1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

TPU's F@H Team

Discussion in 'Folding@Home' started by W2hCYK, Jun 10, 2006.

1. KieX

Thanks Received:
    Was planning on switching some cpu's over from WCG for the chimp challenge. Had two questions since my memory is a little hazy on CPU folding:

- How do I recover my passkey? If I remember correctly it's needed to do -bigadv
    - I think you needed to return a few results before your points were valid? Is that true or am i winding myself up? (i'd already done SMP on a Q8400 in the past)

Also as chimp challenge is team average PPD increase does that mean we fold under our regular names as opposed to what we did last year?
    BUCK NASTY and oily_17 say thanks.
  2. oily_17

oily_17

Thanks Received:
    See the last point here for recovering your passkey -

http://folding.stanford.edu/English/FAQ-passkey

If you have completed 10 SMP work units with your old passkey then you are good to go for -bigadv work units.

As for the CC rules this year I am not so sure, maybe Buck will confirm if we just fold under our own usernames.
    KieX says thanks.
  3. mstenholm

Thanks Received:
    You will get a pass key from Buck. You need the one that we/Buck create for the not yet known folding name. Or maybe not. Buck will have to set things strait.
    KieX says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  4. KieX

Thanks Received:
    Many thanks

Got the passkey back now, once I get my new computer running this weekend I'll test it out :D
  5. oily_17

oily_17

Thanks Received:
    Yeah I should have said that the passkey is tied to your username, so if we fold under a different name for the CC then a new passkey will be needed.
  6. bogmali

bogmali Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    If we use the same username (which we should), it's the same passkey from last years. If that is the case (awaiting Buck's reply) most of us already have it. If not PM me and I will send it to you.
    KieX says thanks.
  7. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    6 straight 9XX WUs :cool: Stanford must know my 570 doesn't like P680X :laugh:
    Josh154 says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  8. 4x4n

4x4n Xtreme Refugee

Thanks Received:
    I've been away from folding for quite a while, do you guys have a link to a guide for dummies to set up running the big adv units? I've got a couple if i7's I can run for the chimp challenge.
    BUCK NASTY says thanks.
  9. oily_17

oily_17

Thanks Received:
    You can use the FAH GPU Tracker V2 to run your folding clients.To set it up follow this guide here -

http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137137
    4x4n says thanks.
  10. BUCK NASTY

BUCK NASTY F@H Mod & 4P Enthusiust Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Still waiting for clarification from the Team Captain's. Were over a month away, so the details will be worked out quickly in mid-April.
    KieX says thanks.
  11. BUCK NASTY

Thanks Received:
    We will be using "ChimPowerup" again for this years Chimp Challenge. Bogmali created last years Passkey, so he should still have it. We can use Fahtracker v2 for new members.
  12. Josh154

Josh154 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Im gonna need to get that passkey from someone then as this will be my first CC with TPU :rockout:

So is it official yet that it is gonna be a two week challenge and whoevers PPD is the most over there average is the winner? If that's the case would i be better off waiting till around when the CC starts to order some new hard ware?

I have been really debating on this a lot lately about adding some more hardware/building a new -bigadv rig. Another -bigadv rig will give me much more room in the future to add more PPD as well. I could throw in a 8800gts from my main rig, have a 2600k chompin away and then when i feel like addin some more ppd, fill em up with 460's or somethin. That seem's smarter to me than just throw some 460's in my current system.
  13. satelitko

satelitko

Thanks Received:
    Finally got it to work @ 60-70% with the console client by setting it to request 10% in the .cfg. There are some spikes up to 90%, but it drops almost instantly. We'll see how it'll do. :D
  14. bogmali

bogmali Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Alright let's get to the nitty-gritty.......The name is ChimPowerUp and the passkey I will send by PM only (for security purpose). Last year we had a couple of teammates that was using ChimPowerup or Chimpowerup! Make sure you have the username correctly and yes it is case-sensitive. Screenie on EOC:

[​IMG]
    KieX and BUCK NASTY say thanks.
  15. BUCK NASTY

Thanks Received:
    Team points will suffer for a little as we help out the WCG team. Feel free to join us if you like. Hopefully we can call upon them for the CC in about a month. I'll prob be averaging 100K F@H PPD for the next 30 days.
    Chicken Patty and Josh154 say thanks.
  16. Aceman.au

Aceman.au

Thanks Received:
    I dont really understand how this works. But I check out your stats. And I must say bogmali is carrying the TPU team @ No.1
  17. msgclb

msgclb

Thanks Received:
    All of my points today came from my GPUs. With the right WUs I could have 100K PPD but it looks like I will usually have around 90K.

I finally got around to doing my taxes and the IRS wants $300 more than I'm willing to give them. I decided to ignore the IRS for now and spend that $300 on another GPU. Hopefully by Friday I'll be able to up my GPU PPD with an EVGA GTX 560 Ti FPB (Fermi). At least I don't need to worry about the IRS until April 15th.
    Josh154 and thebluebumblebee say thanks.
  18. Josh154

Josh154 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Does anyone run the galaxy gtx 460 768mb versions? I've been lookin and you can get brand new cards for around 130. So about 260 for 2 brand 460s isnt too bad
  19. Chicken Patty

Chicken Patty WCG Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    my folding rig is back up. :rockout:
    mstenholm, msgclb, Josh154 and 2 others say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  20. johnspack

Thanks Received:
    Just wondering, but is everyone getting 494 pointers? For weeks now, all 4 all my cards get nothing but 494s, and their ppd is lousy.
    More than 25k PPD
  21. thebluebumblebee

thebluebumblebee

Thanks Received:
    I have an 8800GT and an 8800GTS-512 Folding. The GTS has been stuck on 494's for the last 2 weeks while the GT has had everything but 494's, although it has been stuck on 494's in the past. Just seems to be to which server you connect. And yes, the PPD sucks!:ohwell:
    More than 25k PPD
  22. mstenholm

Thanks Received:
    My 460 MSI Cyclone that has been folding @ 820 MHz (used to be 850 but it failed a couple of times) lately suddenly got very hot on the back side and started to fail and smell like burnt electronic. I never noticed the PCB temps but the GPU temp stayed about the same. Any idea to why? Nothing was changed during the transition from normal to hot (fans, CPU, ambient temp).
  23. Chicken Patty

Chicken Patty WCG Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Only thing I can think of is that the voltage regulation on the card went to crap and started to run more voltage than what you had it set at? Don't know why something would start to overheat all of the sudden without any changes.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  24. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    So the new v7 Client should be coming out soon and following that the OpenCL based ATI GPU3 Client will be released as well.

If ATI cards outperform Nvidia in Folding- Im making the switch.
    Chicken Patty says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  25. thebluebumblebee

thebluebumblebee

Thanks Received:
    Did this happen during the recent 9xx WU's? IIRC, they heat up the cards more than the 1xxx WU's.
    More than 25k PPD