1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

TPU's F@H Team

Discussion in 'Folding@Home' started by W2hCYK, Jun 10, 2006.

1. Josh154

Josh154 New Member

Thanks Received:
    That pic of those fan grills looks like an illusion. I was so stumped looking at it at first and then i realized the shot is taken at an angle :laugh: I need to get a fan grill for my rear exhaust on my case.

So i pumped up my IOH voltage from 1.16 to 1.22v and now im running IBT. Im getting about 45.5 gflops and at this same vcore before i was getting like 41-42. I remember on my q6600 i wasn't perfectly stable and my gflops were lower. Im thinking im getting closer to a stable overclock now. Does 45.5 gflops seem right for a i7 at 4.0 with HT and ram at 1528, 9-9-9-24?

I want my rig 100% stable and if that means i can't continue this -bigadv and i need to run prime for 24 hours ill do it. Id rather have a TPF of 34mins than 47mins. My ETA earlier was like 3 days and 12 hours. I can't be having that.

2. xbonez New Member

Thanks Received:
    5 degrees would be nice. That should let me hit 4.0. I've ordered 4 for my rad, so I'll put them on the H50 to see my mileage. If it works as well for me, I'll order 2 more. My 965 will touch 4.0 whether it likes it or not!

Ah, thanks. I'll price it at 20, shipped, i guess.

3. bogmali

bogmali Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Josh-the 2684 -bigadv WU is the worst one to get. If you're TPF is <50 minutes you're doing great. My machines do between 47-51 minutes with 2 GPU's in each rig.

Josh154 says thanks.
  4. Josh154

Josh154 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Alright well when i first got up and running it was getting 34:48 on 2684. No matter what voltages or settings i change when i get shut down it never BSOD. Its just a instant shut down and reboots. BrandonWH told me that if im not getting a BSOD it's not voltage related and it's then hardware related and most likely my PSU isn't enough with both of my cards over clocked and my 920 overclocked. This is all running on a 500w PSU thats meh quality so it wouldn't surprise me if that was my problem.

5. bogmali

Thanks Received:
    500W on an OCed i7 920? What else is hooked up to the rig?

6. xbonez New Member

Thanks Received:
    2 8800 GTs (OC'ed).

Sigh...just remoted into my main rig and it had restarted for some reason. God knows why. Certainly not a temp issue. Anyways, folding resumed.

Josh154 says thanks.
  7. bogmali

Thanks Received:
    Definitely the PSU not having enough juice. I don't run anything less than a 750W on an overclocked i7 system. But that's just me.

Josh154 says thanks.
  8. xbonez New Member

Thanks Received:
  9. Josh154

Josh154 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Alright cool, good thing i got my new PSU coming tomorrow :D Hopefully that will fix my issues im having. It seem's like no matter what vcore i used or voltage on anything it would randomly shut down on IBT. I was running IBT just a little bit ago and getting 47 gflops and it had passed 8 runs. Now i've completed 4 runs getting 43 gflops and now the last 3 runs have been getting 47gflops again. Must be cause i had just fresh restarted or something i have no clue. Im hoping it goes the full 20 runs then when i get my new PSU it will be good.

10. Josh154

Josh154 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well my TPF right now is 50 mins and my PPD is 18k. That's not normal is it for a 2684? Something isn't right anymore and it's bugging the crap out of me.

11. [H]@RD5TUFF

Thanks Received:
  12. TeXBill

TeXBill

Thanks Received:
    It sounds like to me most of your problems are PSU related. Once you get the new PSU and get it installed alot of your problems with the instability will go away. Just stay calm and wait on that to get to you, once it's installed and if you are still having problems then we can try to see if something else is causing your problems. For now just sit back and let your computer do what it can for the time being and try not to have a nervous breakdown:roll:
    It will be ok, bigadv are just that bigadv it puts alot of stress on your computer and everything that is installed on it.:D

Josh154 says thanks.
  13. bogmali

Thanks Received:
    18K PPD is without the bonus point included. HFM will display the point total including bonus and it should somewhere between 50-60K.

