even get me started on nouns, verb's adjectives and all that garbage. If i can speak english and others can understand me were good :cool: Id rather stick to science and math which are my favorites :)

Also all of my homeschooling is done online though a accredited program, so that's why it's so easy for me to browse TPU all day :D

Im forsure not one of the "flash in a pan" guys. Im truly dedicated to folding, and honestly i don't know why. I hate to see all that hardware doing nothing. It gives me a reason to upgrade :D
    Pembo210 says thanks.
  16. thebluebumblebee

thebluebumblebee

Thanks Received:
    If the PSU is drawing air from inside the case, all three of your intake fans are canceled out!

Edit: This is my favorite case.
  17. Josh154

Josh154 New Member

Thanks Received:
    So do you usually want more intake then exhaust? Right now i have 2 top exhaust, my h50 exhausting, both of my gts's exhaust out the rear, my psu has it's own bottom intake and exhausts out the rear. I have one bottom intake fan, and the side panel is off. With the side panel on i have 2 intake.

Is their something wrong with my airflow?
  18. [H]@RD5TUFF

Thanks Received:
    New Egg is like 100 miles from me, I have ordered stuff at noon on a Monday, and recived it on my door step at 10 AM on a Tuesday, using standard shipping.

Negative pressure in a case is far better than possitive preasure.
  19. Josh154

Josh154 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Dam must be nice! So i have negative air pressure right now with more fan's exhausting than intaking? How is that better also? Isn't it starving for air on the inside of my case?
  20. [H]@RD5TUFF

Thanks Received:
    No it's not because,

1: your case is not air tight, you'd be surprised how much air comes in through gaps, and even the the front bezels of your case.

2: it would be impossible to create a vacume and starve it of air

3: negative air pressure ensures fresh air is always coming in through your intakes, and that the intakes are preforming at their max.

4: it is the best way of creating a continuious air stream over parts, and moving air is always better than stail air sitting around in your case doing nothing but getting warmer.

5: the more air that moves through the case the better
    Josh154 and xbonez say thanks.
  21. Josh154

Josh154 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ahh true. So I shouldn't change how i have my fan's setup, just change them all to higher CFM fans?
  22. thebluebumblebee

thebluebumblebee

Thanks Received:
    I was talking to xbonez. IMHO, positive pressure in a case is more desirable than negative. Exhaust fans working in a negative pressure case work harder, wear out sooner and exhaust less air. I want to control where the air exits from my systems and where it enters. I don't like air getting sucked in around the optical drives and every hole imaginable. If you go and find the reviews of that Silverstone case, you will find one that shows that the idle temps of the GPU dropped, which I think tends to prove my point about the efficiency of a fan in positive vs. negative pressure. That Silverstone case looks expensive, but I learned the hard way recently when I bought a cheap case and then spent $42 on fans for it.:slap: The Silerstone has its draw backs, (show me a case that doesn't) such as the HDD area, but I love how heat is IMMEDIATELY removed from the case. I don't know how the H50 type coolers work (in that case) though. Josh, think about how that airflow would help your NB/SB cooling.
    Agreed.

Oh, and Josh, add there to the list.:laugh: BTW, I have to pause and think about which one of those words to use, so don't think I'm some English grammer expert, I just know that no matter how smart you are, it will be your ability to communicate, both written and verbally, that will determine how far you go in life.
  23. [H]@RD5TUFF

Thanks Received:
    Well that is up to you, every case has their qwerks, and is a little different, it also dpeends on how well you deal with noise levels. Also experemintation isn't a bad thing, as I said each case is different, and as such, it would depend on how and where the parts sit in your case, so you may find changing 1 fan result sin better CPU temp but then your GPU temps go up, or visa versa.

If your happy as it is, leave it, if you feel you can do better by adding some higher CFM fans go for it.

Also for fans in the 120 mm range I highly reccomend the Enermax Magma fans, their cheap super quiet and push nearly 70 CFM, and their not rare, so they can be found at Fry's and Microcenter's ( at least at my local ones, though they all seem to be uniform in the products they carry, at least form what I have seen).
  24. xbonez New Member

Thanks Received:
    @Fan gurus: what is your opinion on shrouds? Should I purchase a few to put on my radiator, or are they not that effective?
  25. Josh154

Josh154 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah definitely. I've learned that buying all new fan's isn't cheap. I've never replaced fan's in any of my cases just for that reason. I thought the stock fan's in my lexa s were decent but after feeling one of my yate's airflow holy crap my stock lexa s fan's are terrible!

My NB cooling has gotten much better since i have very low voltages running to it now at my 4.0 clock. It was weird, with higher voltages i couldn't even run IBT for 2 mins without it just hard restarting. Lowered my voltages and it's stable as ever :confused:

I'll work on which there to use on from now on just for you :p

I feel like i could do better. My yate, i have no clue what it is moves so much more air then my stock nzxt fan's. I think the stock nzxt fan's are good for like 44CFM which is not the best.

Noise is no bother to me either. In fact i like the hum of my fan's. It drounds out all other noises at night with the sump pump running and all that other scary crap :laugh: Getting used to a low hum of air is very easy too. In fact it's weird sleeping without my computer running anymore. I run my cards at 80-90% fan speed so they're(happy blue?) pretty stinkin loud!