Josh154 says thanks.
  14. Josh154

Josh154 New Member

Thanks Received:
    So for now should i take out one gpu and set the other gpu to stock clocks? Id rather have my bigadv doing what it can then two GPU's.

Nah it's got bonus points calculated. Total credit it says is 65k and PPD is 18k with bonus points.

15. johnspack

johnspack

Thanks Received:
    What is TPF anyways? I'm sorry, I should know this! Just noticed it on HFM... Was going for a 17-18k day to get my 5mil, but need to use computer now. Oh well, I'll break it tonight some time.

16. Josh154

Josh154 New Member

Thanks Received:
    time per frame. So however long it takes to complete another 1%

17. msgclb

msgclb

Thanks Received:
    The last week I ran into a few problems that started with my first case of a mouse pad malfunction. My mouse pointer was jerky and of course I thought the worst. Then I noticed the mouse pad was sliding on the desktop as if it was on ice. It might as well been as the gunk had built up on the bottom of the mouse pad so it was as slick as ice. Lucky I had a replacement and I was on to my next problem.

I got me an ASRock X58 Extreme Motherboard to go with a 920-D0 processor and Patriot DDR3-1600 memory.

I used this guide.
    i7-920 CPU on ASRock X58 Extreme Overclocking Guide

My first test was to find my default values using the auto settings. Every thing looked fine and the memory was at DDR3-1440. I started to increase the BCLK an it locked up. I got back into the BIOS and increased the voltages and it still locked up.

After several lock ups I lowered the DRAM Frequency to x6. That allowed me to get this stable system. For problay the next month I'm broke so I won't be able to replace the memory for a while.

[​IMG]

My first folding run and I get an 2684.

[​IMG]

As you'll have noticed I added a couple of GTS 450 cards. Should I remove one or both of the GTS 450 cards? I have 2 days to make a decision.

18. Josh154

Josh154 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hmm so maybe i am getting the right PPD. Im using pretty much the same exact system as you msg. You do all your OCing through software on that board? I do mine through the BIOS.

19. msgclb

msgclb

Thanks Received:
    I use the BIOS. I opened that OC Tuner up to see the voltages, frequencies, etc.

20. TeXBill

TeXBill

Thanks Received:
    I would leave the cards where there are for now and see what it does for a few days. My bigadv rigs also have cards folding with them and I haven't lost that many points because they are included with the rest of the rig. Yes you will lose around 1K to 2K less points but you will gain extra from the cards folding in the rig also.

O and welcome to the bigadv club....:D

21. Josh154

Josh154 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ahh i see. My board isn't bad, but trust me you will want to put a fan on the north bridge:D

22. xbonez New Member

Thanks Received:
    Alright...thoroughly confused. Please help.

I set up my watercooling on the i7 920. Ambient temperature is 24 degrees.

Core temp shows a CPU at idle to be 40+. Everest shows it to be 28-29 but occassionally shows massive spikes.
    Motherboard LED (which shows temp) stays at 28-29, which is same as everest minus the spikes

[​IMG]

Also, is the motherboard temp (34) normal, or is too high?

23. hertz9753

hertz9753

Thanks Received:
  24. Josh154

Josh154 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hmm well does everest report individual core temps? Only thing i could think of is that it is using the motherboard sensor to read the CPU temps. Install HWmonitor and that will give you your actual core temps and it will report CPU temps using the motherboard sensor also. Did you make sure you took off the plastic wrapper off the bottom of the block? Also what TIM are you using? Idle temps seem pretty high to me actually. My h50 idles at like 36C-38C with ambient of like 70°F

hmm well those look like the xeon 1366 chips to me. Do you know if they have HT or not?

25. TeXBill

TeXBill

Thanks Received:
    Seems like good buy if you can get them at a low enough price.

@bonez i would believe your temps from everest ambient temps should not be much over room temps at idle. Motherboards temps should stay pretty close to the same as the room temps. Is the rig in an enclosed case or a tech bench setup? Enclosed case will cause the temps to be a little bit higher tech benchtemps will be real close to your room temps. Maybe like 10C higher. Alot depends on where the probe is on your motherboard. Different vendors put them in different places on the board. What board are you using?